1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Helianthus - Unplanned Delay via Tractor Trailer-22May

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by voigts, 19 Feb 2012.

1. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Putting Panels Together - 22Feb

Putting Panels Together

I've started putting the panels together. Most of them I am putting together with flathead square drive #6-32 machine screws and nuts. I want to be able to remove the top panel to get into the interior when installing parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm overall very pleased with the way the MB tray and PCI backpanel turned out. I only have one MB hole that I mismeasured a bit that I'm going to have to work with. The PCI panel turned out excellent and is very accurate. I test fitted a MB to make sure it all works. I'll completely attach the PCI panel later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got some more mounting screws to take care of for the front piece, and for the MB tray bottom. Then it's on to the side trim pieces. I have to get them routed, cut, and mounted.

Thanks for stopping by.

Waynio likes this.
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

It's even awesome without the wood! :D

3. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

man!!! custom bended i/o and cardslots? excellent

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Top quality job once again bro!!! I watch as always!! :)

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Man I need a subscribe to certain modders button on here for when they start a new log. :D

I can't believe how far this project is already. :lol: DIY bender is awesome too. :rock:

Subbed with enthusiasm, can you tell?. :hehe::D:clap:

I'll join Alex on this one & auto 5 star rep because you always produce super nice quality. :)

6. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Looking great, Im not personally keen on oak, but obviously thats personal preference, and i know it wont affect the quality of the build.

Multi skills with wood and metal, nice one.

Will be watching as you progress.

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

thanks as always folks. I appreciate the support.

I would have loved to use cherry, mahagony, or walnut as there is a hardwood supplier close to my house, but to get the thickness I need for the front panel and trim, oak was my only viable option. The oak I got is good stuff though as it is very clear and is hard as a rock.

I worked yesterday putting captive nuts into most of the mounting screw holes. They are going to work great.

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Coming together so quickly and all so neat and tidy..Top modding dude.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

looking great already.
    There's always the possibility of playing with veneer inlays.:D Nothing insanely fancy... maybe just some strips around the base or racing stripes.

@Waynio - Right click on forum member name, and scroll down to 'stalk member'.:lol: That would be a cool option, though.

10. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looking really good there voigts!

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Your idea of using inlays has gotten my mind whirring. I'm still hashing out exactly what the designs are going to be on the outside of the case, but obviously as the project name implies, it has something to do with sunflowers.

Thank you.

Captive Nuts

I went back and installed a number of captive nuts into places where I am using machine screws so that I can take panels apart. I was just thinking about using nuts, but captive nuts (thanks Rick-aka Spotswood) are a much better solution. I squashed them into their holes using grip-lock pliers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trim Routing

I started routing the trim pieces. Routing curved pieces like this is something I have never attempted before, and is definitely a learning experience. Routing a straight, flat piece is easy, but routing ones that are curved is a bit challenging. My table saw has a router mount which I used with a 3/8" cove bit to cut these slots. I cut them gradually taking away no more than 1/8" during each pass, and then cut only about 1/64" on the final pass to get a clean edge. Apart from a bit of burning which is very hard to avoid on the curved ends, they are coming out better than I thought they would. I just hope I don't mess anything up with the other cuts I have yet to make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I get the trim pieces routed, I will measure and cut the ends off to length. I have found the hard way that it is best to leave just a little bit extra on the ends while routing as the ends are what tend to get messed up easily. Then I can mount the trim and start working on other things.

Thanks for stopping by.

motorsportcfd and Waynio like this.
  12. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

while other wood may have more intriguing grains... that oak is so solid... damn, i can see how hard it is from your pics... very nice!

love the captive nuts... been playing with it myself... just tried flush nut... loving it too!

looking great!

13. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Very nice trim design, and good clean routing. Good luck with the trim fitting. :thumb:

14. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This oak really is very solid. There is a hardwood supplier just down the road from me that has just about everything you would want, but of course there are some limits as to what thicknesses are available. I'm just glad they are nearby as not many places sell wood like this anymore.

I've never used captive nuts before. I saw them in one of Spotwood's logs and just had to order some from Mcmaster. They are terribly handy. I should have known about them a long time ago as they would have saved me much grief.

Thanks. As I mentioned, I've never done curved trim like this before. It is taking some finess to get smooth cuts on these pieces. I spent a good bit of time messing around with different trim designs to get a look that I like for this build.

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The curved routed trim bits look gorgeous & perfect, nice to see you climbing higher with each project :) very nice work voigts. :clap: rep

I like oak & think I like most woods, what cheaps said about veneer inlays is a beyond nice thought, could be a subtle change of contrast as stripes, love to see you do some. :D

And the right click member & click stalk a modder option made me LOL. :D

16. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

Awesome work, mate! I'm loving the scratchbuilt work! Keep it up!

17. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

More Trim Routing

I finished getting the trim pieces routed, which proved to be no small challenge. I had to be particular about the order that I routed away the wood from the cove cuts. The guide bearing on the rabbet bits needed to cut away the wood must have something to ride on to keep the distance from the area being routed. It took a bit of thought, but I got it done. I almost had a disaster though when the rabbet bit grabbed the wood and split it almost cracking off a section. Thankfully it only cracked the wood and I was able to wood glue it back together. I would not have wanted to recut one of those pieces.

The bit in the back with the hole is extra that will be cut off. When you are routing pieces, you always leave extra and then cut off after routing as the ends tend to get the most easily chewed up a bit. Here's after the first pass:

[​IMG]

Here's after the second pass:

[​IMG]

I'm working now on getting them trimmed down and mounted to the frame.

Thanks for stopping by.

18. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

great work voights! loove wood! i don't know what a captive nut is, however i often use pop-nuts [​IMG] is the captive nuts the same thing?

19. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I love your builds Voigts, Really doing that fine wood justice :)

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sounds painful. :p

Nice woodwork though-- I'll be watching with interest!