1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I have continued with the slitting saw milling and I don't think I will touch a slitting saw ever again when this project is done :) Standard procedure as the previus parts. This time I made One larger piece that I cut into smaller parts.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Yay.. her is the finished Chuck Norris chocolate bar.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

And since my name is not Norris, I will have to use the mill to devide it into smaller parts.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Now there is only 4 more parts to mill down before Im done with this slitting saw, qube madness, and can go on with drilling holes and finishing the rest of the case.

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. G0oB

G0oB Fresh made Modder

You got some skills there mate ! looking awesome !

looking forward to see the result :]

3. marius_mym

marius_mym What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Awesome skills Gnu !!! Can't wait to see another update :D!

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks a lot.

Thanks, well hopefully there will be another one tomorrow ;)

5. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Very nice work so far. Those blocks look very nice. I´m surely staying to watch ;)

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks, nice to hear your watching.

7. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Hey Gnu! Great work! I'll be following your project. You may wish to double check the height differential between your GPU and CPU, they may or may not be the same as mine due to differences in the solder pads, sometimes they sit higher or lower, as much as 0.020" in fact. I am glad I was able to help you however in some small way. Also, what feeds and speeds are you running those slitting saws at? Always been interested but never wanted to touch them haha.

Where in Sweden do you live? I just returned from Europe a few months ago :D I didn't learn much, but, Jag gillar projekt, glada för kompletta!

Last edited: 10 Dec 2010
  8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

ULTRA OVERKILL COOLING!

9. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks, nice to hear your watching. I'll make shure to check the alignment of the CPU and GPU, thanks for pointing that out. I don't have acess to a super hightech measuring device as you do though, but I'll guess I'll find a way to measure it.

When I used the Slitting saw (63mm) I had a speed of 430 rpm, the feed was around 100-200mm/m. It's probably not the most perfect values but since the setup was not perfect either (wobbly toolholder, unsturdy parts) it was what feelt okay. You should try them out though, pretty usefull.

I live in Gothenburg (Göteborg). May I ask what brought you all the way from arizona to this cold and wet part of the world?
    Nice try on the swedish, pretty understandable :thumb:
    Overkill?!? me?!?! naa :D

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

FINALLY!
    The slitting saw terror is done. I managed to get the last pieces of the heatsink machined and this is how they look.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here are all the parts in an "exploaded" view.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

And together as the complete unit. A total of 216 cubes (15mm each)
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

So here is the state so far and the kind modell for this whole project, what do you think? Any similarities?
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

If you havn't figured it out already the reason for making the heatsink in so many parts is because they will be anodized in different colors. And this is where I would like som feedbak from you guys. Black and green is already pretty obvious that I will use, but what about the white on the face and the spots. I'm currently thinking of 2 options:

1: is to brush the surface (as I will do with the black and green parts) and nature anodize it giving it that dull grey/silver aluminium look.

2:Polish it to a mirror finish.

What is your opinion?

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd anodize them so that they're not more shiney then the other parts.

12. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I concurr, shiney finish finish would only really work if the other parts were painted with a gloss finish to match..

13. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

+1

Last edited: 11 Dec 2010
  14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thx for the replies guys. Good point in keeping the same level of shinyness on all points. I also think the mirrorfinish might destroy the look of it since the "white" would keep changing color to whatever it reflects. And basically never be white.

15. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

I would say though, if you went with a matte finish, that might look good also, but they would all have to be the same

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah I guess that is what Im heading for, a sligtly brushed/matte finish on all parts, black, green and nature. Thanks for the feedback

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

All I see is Minecraft :(

Love your metal work The_Gnu and really enjoying this log. keep it up :)

18. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Very nice work on these parts. You guys with these milling machines make me jealous.

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hopefully you'll se more 8-bit than mincraft when It get some colors :)
    Thanks for watching

Thanks, don't worry I bet you'll have acess to one in the future aswell.

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Here we go again. During my non update time I have been sanding on the CPU/heatpipe block. There were two problems with the holes for the heatpipes. They had the wrong size/shape and also the two hole-halves were not perfectly aligned. I tried to solve this by sanding down different parts/sides but this took a lot of time and the result wasn't that greate. I decided to try my last plan. I enlarged the 6 screw holes in the lid, this allowed me to put the lid at a slight angle and solve the missalignmentproblem of the heatpipe holes. After that I used a drill of the right size to drill away the small amount that was needed to make the holes the right shape. The fit was perfect as I can now screw both the lid and bottom together with the heatpipes installed and the heatpipes are really stuck.

While sanding the piece I dropped it right into the sink. :wallbash: And with the softness of Aluminum... it left some dents as can be seen in the picture below. So back to the mill for some adjustments.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here you can se that I also added another slot to make room for one of the components on the motherboard that was in the way. I also did some adjustment of the height different on the sligtly elevated part that will cool the CPU. I have to thank Sanatarium for pointing this out. I measured the height difference to 0,410mm.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I decided to make a chamfer on the edge of the Lid. The screw is just there for some distance reference.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here you can see the components that I had to make room for.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I was kind of expecting this to happen. One of the pipes interfere with the mounting hole. Not a big problem though but requires some custom motherboard standoffs
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

It seems like I got the height differense of the block right as both CPU and GPU seem to have pretty good contact.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011