1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you earn/should I earn?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by sotu1, 30 Apr 2013.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Don't be afraid to shop around companies even if you like your current one. I recently got a 50% pay rise from my company after I was offered more money from a rival company. Most companies will take even their best staff for granted until the writing is on the wall. Its not in their interest to pay you absolutely top whack after all.

45k in the north west at 27 for the nosey ones but in an extremely niche consultancy role for various oil and gas companies.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

This is a very interesting thread!

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yeah, I didnt expect this kind of discussion! Honestly it's good for us all. Salary is a sensitive issue and usually never brought up but actually it's good to get a real world perspective on how the landscape really is.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Also consider pension schemes. In the NHS we get paid less (sometimes considerably less) than in the private sector, but the pension scheme is (still) good with a company that is not likely to go bust. In the private sector you get paid more but have to make your own arrangements.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Agreed - it's not about the base salary, but the total benefits package. A defined benefit pension can be worth a significant percentage of your base salary (depending on your age, it could be as much as 30% a year) compared to a defined contribution scheme.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This thread is making me apply for new jobs after seven years of slowly and incrementally destroying my soul in a company where I have hit the ceiling of my role, and where opportunities are scarce.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Salary and benefits aren't the be-all and end-all, of course. Having an interesting, enjoyable and stimulating job, working with good people and feeling that the work you do is valuable are all important factors. Work-life balance is also incredibly important, especially once you have a family to consider.

Obviously, it'd be great if you could have all of the above plus a mammoth salary :)

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

That's the goal!

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

If anyone on here has a Physics / Maths / Chemical Engineering degree and is looking for an entry level (i.e. graduate) job near Manchester feel free to send me a message at my forum username at hotmail dot com as we are nearly always recruiting the right graduates. But don't expect to get paid the salary I posted!

10. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Tbf what you should expect and what your potential earnings might be (based on today's values) is dictated by a number of factors:

* Reputation - are you one of the top in your field for your age etc.
    * Sector
    * Sub sector (by that I mean if you were an HR manager you'd get greater packages in some industry sectors than others)
    * Market - are there proportionally more applicants in your field than the market can support so they can pay workers less
    * Ownership - public, private or government

The best way to determine "what you're worth" until you've attained a market reputation in your field (which will command a premium) is to look at vacancies and see what salary ranges apply to your circumstances in the current market climate.

A couple of other points to bare in mind:

* Moving jobs every 2 years is not always a good thing long term, unless that's standard for your particular industry. It can be perceived by prospective employers as both fickle and "step laddering".
    * Stating the obvious, industries are not comparable so top of the field marketing where you're working for someone else will never pay you what, say, a top trader would earn.

Good luck with the job change

Last edited: 3 May 2013
  11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Woah there.... you need to say what level you are Marketing. Remember these figures I made up using waving my finger in the air:

Marketing Assistant ---- 17 to 25k
    Marketing Executive ---- 22 to 30k
    Marketing Manager ---- 26 to 35k
    Marketing Director ---- sky is the ****ing limit

I'm a marketing assistant at where I work and I can tell you I am on the bottom of the bottom. (I have good savings though)

Also... LOL I'm late to this thread

Edit: Real fact is you can pump your salary up incrementally by just changing jobs every year or so. I'm lazy and plus I want to get out into the North Sea as a roustabout. So I'm not motivated.

12. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

See:

http://www.hospitaldr.co.uk/features/hospital-doctors-pay-scales-for-20092010

for scales. £31-£47 baseline for a registrar, this has weighting added based on hours worked (I think the max is an additional 30% now, was 50%). Psychology is a 9-5 post so may not have any weighting ...

My other half is a medic - was earning £50k+ at 27. Her tax form for the past year (she was 30) was £77k. She's currently a reg, another 2-3 years to consultant. Most medics do a fair bit of overtime (locums) - her income is not unusal amongst her peers.

I'm in IT - have been on £50-65k since my mid twenties (hit £50k at 26-27, 12 years ago). Would be on well over 100 if I wasn't so lazy.

13. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Oh, and being more practical, consider a sideways move - internal marketing doing things like managing internal-facing social web sites/communities etc. This is a big growth area. Look up and learn about products like Jive, Lithium etc ... you can trial most of these things on line.

My employer will easily recruit someone your age+experience in the £35-45k range (new grads start on low 30s in client-facing roles).

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

My salary and employment package is probably below the average for the field in which I work, but I kind of knew that would be the case when I took the job, but it's for a small company that over the next year is planning to grow, and the idea is I grow with them. I have been here nearly 2 years now, and last year I got a 9% payrise, which is not to be sniffed at but my gross salary is still not as good as I would like it to be. My workload and responsibilities since I have been here have grown exponentially where as my salary has not, I don't have a salary review until December of this year, but I am going to seriously think about moving onto to pastures new if I do not get closer to the figure in my head this time around - which wasn't the case last time.

My main complaint is lack of training and development and sometimes little support to help me do my role - we have just taken on a sales bloke, and my boss is busy selling, so soon I can only see my workload increasing more as we take on more clients. As currently, my role feels a bit like, 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support, strategy planning, installations etc. etc. etc. And there is only so much margon to go around!

I don't know the point of my post really - but recently I have been thinking really hard about my job and the pro's and con's. There are so many pro's, so so many. But the lack of training and development and lack of support, partnered with what I consider to be a quite a low salary for the work I am doing and the responsibility I have, is really starting to do my head in a bit.

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

My advice is, communicate all of this very clearly with your superiors. If you can do that, with justifications for your assertions about your work load and where you think you as an employee should be going to benefit the company and not just you, then it should (depending on how much of a douche your manager is), get heard. Good employers realise that supporting their employees is very worthwhile. Don't threaten to leave and find a tactful way to talk about the money. Assuming you describe everything rationally, with perspective, then your superiors should realise the situation needs to be improved.

The amount of times I have met people complaining about a similar situation but in reality have never actually mentioned how they feel, then move on and end up somewhere worse, well, if I had a penny etc....

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that setting out aspirations clearly is very important. Seriously, Q-F-T.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The hours a reg does and the exams and hoops you have to jump through to become a Consultant are fierce, so she kind of earned it.

Psychology posts are 9-5 in name only. I regularly do more like 9-7. I'm lucky in that over the last few years some of those hours are now officially contracted in a specified service level agreement so I actually get paid for some of those (but not nearly all). I'm currently at top of spine point 8b --£55k. It is acknowledged that I should really be at 8c and the promise keeps being made but regrading is, well, a sensitive issue in the current economic climate.

On the other hand, pension scheme, sick pay and life insurance (Death In Service) is decent and I feel that I have a reasonable responsibility/pay balance. I could earn a lot more in the private sector but I still strongly believe in the NHS as an institution. :)

17. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Really interesting thread with lots of great information and insight. Thought that I would put my thoughts down also, which I know is risky sometimes!

A few bullet points that have helped me, there is little or no science behind this.

"Why leave it for tomorrow when you could do it today" - this for me has lots of meanings, from daily work tasks all the way to great goals such as self study and taking exam/interviews. - Removing the very little procrastination I had in my life 5 years ago has paid for itself 100 times since I took the attitude of "just do it"

Never stop learning - another area I live by, I now only have short breaks between my self study, normally around 2 weeks, or when a new FPS comes out. This self learning is both personal interest, such as the things this forum is aimed at, as well as professional training (ill talk about that in a moment) but for me keeping my brain active keeps me sharp at work, often adding value to projects, events and becoming more innovative with the things I and my team do.

I touched on professional training, outside of the normal - keeping up to speed with you profession, I have found undertaking professional qualifications from other professions has also helped. I have several recognised and official certification from other professional sectors. Then when the opportunity arises I will offer this skill up and this gets me great feedback from the employer due to the huge added value - giving them something they needed or wanted but would have not normally looked as my role to do it. This can be a double edged sword of course, so be careful that there is benefit to you doing this.

Confidence vs. arrogance - learn how to walk this line, honestly one of the best skills you can have as you progress you're career - I guess this is learnt through exp' rather than a book. Still be aware of it and think about your actions and approach all the time.

Mentors - network and find a mentor outside of your organisation, and old contact, friend - someone that is older, wiser and better than you - learn from then, talk alot, keep in contact. Discuss approaches and boundaries (such as the one above) and listen to their advise. Finding one? If they ask why, or what's in it for them, you don't want them to be your mentor. The person that understands the direct and indirect benefits to them will almost always just reply with "YES!"

Battery is at 10% so that's all from me now, but very enjoyable thread, some great people on BT...

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I earn ~£13000 per annum.....do I get a cookie? :D I do love my job though but it means I don't get to buy anything shiny :(

19. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I earn ~£26 a year, at the moment. £25 for entering a survey, and £1 for a dare.

20. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Thought I would chip in for some advice

started working in IT 1 about 1.5 years ago part time as a junior technician, I have now come up to rank of IT Consultant, and basically know all the it systems for every client i support, and most of the staff on first name basis

I am also studying a uni degree in IT (getting 1st for this year :D )

I'm 20 currently

Current wage is minimum wage. What would you expect me to be on, I'm in cambs and do not yet drive (Learning but can't afford a car on my wage :( )