1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to join our folding team

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 23 Apr 2009.

1. patchcable

patchcable Preparing to commence simulation

I’m considering proposing this to my workplace but I feel they will be a little cautious due to bandwidth constraints. I wonder if there is some promotional material available that could persuade them.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Bandwidth use is minimal. It'll be the heat & fan noise that annoys people

3. patchcable

And i guess its going to age the CPU's if they run at full load. We have about 50 odd machines in one room can you imagine how much hotter it is likely to get in there!

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Does it really age the CPU's though? Any long term folders got any input on this? I really don't wanna kill my hardware :waah:

5. patchcable

Its the heat that shortens the lifespan nothing else i suspect, if the temps don't increase much from the normal use then i doubt it will make much difference. My processor is overclocked as much as i can push her and running 100% load but iv managed the heat well. I doubt i could say the same for the machines at work, i think they would fry!

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Dang, I'm still folding for the old BiT team. I feel cheated by the move :( can't you merge stats from the old team, or redirect WUs done for it to the new one, or something? Because the old team still exists. If we're serious about the change it should either be a redirect or be deleted altogether.

7. Odinn

Odinn What's a Dremel?

Just saying hello

Hi guys, Just joined the folding team. only using my ps3 at the moment but hoping to build a folding rig from old components!

8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Welcome aboard mate :thumb: what components you got to put towards good use then? :D

9. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Once points have been awarded at Stanford then they are fixed to both the username and teamname. They cannot be transferred, even for global name changes. Stanford Policy. :( :sigh:

10. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Just dl the cpu client after being a subscriber for few years, try and do some good with the spare cpu clocks!

Btw thanks for the guide to get started, very easy to follow!

Cheers

Ned

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Welcome aboard matey

12. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

Ditto welcome fellow Dinosaur (Avatar) :lol:

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Right, I can't seem to figure out how to get Folding Running properly on my computer as CPU usage seems to be zero. Do I need a client for each core or does the application take advantage of each core?

Will add another Q6600 @ 2.6Ghz, an Athlon 64 @ 2.8Ghz, and 4 Intel Xeon Quad (that is four lots of quads) @ 3.2Ghz and I suppose my graphics cards.

14. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Not sure which client you've downloaded but the best output for CPU folding right now is running a Linux SMP client from within a virtual machine (assuming your existing host operating system is Windows).

The simplest way to do this is by using notfred's SMP utility. Instructions here.

Download the GPU console client for your graphics card, always ensuring that it is set to a higher priority than any CPU client using prifinitty 2. Guide here.

Any problems, then it's probably best to start a separate thread. Mods huh, always breaking forum protocol :D

You should get some serious points from the listed kit :thumb:

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Bah, I just installed 4 consoles on this computer and got it running. Will try this method though. Can you run F@H without displaying the console?

16. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

The notfred approach will net several times the output of the standard uni-processor client. You'll be looking at 4-5K+ for a Q6600. You will need two instances of The VMware client per quad because each only uses 2 CPU cores. Not aware of any way to run these as a service rather than a console.

You can with the standard GPU and uni-proc clients though. Download the systray rather than the console versions.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

just joined the good fight, only a opty 165 clocked at 2GHz for now , but it works dam it.

18. jaxson50

jaxson50 GPU Folding@home Team member

I joined a few weeks ago. I use the GPU client it seems to work well. My PC never shuts off though but its a good cause. I read the folding article and wanted to do my part.

Last time I checked I was 103,XXX slowly rising in the standings. Will get stats into sig someday. I help cause I figure one day I'll probably need it myself!:naughty:

19. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Welcome and thanks for joining us!

20. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I have added my new Phenom 955 to the cause!

Tags: