1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How much have you spent on your PC?

Discussion in 'General' started by maple, 10 Mar 2013.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I've lost track since I technically built this rig back in 2010. I've done a LOT since then.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Close on 4k on the one in Sig and I have 4 other PC's

YEHBABY likes this.
  3. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

No idea. I still have receipts somewhere but for sanity's sake I'm not going to take a look at them.

4. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

£1k give or take £100

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

With the SSD upgrades additional keyboard purchase and a few other things 2 grand or so.

6. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

not that much to be honest

I sold my old rig bits for just over £100..
    A mate give me £300 towards it after coming into some money
    Had the case 3 years and my powder coat was free (again from a mate who is a manager in a powder coating company)
    My GF got me the 670 GTX
    PSU was a RMA replacement that arrived the week I started my build

7. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

all you have to do is work out how to use it now :D

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Probably about £1500, but at different times. I tend to buy my monitors and GPUs second hand, but the core of my rig will almost certainly do me for another few years, I'm quite restrained when it comes to spending out of necessity.

9. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Far too much and I only built my rig in September (my first build). But the fun of getting a box of hardware in the post, totally worth it!

10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Ignoring money recouped from selling my old kit, I think I've got to be getting close to the 15k (CAD) spent on computer gear since the p4 2.4b, which was the first box I ever bought completely with my own cash. I am actually afraid to go back through and count it all up, lest it turn out to be closer to 30k :worried:

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The one I'm posting from at the moment (my most powerful workstation) came in at around £2500, but it's still not finished yet. Is it ever? No - there's a new case, graphics card and SSD sitting in the workshop waiting to be used in a rebuild, not to mention some new LC gear, which all amounts to another £1000 or so. It's ever changing, but it's having so many machines that makes it expensive for me. My other 3 - another workstation (beefy office PC), a SFF media centre (energy efficient Mini ITX i3) and a (very beefy) file server all amount to roughly £2000 (almost 3 years ago), £500 (within the past year) and an undisclosed amount (over the course of the past 2 years) respectively. There are also another three courtesy desktop machines which I loan to people when their own is in for repair or maintenance, all simple S775 office machines, a pair based on C2Ds and one with a C2Q.

Expensive hobby occupation addiction err... thing this PC lark :rolleyes:

TL;DR - Far too much.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2013
  12. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Why did you have to start this thread?

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Pretty sure it's well above 2000€ (maybe even a double of that), but as other said, too affraid to sum it up. Without displays, that is. 2x ZR2740w was another 1200€ :).

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Same. It's best to just say "$1000" because it's a nice round number and not count the SSD, new video card, peripherals, monitors...

15. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Well I started out spending £900 two years ago. A new monitor, and a change of case, plus allowance for headphones, brings me to a nice, round £1250 ish. Which, over 2 years, I don't think is too bad. However it is changing soon, since I've got this fancy new job and an upgrade is due.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Do you mean ever? Or just on a current rig. As with most folk, I've been casually throwing money at PCs for years. I dread to think how much in the end. Lots (and lots). My passively cooled HTPC case was £300 alone...

Just realised that this is quite a fitting 500th post!

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Half as much as the hifi that it's plugged in to, 17x as much as the desk it's sitting on, 4x as much as I got flogging the old one and a fair bit less than it should have cost (RRP wise).

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Fixed my own post :rolleyes: Depressing as that is though, I'd probably have no career if I hadn't spent at least 3/4 of that total on my own hardware. Still, when you add up all the money you've spent on hardware in the past few years it comes as a bit of a shock :eeek:

I feel genuinely sorry for the wallets and bank accounts of you mech keyboard and high end audio enthusiasts. Not half as sorry as you might feel for me when I'm pouring my disposable income into expensive oily bits for a project car, but still :jawdrop:

19. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

$2600 for the MB, Proc, PS, 3 video cards, 6GB ram 2 80G HDD, Monitor and 3 D setup. then add 12 more GB ram, 256 GB SSD, Logitech wave keyboard & Mouse then a razer Naga mouse, and Logitech X530 speakers, I would guess at least another $400 on that stuff at least so $3k altogether not counting a few 1 TB HDD

20. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

close to £2.5K, and somewhere around £3.5K for all my audio gear.