1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity Giveaway #1: FEEDBACK THREAD

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by aquatuning, 14 May 2010.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Do you like them? Yes, they're pretty nice products overall. The green is fantastic.

Would you buy them? Yes.

What would you change? Some screws included with the fan would be nice. Although most folks have a big tub of screws and stuff, a first-time builder wouldn't have.

Do you like the quality? The sleeving on the cables is excellent, especially on the fan extender.

Picture coming later. :thumb:

2. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Hi

I just got my kit this morning and its lovely! its a red kit like the one above.

Things i like:
    I love the sleeving. its well done and made of a good material.

The 3 pin fan extender has a open plug so that you can plug in a 4 pin fan without having to mod it

The fan looks great and its not too noisy at 12v. I also like the way that you can remove the blades for cleaning!

Things I would change:
    how about some of those rubber mounting posts with the fan or some small m3 bolts? it can be such a pain when you get a new part then you are unable to fit it and these bits would only cost pence.

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Hi

Bits just arrived - all very nice - I went for white.

Extension cables look good, although it would have been nicer to have white braid with white heat sink rather than black. I have a Phyobya 1 into 4 fan splitted in black, which is also very good - and I would definately buy Phobya cabling kit again.

The fan looks good, and the braiding on the fan looks of a better quality to the other cables. It seems fairly quiet at 12v, and seems to move a nice amount of air. I have noticed a very small amount of clicking when it is used in a vertical mount, but this goes away when mounted horizontally - I am very noise sensitive though, so most people wouldnt even notice this. As stated before, some screws or other mounts would have been good.

Trying to work where to mount it in my case now, or to save it for my next build...

4. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Well I received mine this morning, fitted and tested the fan before leaving for work. The sleeving looks sweet although as M7ck has said it isn't perfect but I think it may show up less on the green than on the red. I'll try and get a couple of pics up this evening.

The appearance of the fan is great, the 4 LEDs in combination with the translucent blades make it really stand out. Possibly a little too bright for my tastes but in operation it's definitely eyecatching. I didn't notice a massive increase in noise levels after installing the fan but it was literally just a "does it work?" test run.

It might be an idea to add an airflow indicator to the fan, just an arrow on the moulding. It might be because I hadn't had any coffee when I fitted it but I did get it back to front initially :duh:

5. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Just been messing about with the fan. The ticking noise seems to have gone by removing the blades and re-attaching them :thumb:

6. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Decided to keep the fan in this build :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

My red Kit just came in the post :D

The quality of product is great, I love the shade of red on the braiding for the extensions.
    I think the white braiding on the red fan clashes with most colour schemes (black or red braiding may have suited better).

The fans pump a fair amount of air at 1500 RPM, although on paper the Xigmatek blackline fans do a better job at lower dBA. I will do an actual comparison when i get a chance tomorrow hopefully.
    As mentioned previously by other people some means of mounting the fan would be helpful (screws/ silicone mounts). A 3pin to molex connector may also be helpful to some people with older systems.

Overall im very pleased with the product and would be happy to buy it.

8. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

hooorah its arrived!

ive only unpacked and examined my prize thus far tonight ill install and review properly.

i recieved:
    red led fan
    blue 8 pin extention
    blue 3 pin fan extention

the fan is very pretty and although the lights on the front of my case are blue i plan to install the fan in the front and light up my nzxt gamma a bit more and actaully have some cooling on my hard drive, if the lights arent so bright then ill swap it out for a fan on my corsair h50 in push pull configuration with the stock corsair fan and light up the inside a bit

the fan extention cable ill use to connect a roof fan to the motherboard.

im not familiar with the 8 pin cable not sure if its for the atx 8 pin motherboard power or for 8 pin graphics cards. my 4890 isnt 8 pin so its that is the case then i wont be able to properly install it.

9. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

Well I was hoping I'd be the first person to post pictures of them in use - but alas I was wrong :D I think I'm the first person to be using the cables though :D

Little package arrived this morning with an 'I <3 Aquatuning' sticker on it. Opened it up and this is what I found inside:
    [​IMG]

First impressions:
    Packaging was simple & professional looking, and none of those wretched blister packs.

Now forgive me if I'm being a noob - but do all fans spin the same way? I couldn't find any indication of the direction of airflow on the packaging or fan anywhere. The white sleeve on the fan was a nice touch - making it tidier inside than my lian-li fan I was replacing. I mounted the Phobya fan in the same direction as my old fan and I had got it right. The fan looked good - even before I had mounted it.

I thought the quality of the cables was great - the sleeving was no tighter or looser than the sleeving on my Corsair HX 750, I guess just because of the light colour is why the wires may show through a little - but you hardly notice it in the pictures.

One perhaps slightly annoying thing was that I don't have a particularly wide gap between the motherboard tray and the side panel, the connector for the 8-pin PSU cable was pretty chunky and it made getting the side panel back on a little tricky (had to make sure it was totally flat).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (damn those tracer ram modules are so bright!!)

When I switched it on - my UV light made the sleeving glow a pretty blue colour - the white fan cable and the blue UV cables actually look very similar in the light - you can hardly tell the difference in the photos.

The fan seemed to run nice and quiet through the full range of operation (using my fan controller) and the lights glowed nicely inside.

I would definitely consider buying further cables - specifically 2x 6 pin PCI-E for my graphics card. Do you know if the 2-pin part of the cable can be detached? It looks like both parts are sleeved seperately - and I only need 2 6-Pin connections.

As for the competition - people will always be disappointed if they don't win. I was fortunately one of the lucky ones. I think 100 posts is a bit too much for the next competition - if you do that you are limiting it entirely to bit-tech forum members who are regularly posting. I saw the competition being advertised on facebook, and it was only as a result of that that I came here, made my 20 non-spam posts and was lucky to win. Especially for members of your facebook group it would be unlikely that they would all be members here. 20 posts - well it was enough to bring me here, and hey - who knows, I might stick around.

Finally - I'd just like to say a big thanks to Aquatuning for supplying me with some free stuff and for holding this giveaway. They didn't have to do it, and for the 50 or so that won - I'm sure they're very thankful.

(P.S. if you have any aquatuning case badges - you should have included those with the giveaway for some free advertising ;) )

See you at i40 :)

10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Got my kit this morning

Got a red fan, with 2 blue extension leads for various things,

Thanks again aquatuning, my case temp was around 75 degrees earlier, but with a bit of tweaking (removing the side panel and chucking in another intake fan) i got things down to a reasonable 50 degrees.

Ta!

p.s. if you have any old **** lying about, you have my address,

Signed,

One satisfied insanity give away winner.

p.p.s

I modded the leds on the fan, as they had a crazy junction temp which meant they will die shortly, i had some spare cree leds lying about do i butchered them into the existing circuit. lovely, and overrated now :D cheers.

11. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

yes as kingred said, once again many thanks AquaTuning!

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Got mine today also, full red set. Tested the fan, and I though it was a lovely glow, not overly bright or garish. Pushes a bit more air than my Noctuas and is almost as quiet, just a very mild hum, which is almost soothing :p As others have said, some way of attaching it would be nice for newbies.

The braiding on the extenders is lovely, although I haven't delt with much braiding. I'm not going to install any time soon as I'm planning on doing a bit modding mash over the summer, so they'll come into play then :)

Thank you for it though :)

13. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

got mine in the post today. Red kit :).

The fan is good (not removable blades like ive seen some say but i can do that in a few mins anyway by removing the sticker) pushes quite a lot of air. The white braiding i good quality however i'd prefer black or red (obv if i was to purchase the fan)

The two cables the braiding is awesome i really like the shade of red it is. and the braiding blocks the cables (only really noticable one is the black cable in the 8 pin - 8pin)

The only thing i'd change is the 8 pin to 8 pin i'd rather it be a 6+2 to 6+2 as then it can be used in a wider variety of cards (unless ive mistaken a CPU 8 pin :L)

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I was able to remove the blades of the fan by giving them a slight tug.

15. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

Got my kit today, red fan, blue cables.

Installed the fan, pushing air out of the back, and gotta say it seems to be doing a great job.
    Much better than the fan it now replaces, and the red glow is nice too!

Will repeat what others have said, the quality of the sleeving is great all around, and I would not hesitate to buy Phobya kit in the future.
    I would also include some screws with the fan, for the price it will provide a great amount of user satisfaction, and will generate a good reputation. Also, if the fans are being marketed as beneficial in making a system quiet, then some kind of sound dampening would be a great addition to the pack.

Feedback for the competition - I think it was great. A few wrinkles could be ironed out - such as the rules, but aside from that I think any problems were generated through people being impatient or 'greedy'. Its a giveaway, and its only through the kindness of Aquatuning that it exists, so patience and common decency should prevail.

16. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I can add to what yatesy says about it being marketed as a quiet fan - some kind of speed drop connector like the Noctua's do would be good, but would add to the price.

17. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

Mine arrived today too, going to fit it in a little bit :D

First task, food!

18. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

ok im gonna cut a couple long storys short:

1. dont install fans withthe pc on you get blood everywhere when you forget to unplug them first

2. i desperitely need a fan controller if anyone can suggest a good one for 6+ fans on a very low budget

right to teh review!!!!

Do you like them?
    Would you buy them?
    What would you change?
    Do you like the quality?

8 pin cable with blue sleeving:
    winning this competition has made me realise my 4890 is melting my psus 8 pin atx power cable therefore i should have bought it already so big yes i like it and i should have already bought it.
    Like others have said before me i would have put on less sleeving so that the cables are less visible otherwise its a great quality product and the connectors at either end are made of much higher quality plastics than most of the adapters kicking around my case and on par with the connectors on my very high quality be quiet! psu.

3 pin fan connector:
    i like it.
    i wouldn't buy it personally because i have a mid tower case but if i were to have a full tower or massive case then yes i would buy it as aside from the phobya fan i just won all of the fans cables are pretty much at their length limits.
    the sleeving has a much better length on this cable and the quality of plastics and sleeving is again top notch.

phobya G-silent 12 1500rpm Red LED
    i like it its very pretty, obviously leds that match my case better would have been awesome but im not marking down the fan based on color i was given it after all.

as for buying it...
    yeh id buy it in fact when i go to uni and do some upgrading with my grants i plan on replacing all of my fans with these so yes aquatuning you've won a customer =P

change... change... change... nope dont like change it scares me.

quality its pretty, its made of good materials, its cable is mahooosive and sleeved, the blades come off for maintainence/cleaning. its a great quality product i would reccomend to anyone.

also i did a bit of a simple hand up to the fan test to see what was what and ive got xilence fans, an nzxt fan, a corsair h50 fan and an enermax twister batwing all of which are 120mm like the phobya, i tries them all on the motherboard and on 12v and the phobya was the quietest to my ear and also seemed to push the most air.

so yeh if ur after extention cables buy phobya, its good quality s**t.

as for fans unless ur after something mental like an antec bigboy these phobyas should be enough to keep any hardware cool.

id post pics but then youd see how i cant afford a good camera and how terrible my photography is ^^

l8ers all!

zpikez

19. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Just spotted, the Nano-G version comes with a reducer cable for 5 or 7v - they cost a few £ more though.

20. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Yep fell for that myself today - I always do it :wallbash:

Nice cut across the top of my hand where I caught in an S-Flex running at 1200rpm :duh: