1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling How quiet is your water pump?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 20 Apr 2012.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ditto, except mines on some black foam usually used in camera cases and such. Really dense but absorbs all the vibes.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/EK-DDC-X-TOP-Rev2-Acetal_677.html

This top or the clear version eh?

But the top doesn't reduce the noise does it?

Other than allowing G1/14 fittings, I use 12mm ID so I could just use the barb version of the D5.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Aha, thank you.

I read some test results for the D5 showing that above 13.1 volts there is no increase in pump speed. The control circuit cuts back the power so running the pump at 24v is pointless. I don't know if that applies to all the D5's.

5. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

I know this might sound stupid, but what does an actual pump "top" do? Like the one Mankz linked to?
    I have two D5's with converters to any G1/4 fittings, what would buying theses tops mean? better performance?

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

On the DDC, it allows you to plumb your tube straight into the top, making it easier to set up the loop. It also means the water has an unimpeded flow into the impeller, improving performance.

Im not so sure on the D5 as its center fed straight in anyway, it might have a more hydrodynamic exit - anyway basically, they are used to improve head/flow rate.

It also just generally makes the pump look nicer.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Many years ago I used the Eheim 1046 and later a more powerful version. The EK DCP is similar design with ceramic shaft. These pumps don't get hot because they're cooled by the liquid. I gather the D5 motor gets hot does it?

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think Skinnee labs did some tests with different tops.

I'll try to find the link.

[edit] Clicky

Last edited: 21 Apr 2012
  9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Problem is, those tests were from 2009 :)

Detroit thermo?

10. David

What difference does that make? It still benches the stock top against the EK Rev.2. :rolleyes:

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well that's ok then!!!!!!

:)

12. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

no it most definitely does not :) warm, yes perhaps, hot no way

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Warm is perfectly acceptable. I may get me one soon (soon for me means within 2 days).

Is anyone running their D5 above 12v?

It's quite misleading if these pumps reach max speed at 13.1v as one test suggested given the max 24v.

14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The Koolance 450S (Strong) is designed to run at up to 24V and the tests here suggest the basic version is voltage limited over 12V.

The D5s do produce heat but it's transferred into the water whereas the DDC heat up the pump base/electronics. After saying that having a couple of D5s at full speed only increased the water temps by 1-2ºC on one of my systems.

15. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

16. David

The Vario D5s are great for bleeding the system. Run them low for a while, then whack it up to 5 - does a great job of dislodging air pockets.

17. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I have 4 d5s running at max speed (12V).

I find them really quiet. i think if i turned off all the fans in my pc etc, they would still be very good, but fan noise in my system easily covers pump noise.

1 had a little vibration, but its fine now i sorted it.

I have the ek white tops fitted to them, which are quite nice, but this never made them quieter, but look nice and allow me to fit them more compact into the case.

I notice i still have some of the older versions, as the newer d5 now have a soft start once turned on, whilst my older ones, come straight on at full pelt.

Im tempted to get the Koolance 24v module, to see what happens at 24v, but i heard that its best suited if you use the d5s pumps, but it really doesent look as there is gonna be much of an improvement.

I do think its strange that people run them lower than the setting 5, when they are quiet on this.
    Perhaps the people who ran them on less than 5 are now the ones that want to run them at 24V:D

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Koolance STRONG version has very high head pressure.

In a very restrictive system it would have an advantage I guess. I currently have 3 waterblocks... Swiftech Apogee XT v2, EK 680 and a hard disk waterblock which is probably the most restrictive of the 3 blocks. The thing is my loop extends outside the PC case where the rad, pumps and res sit by open window. In other words the loop is long. The tubing from case to window is about a metre. My rad is a very low restriction PA 120.3. Less than half the pressure drop of a normal rad. My existing pump has a head of about 4 but an LPH of 800.

What do we think of the spec of the EK D5?

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/pumps-and-accessories/pumps/laing-d5-strong-8-24v.html

On paper it looks great but only if run at 24v.

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/pump-laing-d5-vario-motor-only-alphacool.html

Pressure head is 3.7 at 12v

I would need to run this pump at 24v (I don't have a problem with that).

The Koolance 450S on the other hand is good on head pressure at 12v although the LPH isn't much better than what I have now.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...-450S-High-Flow-Pump--PMP-450S-pid-13376.html

Last edited: 22 Apr 2012
  19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You'll see a very very low difference in performance between a DDC and a D5, with just an aftermarket top..

If you're worried about the length of the loop, you can bung the EK 4.0 over by the radiator to boost pressure over on that side of the system.

They both work fine and i've been using my DDC for the best part of 7 years.

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

EK is right next to rad and sitting beneath 500mm heatsink reservoir tube. The reservoir feeds down into the pump just below it.

:)

I guess a D5 would be a luxury expenditure. Something that's not needed really since I don't have any OC issues.

Still thinking about replacing 360 rad with the Phobya triple 360 design though since I could sell my thermochill to offset the cost.