1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling How quiet is your water pump?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 20 Apr 2012.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You'd be crazy to replace the PA120.3 for any other rad. It's still one of the better performers and the only 'negatives' are the 3/8" ports which still have adapters available and the 25mm fan spacing which makes it harder to mount in a case.

The only reason I switched from a Phobya 400 to a D5 was for the reduced noise levels, nothing else.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yup, a good rad but I figured the triple 360 might be even better. Thing is I dunt actually need it. Nor do I need a new pump cos the EK 4.0 is pretty quiet. Quiet but not silent. Can hear a low rumble/grind but not loud. Tempted to go D5 to blast the coolant around what is a long loop but it's not a necessity. I think my full load CPU temp could be lower and I suspect the long loop is responsible but I like having rad by open window.

3. Big Elf

In that case I'd also think about a Swiftech 35X which has the advantage of PWM control of pump speed. The majority of the time when your system is under low loads you can run it a slow speeds and use PWM to crank it up to full speed under high loads. The 35X is definitely quieter than an EK 4.0, a bit louder (at full speed) than a D5 or 355 but extremely quiet at slow speeds. However if to you an EK 4.0 is quiet then you probably won't hear a D5, 35X or 355.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My D5 is on full, and using one of these it is utterly silent.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You'll see a bigger improvement with a better pump than with a bigger rad.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I just tested out a Swiftech MCP355. At full load its very quiet. A slight whine if you come within about 2 feet of it. I placed some sound dampening material I had spare on the top of the DVD drive that sits below it, and now its utterly silent. The only way I can tell its on by looking at the water in my res.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

But there is no point in me buying a pump with similar or lower head pressure. At least the D5 strong is significantly higher spec. The noise I have from my DCP 4 is very low level. I sit 2 metres from it and it's very quiet at full speed so the noise is no reason for me to change.

The pump that most interests me is the EK strong D5 at 24v with 1800lph or the koolance strong with 5.9 head.

8. Parge

Not saying you should buy it! Just replying to the title of the thread: How quiet is your pump?

9. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

I have the DCP 4.0 as well. I returned my first one because I had the same grinding noise that wasn't air bubbles; my replacement was dead quiet.

I run mine at 9v anyway for total quiet. Vibration levels drop incredibly from 12v to 9v.

PS the EK DCP is a rebranded Jingway series pump. They sell this model rebranded by 3 or 4 other companies.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Aha. You see I forgot the title of my own thread and thus the truth emerges that this is really a selfish thread to find out which is the most powerful and quietest pump...

It's the same grinding you get with the Eheim's as well. It uses the same design doesn't it.

I've never tried mine at 9v. Guess I could wire it to a variable voltage PSU for testing.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Update:

So last week I was twice at checkout of EK shop with D5 strong in basket. Both times I came close to buying and both times cancelled. If that pump had a tacho sense line I might have bought. I thought I'd save some money so I bought a second EK DCP 4.0. Plumbed it in and the noise was horrendous! Loadsa tiny bubbles circulating. After running some hours, it began to quieten down, a day later it was even quieter and now both pumps are very quiet.

Cooling performance increased significantly. CPU is cooler at idle and load. Almost 10c off at full load.

Advantage is dual pumps for safety redundant feature and the pumps have tacho line so can monitor pump speed.

12. Big Elf

I wish you'd have mentioned that you were going to get another EK Pump. I have one doing nothing.

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Is it the DCP 4?

14. Big Elf

Yep, think of the redundancy with 3 pumps!

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

:)

Extreme pumpness..

I've long had a fantasy about connecting waterblock to domestic cold tap and blasting the cpu with high pressure cold water. Probably easier just to buy an aquarium chiller. Feels like cheating somehow though.

16. Big Elf

I've got a GT Stealth rad that now looks like a balloon after I put mains water through it in a simple loop. Doesn't leak though and performance is apparently unaffected.

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL. Balloon rad.

18. Parge

I ran some cold tap water through a rad - you should have felt the temps! *shiver*

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Many years ago I had my DD Maze 3-1 waterblock with a 130w peltier sandwiched between it. Connected to cold tap and powered at 15v the waterblock got a thick layer of ice on it within minutes.