1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Helianthus - Unplanned Delay via Tractor Trailer-22May

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by voigts, 19 Feb 2012.

1. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Similar. Here's a pic: [​IMG]

Thanks. Not about the captive nuts part though.

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

A woodwork master you are my friend!!!! More pl0x!! :)

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

AKA clinch nuts, :eyebrow: I do have thoughts on the names of them but I'll keep them to myself. :hehe:

I could never find the right sized drill bit for installing them properly though, hole was either too tight or too loose, but I didn't used to have callipers which really help compared to a ruler, still got a couple of big bags of them with never using them yet, bet I have enough to do a pile of cases, excellent for adding quality threads in thin sheet metal. :D

Your daughter will be over the moon with this voigts, :) as awesome or maybe even more than your personal ones, you have the curve bug now eh. :D:rock:

You thought on great about not showing the full concept, just a tiny close up teaser shot of it, better than not showing a thing & better than showing too much, will make the final shots of it all the more awesome. :thumb:

4. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Really good. Nice done,mate. ;)

5. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

Self Clinching/Captive Nuts are a bit different.
    you can check my thread here

cleaner and lower profile after installation.

6. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Thanks as always Alex.

I really need to purchase a set of numbered drill bits to get the exact bit, but 3/16" is very close to the size recommended and seems to work ok. The captive nuts are proving quite handy, and this is the first time I've ever used them.

As for not giving the entire picture from the start approach, I just hope that it gives a bit of variety to my log so that each log isn't exactly the same thing over and over.

Thank you.

Great info in that thread. I haven't been reading in the modding forum lately as I just usually check the project logs, so I'm glad you chimed in.

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Trim Cutting and Mounting

As most of you modders out there know, some things take about 3 times longer than you think they should. Yesterday was sure an example of this for me. I set out to get the trim cut to size, and to make the pieces that mount to the trim to which the side panels will sit on.

In order to cut the trim since it is curved, I had to use a straight piece in front of the trim on the miter saw to get the angles of the ends correct.

[​IMG]

The side panel mounting pieces are 1/2" x 1/2". In order though to match the shape of the top and front trim, I had to take the actual trim pieces and outline their shape onto wood, then cut and match the curved pieces to the contour of the trim. This took a lot of sanding and fiddling to try to get them as close as possible to match the curves of the trim, and to get them glued on correctly. I ended up recutting one top piece 3 times as I just wasn't pleased with the first two attempts. Each one took a bunch of clamps when gluing on.

[​IMG]

Here are some shots of how the trim fits together. I will glue the front trim to the top trim later. I had to do a bit of wood puttying on the one top trim piece, but I think it will still turn out ok. It was either that or spending hours trying to remake that piece which I wasn't confident would turn out right the second time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the top trim mounted to the top panel, and cut the edge to match the curve of the trim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cut down the MB tray to match the curve of the top panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have next to add some 1/16" spacers to the back edges of the MB panel to get it to line up correctly with the trim and so that it will sit straight, and then I have to set about making the top and front panels.

Thanks for stopping by.

Waynio likes this.
  8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Your alu work was plenty good enough before this one but I'm noticing more & more of a complimenting style to go perfectly with the wood, I'm liking it, little details add up to a really nice rig. :) rep

:hehe: Like the comment about things taking much longer than anticipated, that one gets us all I think. :D

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:worried: He's blasting by like a meteor from my point of view...

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Certainly is with the project itself :D he did say he made a good start on it before starting the log though :D making me feel like a proper slouch. :lol:

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Thanks Wayne. I learned a lot in Quintessence that is really helping with this project when it comes to working with aluminum. Getting a real metal brake also has been an enormous time saver.

This project so far has been moving along much faster than I anticipated, and I am really pleased with the progress I have been able to make. The experience with Quintessence has helped me to better design and make this case easier to build. Things are going to slow down a bit once I get into creating whatever design I decide on (still obviously working on this) for the front panel and/or sides. I have some ideas, but I'm having trouble deciding for sure what I am going to do.

I am motivated also however as there is a possibility that this summer or fall I may have to relocate due to a job situation, and in case I do, I do not want to have an unfinished project hanging over my head. If I have to move, I may not have an area to mod like I do in my large shed now as we might get stuck in an apartment, and without a space for my tools, I would be dead in the water.

12. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looking GOOD there!!

13. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Unplanned Delay via Tractor Trailer

Talk about having a life delay. I'm driving to work on Tuesday morning the 13th on the Interstate (motorway for my British friends here) driving about 55mph (90kph). I'm in the left most lane, and a tractor trailer is 2 lanes over in the right hand land in front of me. It is raining, and within about 3 seconds he looses traction and jackknifes across all 3 lanes right in front of me. It took me about 3 seconds while slamming on the brakes to realize that there was nothing I could do and I was going to hit him. I held onto the wheel with my left hand and ducked my head down as low as I could get it behind the wheel and closed my eyes right before I hit him (afraid of glass) probably doing 45-50mph. His trailer and rear wheels ate the right side of my car, slung me into the concrete divider, and I slid to a stop. Thankfully my side wasn't touched, and I walked away with just a painful case of back and neck whiplash.

It goes without saying that its going to take me a bit more before I am ready to bend over any modding work. I'm really just thankful to God to be in one piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should be back with more modding soon.

Thanks for stopping by.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Was HHR? I lust for one of them.

I'ma put you on my nightly "God Bless" list.:thumb:

Heal now. Mod later. Just sayin.

the john

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Thanks John. Yes, it WAS my nice, uber clean 2007 HHR with custom wheels. I really liked the car, so much so that we are in the process of buying another one. As a matter of fact I just ordered new tires and another identical set of wheels for the next one.

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Props. I had an HHR for several months as a rental in WA in 2010. Loved it.

17. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I like pretty much any and all modding that you've done in the past... This?
    Not so much :(

Hope you recover quickly and fully :)

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Holy sheet, :eeek: cars bashed up, glad you & your family isn't though. :rock:

Hope you have a speedy recovery mate, looked like a close one. :worried:

19. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Wow! I hope you're okay! Don't Mod until you get better! Forumites' orders! Right everyone? :D

I hope your insurance covered this!!!! Also, Did you get the driver's information?

20. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Jesus Christ!

Glad your ok!