1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homeworld License: UPDATE Gearbox HD Remakes Release Date 25 Feb 2015!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2013.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Latest news I can find, with a bit of searching, is an interview with Randy Pitchford, Gearbox CEO, where he discusses what's going on with all of the franchises, Homeworld included.

However; He's claiming that the ship models will be Too Detailed for even a 4K screen to truly capture the sheer detail. As much as I wish it'd be true, that's probably exaggeration, it still bodes well that they're busy doing their best to try and make the Homeworld games the best they can be in the modern day. I just hope that they're only slightly touching on UI & Audio throughout the rebuild and leaving Gameplay more or less untouched, else they'll have one hell of a riot on their hands.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Dated 14th Feb as well, so maybe a release is not too far off! Thanks for the link TuNdRa :thumb:

I believe I understand what Pitchford is driving at. Homeworld 2 scaled especially well on modern hardware and was only let down slightly by the textures. With a little clean up it probably would appear very impressive at UHD resolutions and beyond. Either way they better hurry up because my old HW2 installation has taken a dislike to my PC with insta' crashes!

3. .//TuNdRa

God I can't wait to see the original in super high definition. The original is still a fun game, but with modern graphics and sound over that old gameplay?

Berb, getting new underwear.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks for the links impar!

Have a good read of all that tomorrow! :thumb:

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Put me down for the collector's edition of both. I fecking love the Homeworld series - in fact, all three CDs are sitting next to me as I type. As a space RTS the games are unparalleled.

I'm now actually quite excited about this. I've been meaning to replay the campaigns for a while now.

I'm assuming Cataclysm isn't part of the Remastered collection since it was produced by Barking Dog Studies?

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not as far as I know. I'm hoping for a 'this year' release but I'm willing to wait so they get it right.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The one thing I really hope they get right is the feel of damage to the ships once they take a beating. Also decent particle effects from the weaponry deployed pretty please!

11. oscy

oscy Modder

Homeworld 1 was WEIRD. I say this solely because of a mission a few missions before the end, where there's just this giant ball of 100 enemy ships. The only way to win if I recall right is to, first, know that you're supposed to be salvaging as many enemy ships as possible throughout the game to build a massive fleet.

THEN, in this mission, you draw them out one by one, very slowly, and salvage them.

I just found a save game on someone's website and continued my game using that.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Remember that one. I managed to distort the ball of ships off the map space! Kinda screwed up the level after that point! :D

13. .//TuNdRa

I remember that level all too well. I snuck in a pair of Heavy Cruisers with Cloak Fields shadowing, then just blew the hell out of the emitter before they got wiped out. Lost the cruisers, but won the mission, so it counts as a success in my book.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

That mission was great.
    There was also the one about the junkyard, a small ship came and towed our ships away.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

That ball mission was fantastic, with the lure-capture strategy, I built a fleet of 80+ ion frigates. The next mission where you had to blow up an asteroid was a breeze: highlight all ion frigates -> click.

There was also this mission with a ghost ship, where you can't use small crafts, it will take control of your small crafts. IIRC it was early in the game where you just unlocked frigates.

HW2 also had some memorable missions, the missions defending from those stupid movers were REALLY hard.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A gravity well generator was an effective solution to that particular problem. IIRC it took a good minute of all your frigates and capital ships unloading on it to wipe it out!
    Indeed! I think I used to get about 50ish frigates before the giant 'ball' moved downwards off the map. It kept my elite team of 10 salvage corvettes, three cloak generators and two carriers busy!
    The trick was to do hit and run strikes with heavy corvettes from the rear - they could survive the odd missile fired by the missile destroyer. Voila - missile tech and a few free ships!
    IIRC, torpedo frigates were the way forward in that one.

Anyone remember playing the Kadesh missions BEFORE the patch that fixed drone frigates crashing the game? That was tough!

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

18. LeeBoy123

LeeBoy123 What's a Dremel?

Using a probe to entice the ion cannons to a fleet of cloaked salvage vettes was my way of doing it, ahh the memories lol :D

As for the new homeworld remake.... I have to say this is such an exiting year for space games..

19. impar

impar Minimodder

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Nice, but I'd rather see some in-game screens!

I'm hoping that the original versions that are going to be released alongside are going to be downloadable versions. I can't install HW2 on my laptop as it doesn't have a DVD drive and less .... savoury methods don't work either.