1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homeworld License: UPDATE Gearbox HD Remakes Release Date 25 Feb 2015!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

1) Microtransactions for everything! You've just built a shiny new battlecruiser - but where are the weapons? That's right! £1 for every turret you want to add (£2 for turrets that are actually any good)!

2) Have you bought the game but just don't want a challenge? Buy the special upgrade pack that outfits all your ships with 10x the armour they'd usually have!

3) Want to play the singleplayer campaign and have absolutely no interest in multiplayer? Well, you'll still need a constant internet connection that'll kick you out of the game if you are disconnected for any reason!

4) You want a decent ending? Well, just wait a few months so the developer can actually get time to finish the game as they see fit by releasing a huge patch! Warning - may cause more questions than it solves.

5) The game automatically connects to Facebook to update people when you do absolutely ANYTHING!

6) In order to bring the multiplayer up to 2013 standards the slow, relaxing pace has been updated so that the average match lasts 45 seconds or less! Perfect for those 12 year olds with ADHD who communicate by questioning people's sexuality or what their mother did last night.

7) Will feature a half baked love story between the player and Karen S'Jet (and her shiny, shiny head).

On a more serious note, I hope that somehow Relic gets to do it - seems unlikely though.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm racking my brains who could have been in the running. One candidate I could well imagine showing interest would be FishLabs. Would they have the financial clout to be a serious bidder is another question however. The Homeworld universe would compliment their GOF franchise nicely! :D

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

License has gone to Gearbox Software

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Apr 2013
  5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

They'll release a competent port of the originals - be that a straight up copy that works on a modern platform, or a re-textured and improved graphically "HD" release.

Where my concern lies is Homeworld 3. Gearbox don't do RTS games, so they don't have a track record. Of course, they could just produce something amazing (I mean, Borderlands is great), or they could release a turd. We'll find out.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Oh my god! That perfectly fits my thoughts! :D

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'll settle for a straight up HD port. I don't really trust gearbox to do H3 justice in terms of plot or gameplay though.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

they could always pull an ACM and outsource it for a 9 month dev cycle

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In truth it's only Homeworld that needs a dust off. As far as I'm concerned aside from a few small tweaks Homeworld 2 is ready for digital distribution. It's one game that has truly stood the test of time both graphically and acoustically. Not bad for a 10 year old game!

/goes to play Homeworld 2 in HD! :)

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'd even be happy with letting GOG port it to modern systems.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

this was on RPS earlier, I cringed inside.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yes, I read that as well. Very well done, just like a Michael Bay parody set in the Homeworld universe! :D

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I smiled at that RPS post, while simultaneously hugging my boxed copy of Cataclysm and crying my eyes out. I swear to god, Randy Pitchford will not survive if he bollocks this up.

Edit; It's a shame that Rob Cunningham and Aaron Kambeitz can't be hired back, since they're working on their own game. Homeworld could use a bit of a tweak from the original art director and lead artist.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2013
  14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Hell, release a graphically re-done version of Cataclysm and I'm happy as punch.

"Infected ships are approaching!"

"FIRE THE SUN CANNON!"

Happy times....

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's another Sierra published game but I'm not sure if that's part and parcel of the auction being an offshot developed separately from the series. I believe THQ only bought the Homeworld IP including games 1 and 2 from Sierra months back. Cataclysm may have presented more legal obstacles then it was worth to pursue.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Shame, it was the best of the lot.

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

The same ****wits who made the god awful colonial marines...?

:(

Homeworld is the game that got me into PC gaming.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Fix:
    The same ****wits who outsourced, hotfixed the crappy outsourced work and published the god awful colonial marines...?

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Potato.

It was miss handled either way, dissapointed to know the homeworld licence has gone to an inept studio.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Gone very quiet on this front!

What has become of the Homeworld HD remakes?