1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Fermi High End Owners Club (ATi enter @ Risk)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AoE, 30 Jan 2012.

1. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

lmao I know bro, i will be addressing this issue, this week, any cheap suggestions? £180 max?

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

LG IPS231 or the IPS235 version (better stand without HDMI, or HDMI with non-adjustable stand).

Nice budget IPS display (about £150) that's proven it's worth among members of this forum :).

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

for £180, the Dell U2410.

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Is that secondhand ? Or refurb ?

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

+1 to this, the monitor I'm using at the moment until my U3011 arrives, I know recently they have been quite difficult to get hold of, but ebuyer did get some stock in recently, if not there's always the Dell U2311m or Asus PA23 (I think it's called) the Asus is slightly over you budget I believe at £230 while Dell is usually around £200

Oh and I have 2 580's to make up for my tiny pekker, shall post a pic OF THE CARDS later when I get home from work, although if anyone hasn't seen then already I'll be amazed and Aoe I'll reply to your Pm when I get home:thumb:

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Urm, not quite. We ran 2 benchmarks... you won 1, I won 1. Benchmarks can be very easily optimised, to run faster on different cards. ATI did this with the HD2900XT in 3Dmark06, making out it was a very fast card, but no match for the 8800GTX/Ultra in real world games.

I would still be happy to do some real world game testing against your HD7970's to prove this. ;)

7. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

now i can join in this thread and those of you with 570s go start your own thread, this is a 580 thread and i dont care if you can overclock it to higher speeds then the 580 its still a 570 and thats final :D

im just kidding

@ Batman, YGPM!

8. Tangster

Sorry, that'd be refurb prices. For new it's probably U2312 prices or the LGs.

That went somewhere horrible.:naughty:

9. Tangster

Doublepost

10. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

haha yea, god feels good dont it bro lol

11. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

You specifically chose an outdated, inefficient, buggy engine that is biased towards nVidia.

If we had added 3DMark 11, Lost Planet 2, and any number of any DX11 benchmarks you'd have seen the true performance difference.

So, post up some 3DM11, & LP2 scores and we'll see :thumb:

12. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

is this IPS thing only about the viewing angle? because I always most of the time sit in front of the monitor so dont see what the image is like any other way. So any other pros?

13. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Haha, only because of your dirty mind tangster ;) but still edited just in case :D

Flame I'll reply to your pm when I get home and izools, wanna GPU fight? I've finally got a day of work tomorrow, so shall be tweaking the cards seeing if I can get 1.1Ghz core :D and seeing as the cards aren't going over 45 degrees on my loop and I only need 1.18 vcore to do 1Ghz I reckon I can :D

14. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

1.1 on the core, sweet good luck with that. 1,050 stable would be nice.

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Benchmarks are not real world performance, they are just benchmarks...

Best thing to do is, setup our systems side to side, and run some games, and record the FPS, this will give us both the real world performance figures. As I know from experience CF will drop FPS and give micro shuttering. Thats the differences of being able to play a game smoothly and not shuttery. :)

16. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

damn don't want to derail this thread but maybe a few short vid clips of each playing a game on same res, same settings and fraps could do it?

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You'll find that your CPU has more to do with that than the GPU ;) Most of the Futuremark benches are tied to the CPU, which is why I got a MASSIVE boost in graphics HW points by getting a 990X and raping benchies at 5GHz, beating several sumbissions with superior graphics cards.

When I get my 480 and OC it to 870MHz core, let's see who gets the best Vantage score, eh? :D

AoE: why not make this the Fermi high end owners thread? You still get to fluff up your pompoms with the rest of the :clap: 580 cheerleading team :clap:

:D :D :D

18. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

As requested

LennyRhys likes this.
  19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

That's the main benefit, but other people will tell you different (likely because they came from older crappy displays).

Regardless, at that price point those LG's are generally regarded as the best value in terms of colour reproduction, build quality, and yes viewing angles, but they will suffer (like most IPS displays) from a whitesh glow on dark colours which can't be avoided even up to the high end of displays (apart from the really high end which contain AT-W polarizers to prevent the glow).

Anyway, I doubt you'll be disappointed with them and they'll certainly trounce your 19" Acer haha :).

20. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

A 580 at 1.1 GHz would have to be sweet! I had to mod the BIOS to get enough volts to run my 570 at 1070 stable. No way I would run it that high other than when benching though - I may be able to keep my temps under control, but I can't say the same for chip degradation if I left it there :)

I really must get round to reflashing the original BIOS. I'd hate to have the card die on me then find the warranty is void because of the modded BIOS :)