1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. asura

asura jack of all trades

That, is most impressive. The chamfering turned out great, the stepping of the block over caps etc adds to the massiveness and thoroughness of it, and the heat pipes thrusting around the board look so elegant and fluid, I'm really interested to see what you do with the fins to make them a bit special.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

+ rep for passively cooling a passive cooled board.:D
    It's little crazy things like this that makes Bit fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing a chocolate bar case.

-and more work on Protohype.

The_Gnu likes this.
  3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The Zotac IONITX A-E isn't passively cooled by default. Temps get too high if you use the standard-heatsink without a fan, so it requires it's fan mounted to the heatsink, or any other form of blowing air at it, like a decent case-fan etc.

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for your detailed review :) Regarding the heatpipes, I'm glad I managed to find and scavange already prebent heatpipes. Most diy bending of heatpipes I've seen end up looking really poor and I trie to avoid that as much as possible

hehe thanks cheap.. or should I say Chuck ;) +rep to you for that. As jrs77 stated above, I don't think the board is intended to run passive as it gets really hot under load. However without any hard load and with a good ventilated case, it might work.

Regarding ProtoHype, I have been redesigning the whole backplate as I didn't like the look the outcome of it. I intend to do some work on that during the holidays.

Yeah thats true. I did a CPU stresstest with the board laying free on a table and stopped when it reached 80°C before I aborted. During Idle the temp was around 60°C.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I guess that's true.:lol: The one I have in the Ion cube has a dead-slow 120mm fan blowing over it.

6. jnco_analog

jnco_analog What's a Dremel?

Marvelous project The_Gnu, from concept to realisation... i've been a long time follower since your widescreen projector but this one blows my mind. :jawdrop:
    Probably because i've been wanting to build a passive cooled cpu/gpu rig myself for years but never had the guts since i've never built a computer case from scratch before.

Do you think it's possible to passively cool an i7 930 @ stock (2.8Ghz) + an ATI HD5870 with the right amount of metal and the right design? Or at least have the option to cool it pasively when idle...
    If you happen to have some information regarding heatpipes/heatsinks/passive cooling (links, books, papers, wathever) that you think i might find youseful to design somethink like that i would be very grateful :D

And respect once again for doing a wonderful job project after project :clap:

7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

you can passively cool anything. its only a matter of space.

you might be interested in project hush. core i7-750 @ 4ghz, passively cooled.

PS, sorry for linking another project log to yours, Gnu :(

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for your comments. 4 posts in 4 years I have to say feel realy honored to get this years post from you:thumb:. The projector project Is so old it doesn't even have a prefix :)

As Wicked_Sludge said you can pretty much cool anything passively. It's all about the cooling capasity of the cooling you build. And when it comes to alu heatsinks, bigger is better. You can pretty easy calculate how much a heatsink is able to cool by using THIS nice little calculator.

Most info I have about these kind of stuff is from random google image links. So idon't remember any perticular site. Except THIS one. It's a passively cooled computer that shows you one way of doing it, but then there is always other ways. If you have an Idea, try it and don't forget to post the log here for others to take part as well :) Good luck

Np at all. That project is wonderfull and I don't mind giving it some extra credit in here.

9. jnco_analog

jnco_analog What's a Dremel?

I am a long time reader here at bit-tech but I don't post very often :D but you should feel honored, your work is realy impressive :thumb:

If I ever decide to build it I'll definitely post the log here!

Thank you (and Wicked_Sludge) so much for the links, some of them are really helpful!

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking very excellent GNU & can't wait to see the mushroom all anodised that'll be too awesome :D:jawdrop::rock::clap:.

11. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I'll be watching this one. Love passive builds.

12. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Can't wait to see more of this : )

What kind of storage are you going to have?....

Dosent look like there is going to be Mushroom

Sorry i had too...

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks again for the nice comments and nice to hear you find the links usefull. I'm expecting a worklog from you soon ;) hehe

Thanks, Yeah I'm looking forward to the anodizing aswell, will give them a call next week to sort some things out.

Thanks, so do I :)

Thanks, ehm... hm.. I don't think I got that joke. I'll just blame my crapy english and pretend that I did and do this...:hehe:

progress update: I'm currently working on the supporting backplate for the whole mushroom heatsink at the moment and will show some pics of that this weekend.

Until then: Happy new year

Last edited: 31 Dec 2010
  14. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

:D

@ The GNU - 'much room'

Cant wait to see the anodizing and it all coming together, mod on! :dremel:

:thumb:

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

DOH:wallbash:

Thanks

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

After some rest during the holidays, I've managed to make the backside of the heatsink/base of the case. Unfortunately the Y travell of the mill was 10mm to short and I had to mill the piece in two turns. Luckely I didn't screw up the alignment.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

As you will see in this photo, the milling gave some pretty bad edges. This was mainly because of the dull endmill that I was forced to use. But theres nothing that some elbow grease won't fix.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The round courners left from the milling process had to be removed with same basic filing.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

That is one scratchy piece of alu in desperately need of...
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

..some wetsanding
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I cleaned up the internal corners with these needle files to make them really sharp
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

And there it is.. time to start drilling the 60+ holes to mount all the heatsinkparts and the rest of the hardware.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Oh I almost forgot. I was planing to make a touchbutton on/off switch based on the QT113A Microcontroller. The plan was to make one part of the anodized heatsink as the "touch sensitive part". I then realized that since anodized alu doesn't conduct electricity, I'm pretty shure it won't work. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I am so so so curious to see what the final outcome will look like!!! Mod on pls! :)

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Well if was able to mod at the speed you are:)thumb:), then It would be done in a week. But since Im not you, you will have to hold on to that curiosity for a couple of more weeks :)

19. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I never saw the Mario theme coming! And i lol´d hard when i did:D Amazing work my friend! I cant wait to see how it will look out in 8 bit ;)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I had a rough guess it was the 8-bit mushroom but thought no he wouldn't lol & then I thought too awesome an ultra premium mushroom case is so Cheesecake :D:clap:.