1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I think I know what to do now! :D ;)

But I guess the information is good for others as well lol!

Thanks!

Edit: these sites you are using for hosting the files are rubbish, e-mail me the overclocked bios and i'll host them for you.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Just make sure both Master and slave vbios flash properly(You can check in dos after you flash each vbios by making sure New PN has the same PN as the old one. If it is blank, then the flash has not worked properly), as I was having some trouble getting the slave to flash.
    If this does happen, then let me know and I will upload a new slave vbios.

Cheers,

Simon.

P.S I would keep the original vbios on the usb stick. This will let you flash either vbios if either one fails.
    I.E
    By changing atiflash -p 0 ***** -f (****** is the name of the vbios you are flashing).

3. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Right ok, don't forget to e-mail me the files, the current links are not working for me and I'm happy to host them for you.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for the better upload site.
    (New link has been added)

Cheers,

Simon.

5. satanMD

satanMD What's a Dremel?

Hello, you probably get sick of people asking but here goes.

I have a HIS 5970, will the sapphire bios work in it or will I need a bios with my own vendor number.

I cool with a EK water block and cant get the temps above 32 degrees and from previous problems below 38 degrees on the stock cooler I have a way to go. Using profile manager I've set the lowest clocks to 850mhz/1200mhz but it doesn't help.

6. satanMD

satanMD What's a Dremel?

I had a fiddle with ATI RBE and found powercolor and HIS use the same generic vendor number so I gave the powercolor bios a go and alls good. Bugger having Windows 7 though as I had to disconnect the harddrives so the DOS usb would boot.

Thanks true_gamer

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

SatanMD,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was in bed at 6pm to start work at 1am.

In future all you need to do to get the usb to boot first, is enter your mobo bios and change HDD boot priority so that the usb stick is first boot.
    (That saves the hassle of disconnecting all HDD):thumb:

I hope the new Bios has fixed your problems.

Please leave feedback for others.

Cheers,

Simon.

Speed,

Hows the overclocked vbios doing for you? Stable on your card?

Cheers,

Simon.

8. qwxc

qwxc What's a Dremel?

I have flashed overclocked v.126 but I don't have waterblock is it ok? Maybe it is better to flash normal v.126 for my sapphire 5970.

I had many problems with my 5970 but you helped me a lot, thanks for that. I am using an msi afterburner to cool mu 5970, I think it's the best I can do. I am using a zalman reserator to cool my cpu but here in belgium I can't find a waterblock for my 5970.

Sorry for my bad english. Which is the best flash I can do?

Thanks true gamer you're the best.

9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Just keep an eye on temps and see how stable it is while gaming and benchmarking. Although bare in mind that your card might not be able to do the overclock, so any stability issues could be temp or overclock related.

As for a waterblack, the Zalman Reserator isn't man enough for a 5970 overclocked and a CPU, but if you build a custom watercooling loop there are a few waterblocks for the 5970.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You can use the overclocked vbios, but I would keep and eye on those temps. You may need to set the fan at 80%+ whilst using 3D apps.
    Otherwise I would use the standard ones (in Post #1) if you are unsure.

I'm glad the new vbios has sorted out your problems.

Its a shame that it seems to be me sorting out ATI problems. (Maybe ATI could pay me for keeping there customers?....I won't hold my breath lol).

Cheers,

Simon.

11. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Not tried the overclocked BIOS yet Simon, but the standard 1.26 one is stable.

Might give it a go but to be honest I've not got a waterblock for it so might as well wait.

12. satanMD

satanMD What's a Dremel?

The Powercolor bios worked great on my HIS 5970. Main problem was windows 7 as like vista it overrides boot media and boots straight to windows, which meant I had to disconnect my harddrives temporarily to install bios.

After flash I reinstalled 10.6 driver and was able to game again with no freezes or crashes. (temps on RealTemp and CCC range from 22-32c ). I might have some low quality chips though as I cant overclock much past the standard 725/1000 or games freeze ( might also go back when I have time and redo the thermal pads on my waterblock)

My only problem is now with PCMARK Vantage as since the re-install of the video driver I cant upload my scores anymore, even though the programs runs the tests with no problem.

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You might have to do a repair on PCMARK.
    If your temps are that low on your 5970 then the overclocked vbios in post #80 (page4) should work for you. But please read the post first.

Cheers,

Simon.

14. satanMD

satanMD What's a Dremel?

I'll give it a go next weekend as i'm due for some freeze free gaming. Will report back when I try the other BIOS.

Thanks again.

15. qwxc

qwxc What's a Dremel?

i give up i went back to the normal v.126 flash, but i still get bsod
    i do somthing wrong but i dont know wat
    the fan speed runs together with the temp
    temp 40 fan speed 40% , temp 50 fan speed 50%...........
    i have only insalled the display driver 10.6 not the ccc
    game freeze end bsod after 10 min gaming
    thanks

16. sainthoodx

sainthoodx What's a Dremel?

For my Radeon 5970, the last thing I want to do is RMA, but it's been looking like I'll have to for about a week. (I bought this whole computer from ibuypower so I don't know the card manufacturer exactly).
    Upon installing any drivers for the card, it flickers/freezes at the windows startup image. If I don't immediately boot into safe mode, it'll force me to system restore. If I boot into safemode, I can disable the first 5970 core (there are two listed in Device Manager), reboot, and windows loads fine as if the drivers were perfectly installed. Though, re-enabling the first core again causes the screen to black out/ computer freeze and then I have to go into safe mode again to disable it.
    I've gone through a lot of the usual trouble shooting methods (changed: power sources, monitors, connection types, pcie slots...), and even tried registry h4x to no avail. The most recent development is that it appears that my GPU overheats after the computer is on for 10 minutes, causing my screen to lose power and red LED lights on my card. Again, that just started happening regularly today, which scares me.
    Does it sound like vbios flashing could solve all of these issues? :wallbash:

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

No problem, hope you have some trouble free gaming now:thumb:

18. sainthoodx

sainthoodx What's a Dremel?

Tried everything... I'm going to RMA.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

sainthoodx

It sounds like your card is faulty. You can try flashing it to see if it works. If it doesn't then you can always flash back to the original vbios to proceed with a RMA.
    To get your original vbios use GPUZ and click on the little chip with a green arrow. Save this to your desktop and put it onto your usb stick. (Make sure to download both vbios from GPUZ. And do this first!!!

Cheers,

Simon.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You need to clear all display drivers including the XMP profiles, as this is what cause the BSOD.
    So in other words you need to delete all of CCC and then use Driver Sweeper to clear any left over.
    Once done, you can reinstall the whole 10.6 CCC (Not just the display driver!!)

Cheers,

Simon.