1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Good choice taking the sportster....the Chesil speedster might look nice, but its beetle underpinnings generally means it'll probably be crap to drive :(

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I put the idea to Mrs GOO yesterday. She's not against it. In fact, her exact words where "Yes, it's a good idea. It'll keep you out of trouble"

I wasn't entirely sure how to take that... ;)

So - as she hasn't said no, I'm going to start hunting for a mechanically sound E30. At least that won't cost too much, and I can start doing the refurb on the oily bits in my garage over the winter. I suppose I'd better get my self that repair manual of Amazon. Makes sense to know where all the thingamybobs go! :D

3. GreatOldOne

Well, I've made a start. Of sorts. I've bought myself the Kit Car Manual, An E30 Haynes Manual and have started costing stuff up. I've also started on some practical stuff...

Yep, Stage 1 of many to come is underway. Exciting? No. I've hired a skip to clear out the garage... ;)

Stage 2 will entail painting the garage (White walls, Red floor), and installing a double flouro tube light (better than the single 60w bulb currently up there) and a shed load of RCD protected power sockets.

Stage 3 will be building a bench, and getting some decent tools. Then the fun begins! :D

Last edited: 20 Sep 2005
  4. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Thats sounds sweet! I have a probe to work on for the winter over here. Keep us updated as yours is soo much more interesting then my probe lol. Sounds like the MRS. Is VERY nice over there. :rock: :clap:

5. GreatOldOne

Stage 1 is now complete. You really don't know how much crap accumulates in your garage until you start to tidy it up... :eyebrow: :)

Anyhoo - Shelves are up, a workbench has been constructed and a dual 6 ft fluro strip has been fitted. I've also managed to blag a copy of the Bently E30 manual from the states, thanks to eveyone's favourite online car-boot sale. ;)

Next step - paint, and more power outlets than you could shake a stick at.

6. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

lmao yoda have you been drinking again, flat cap and pipe more like full face helmet and balls of steel.

well done with your choice and good luck finding your donner kebab car, get a good one and make life as easy as possible for yourself. :thumb:

Last edited: 27 Sep 2005
  7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Would that be with or without chilli sauce :hehe:

8. GreatOldOne

Another Saturday, Another Trip to B&Q. :D

Got the garage floor paint, and 5ltrs of bog std white emulsion, thinking it'd be enough to do the walls and ceiling - it says it'll cover 60 sq mtrs on the tin. Unfortunatly, light weight blockwork is only slightly less absorbent than a sponge, to I only managed to get about two thirds done before running out.

However, the difference it's made is amazing already - not only do they absorb paint, but unpainted blocks do a good impression of black holes as well, sucking light away into oblivion. But the painted portion of the garage just throws the light right back at you with avengence. It's like the Wonkavision set from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in there. :cooldude:

Guess it's B&Q tommorow as well. Good job white emulsion is cheap! ;)

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

dont forget to do pics and a log ;)

10. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Remember to pipe some all important moozic into the garage aswell!

11. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Ahh I have to put some american muscle into this conversation. http://www.factoryfive.com/

Go with a 1965 Shelby cobra replica, same small two seater car with a 428 cubic inch motor! (over 7 liters for you guys on the wrong side of the pond)

[​IMG]

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

GOO's already chosen the Sportster! :) As nice a car as that is (somebody has one round here)

I'm not even going to say anything! :hehe:

13. GreatOldOne

Cobra's, whilst nice, are a bit of a common kit car in the UK - plus for my first attempt at building a car, I'm going to keep it relatively simple and 'cheap'.

The only other issue with a Cobra is you need a decent engine - there's nothing sadder than lifting the hood on a gorgeous looking replica and seeing a horrid old Ford V6 in it - and unfortunatly, big block V8s that Carroll Shelby wouldn't be ashamed off aren't cheap! ;)

14. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

Too late for me to try to convince you that ACVWs are great with my fanboyism?

15. GreatOldOne

Had the day off work yesterday, and finsihed the walls, and have made a start on the floor. Boy is that ****** work - The whole floor needed to be swept, wire brushed (to get rid of any loose stuff), swept again and finally hoovered to get rid of all the dust. Concrete dust != good, let me tell you... :worried:

The concrete sealent went on pretty easily, and I managed to get that done in a couple of hours. After letting it dry, I started on the red floor paint. It smells evil, has the consistancy of treacle, and takes forever to do just a little bit - just doing a couple of square feet takes a good 10 mins, as you need to work it into all the lumps and bumps on the floor. I've managed to get about 2/3rds of the floor done, but then my back, arms and hands started to tell me to put down the brush and step away from the paint can. ;)

I'll get the rest bashed out at the weekend, but I won't be able to put everything back into the garage for a couple of days. Whilst this stuff is touch dry in 6hrs, it takes 48 hours before you can walk on it, and 5 days before you could put something as heavy as a car on it.

I'll try taking some pics at the weekend as well.

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

When me and my dad were sorting out the garage like this to use to build my car, we had to use concrete sealant on the floor. Stupidly, we didn't use respirators, thinking that having the garage double doors and side doors open with a breeze would be enough. Bad idea.

anyways, be sure to post pics when you start, I'll be interested in this one.

17. chunkylover

chunkylover What's a Dremel?

sportster without a doubt looks damn sexy aswell

18. GreatOldOne

Yay! I've just ordered my first lot of tools! :D

I've managed to find a decent online tool place that does Draper gear at discount prices. Good job too, as I don't have any car tools at all (If you discount my father-in-laws old imperial socket set and spanners - Which I'm going to have to, as a Beemer and the Sportster are all metric).

This is the set I've ordered, and it's normal retail price is apparently £600. How much did I pay? £280 - delivered. Bargin! :thumb:

19. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Looks like a good start. I was going to suggest getting a halfords socket set, almost all you would ever need, good quality and only £100 at the mo! (ive got 2 :D )

20. dom_

dom_ --->

christ that thing has everything in it!