1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Golden Aegis Mod - Finished! Successful boot

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shad0whunter, 17 Aug 2012.

1. Shad0whunter

Shad0whunter What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the comment. :thumb: We will have another update soon with photos and a sketch of the stand, because it is really hard for all viewers to actually "see" the idea. :)

2. Shad0whunter

25.09.2012 Finished with application of resin/fiberglass

Hi guys!

Sorry for the long delay, I've been up to other matters (fixing my car) lately, so it got busy and I couldn't pay much attention to the project....BUT we are back online and will be continuing with the work. Today we FINISHED :clap: (really glad with the fact) with the whole epoxide resin thing. When it all dries out, the shield is pretty much done. I say gladly because the smell from this resin has spread almost everywhere in the block. Each time we work with it...headache is present, we use masks but still...no result.

Okay... not really something different as photos, but progress is made, I assure you!

[​IMG]

Back of the shield, with the cardboard used as and edge. So, we thought about applying 2 final layers of resin/fiberglass and that would be it.

[​IMG]

More resin and fiberglass...I think this is the time to say that we used as much as 5 paint brushes for the whole process. After using the hardener, each brush became totally unusable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the final layers of resin/fiberglass combo. It looks like something very far from perfect. :D
    After 24 hours we will cut the excess edges of fiberglass and probably make one layer of black paint like a base layer, so that when we paint the gold color it would be richer.

[​IMG]

And some aluminium parts which will be used for the stand. Of course these are not all that will be used, we have plans of buying some more.
    From now on I think comes the more pleasant and enjoyable part of the project - the stand!
    We are still considering the design and making hand drawings of what it would look like.

Thanks for viewing and the upcoming update will be soon... :)

3. Shad0whunter

Hello again!

Yet another BIG sponsor has joined the cause... Cooler Master with a sample of their CM Silent Pro GOLD 600W PSU. :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking nice! Really nice, matches the whole color scheme I think...and performance wise - plenty of power for the hardware, with a good single 12V rail :)

Huge THANKS to Cooler Master for supplying us with this!

So...that's all we've got in terms of sponsored parts:

Elite Group, Noctua, Cooler Master

[​IMG]

4. Rockfire

Rockfire What's a Dremel?

Yeah!It's looking great so far,with this parts and your work.I am eager to see the project finished soon as possible!

5. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

keep on building! commets are always hard to get until you get some results... =)

6. Shad0whunter

Thanks mate! Going for first layers of paint job these days, so we'd have update soon!

Keep on building we will. :)

7. Shad0whunter

Update - 04.10.12

Hello again guys!

We are having minor drawbacks with the shield and could not apply paint today. It seems the resin is still sticky and malleable. I have left it on the balcony to have some fresh air and sun rays to help the process. We didn't want to risk to paint the base layer and we made the ornament job and some edge filling touches to the shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We cut the unnecessary fiberglass from the edge of the shield, but it left tiny holes because of the cardboard, which we later filled in.

[​IMG]

This is what we are after. To affix the MB onto the back of the shield. (not really sure how we'd do it)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some side grinding because the fiberglass left a nasty sharp edge.

[​IMG]

The ornament that made it all look a little more "spartan".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We could not leave the cardboard unprotected due to its soft surface, so we decided to add "rage proof durability" :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filled holes of the side cardboard.

[​IMG]

That was for today. I am kinda pleased with the result. It looks realistic enough for me. :D

Leave a comment if you think it looks like a spartan shield!

Thanks for viewing guys and we'll be back soon with some paint and ideas for the MB fix behind the shield. :)

8. Siskods9

Siskods9 What's a Dremel?

Am looking forward to seeing the rest of your updates!

9. Shad0whunter

Thank you sir! :) Glad you like it

10. Shad0whunter

Hello again friends!

We are back again to show you today's update of the project. After nice drying process on the balcony the shield was good enough for paint.

[​IMG]

We did a little grinding on the shield from all sides in order to be a little more flat, without some things bulging out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First layer gold paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black paint for second, to get a better coverage of the gold later.

[​IMG]

Back of the shiled - here we did make less layers of paint due to the not-so-important back part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, the MB and shield paint have some difference, but I can say that it's within the acceptable boundaries. The MB has a more "copper" like color. And I am not sure about the color accuracy of the camera I am taking photos with.

[​IMG]

We mounted the top ATX holes of the MB on the aluminium parts i showed you before. Today was only for paint job, so I am happy we had the time to mount the part of the MB stand with the MB itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has good enough clearance and we are not expecting any problems with this whatsoever.
    Tomorrow we have to continue with the MB stand and figure out a way of fixing it to the back of the shield. So stay tuned, another update is coming soon guys! :)

Thanks for viewing...

11. Shad0whunter

More progress with the project!

I guess you're all more interested in photos than my bad (bulgarian) english capabilities. So..this is the new update with the MB attached to the back of the shield.

[​IMG]

Earlier I showed you some aluminium parts, and here they come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top middle stand off was fixed with a nut, because we made a slightly bigger hole and it moved around, so that was the only decision we came up with at that moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some grinding to help the application of paint. We went with all black paint this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the mounted stand offs.

[​IMG]

Measuring the center of the shield.

[​IMG]

2 holes for the 2 bolts.
    The white things are only for easier fixing of the stand for the MB. We did remove them later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I missed some 2-3 photos, but we were busy and I shot only the actual result.

[​IMG]

This is only with 1 plate attached. I can say it doesn't even think of moving or going anywhere. But we'll put the other one too for better stability. On the bottom will be mounted only a couple of stand offs, without a plate.

[​IMG]

That's it for now...more on the way! :)

12. Rockfire

Rockfire What's a Dremel?

13. Shad0whunter

The stand is finally done...

:D Thanks man! Glad you like it.

Hello guys!

Okay...today I can finally say we are ready with the MB stand and we placed the CPU cooler so that you can see the looks of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From all the touching the paint has fainted and we had to apply a final back layer. So now all the back elements are golden...

[​IMG]

We made the bolts at the front invisible and later on we'll grind them and paint one more layer of gold and call it an end with the paint...

...and a moment that at least we waited for a long time now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it is...almost.
    We have some more work to do. I wanted to post the update to give you and idea of the actual look.

More updates are coming...we have to make a spartan spear and to make holes for the arrows in the shield... :thumb:

14. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Very interesting build.
    I am eager to see it finished :)

15. Shad0whunter

Hello and sorry for the long delay with no updates!

We have a PSU bracket design to fix to the shield now and soon it will be ready. Material - stainless steel. Design by "Dk_vr" whom I thank very much! :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll be bend to secure the PSU and act as a stand for the whole construction.

Meanwhile we found ourselves some thematic arrows and made the leather handles on the back of the shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leather is secured with bolts to the shield and it's quite strong. The shield becomes almost usable in combat. :D

[​IMG]

Next time we'll be (hopefully) arranging arrows and fixing the PSU bracket.

Updates on the way...

Last edited: 2 Dec 2012
  16. Shad0whunter

Guys,we will be back in the first days of the new 2013! Having some delay with the PSU bracket due to holidays...After it's ready we will be posting updates more often than usual! Thank you for the patience.

Have a magical Christmas and Happy New Year eve!

17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Are you going to mod the noctua fan at all ? Just think it would look great in the black and gold theme, with maybe just a noctua logo in the fan centre

18. Shad0whunter

We are considering painting the fan, yes! :D I am sharing your opinion.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2012
  19. Shad0whunter

Hello guys, we wish you a better year, happiness and pretty much all the luck you can get! :thumb:

It's time for a new update. Nothing extreme, but tomorrow I'll post another, so bear with us. We got the PSU bracket, or stand...doesn't really matter, now we have to grind it to give it a better look, paint and secure it to the shield. It will all be kept straight by it, kind of hoping to be steady enough. First impressions only with holding the parts are good, we'' see what tomorrow brings us.

So...here's some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So much for today. Tomorrow we have grinding, fixing the bracket, making openings, paint and...whatever we have time for. :worried:

20. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

looking good, gold themes seem to be cropping up a bit more,
    look forward to more!