1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Damn, wonderful stuff already!

2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Keep em coming!

3. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Very interesting design Waynio, You do like to make things tricky for yourself :D.

The mixture of wood and metals is nice, looks a little thin perhaps, i hope nothing splits for you with the wood.

Scroll saw looks fun, wouldnt mind a go with one of them.

Good luck, not that you need it, im sure youl pull this one off ok.

4. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

aahhhh... and so it begins....

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

5. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Come on now Waynio, be considerate to your viewers.... quit your job so we can have daily updates! After Stealthlow I'm quite excited to be watching this one :D

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I'm thinking doing the straight lines was difficult, following shapes will either be easier slightly or harder :lol:.

Will do :).

Cheers Pablo, :) yeah I'm yet to find how tricky wood can be :D hope I don't have too much trouble with it & I'm probably being a bit too ambitious with trying to make specific thickness panels 2 including 3mm :eeek::) & a good scroll saw is just awesome mate, goes slow with hard thick material but 3mm & below it breezes through it really nicely, compared to my dremel days it's just pure niceness especially with not being restricted as much to the thickness of material :D.

:D:rock:

:lol: I totally burnt myself out a pile of times on Stealthlow, learning to pace myself now to keep updates regular without burnouts :D.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The lighting in the cellar was pretty bad, too dim so took the daylight bulb from my room & used 1 of my clip on light fixings so no more cast shadows in way of the cutting line & far better lighting for good work & better photos but my eye focus is carry on wandering off with it taking so long so have to stop every few minutes to regain it, taken over an hour to get the cut this far, could really do with some kind of magnifying aid, it cuts so slow you sometimes think it isn't cutting even though it is but agonisingly slow, I hate cutting thick tough material it's easily the biggest test on my patience I ever had & this is the smallest piece to be done, ugh lol :D think I'll mark every couple of mm so I can tell it is cutting :lol:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I need one of those! :D

9. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

I have tool envy. I love how clean the curves and cuts look.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Every modder should have a scroll saw, (voigts got me speaking American English :duh::hehe:) Fretsaw, was after seeing voigts work on his projects I got interested in fretsaws, the cheap one I got just wet my appetite plenty good enough to splash out on a good one when I had the cash :D I will use it to make many projects, computers & furniture.

Best tool I ever bought mate & this one it can go all day without overheating :rock: pretty time consuming though cutting 10mm alu but it's very doable :).

If I did this on my first scroll saw coffee would be everywhere from vibrations :D.
    [​IMG]

Half way point of the curve cut.
    [​IMG]

Lol after getting to half way around the curve cut I decided it's really going way too slow for my liking & would have taken a really long time to do the way I was doing so gambled the lifespan of the blades but carefully :D.

Glad I did, I found by pushing them close to snapping point but a little bit away from that I was getting though it pretty well indeed, took quite a few hours to realise this though so I think I shouldn't have a problem getting the 2 bigger side panels done tomorrow :).

And any straight cuts in thick materials I'll stick to using the cut up band saw blades, much quicker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I must have been rusty or struggling with the never tried before thickness of alu on the scroll saw when doing the first cuts so ideally I should buy a little more 10mm plate so I can remake this piece but having said that I could mod the design a touch to hide the tiny mistake & hiding it would allow for a touch more detail which isn't a bad thing so think I'll do that with it being a faint cosmetic flaw rather than a structural flaw so the game plan has already changed a tiny bit but thought of something which will just make it more detailed :D.

11. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

awesome work so far with this saw.
    I've tried it once with such one, but didn't got a streight line. I think it was because of the quality of the sawblade, but what you did here is just! :wow:

I'm looking forward. :thumb:

also subbed. :)

12. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Waynio As always, you have brought a great project for us. :rock:

Congratulations for the work and for sure this will be another mod of the month :thumb:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :) cutting straight lines is more difficult than curves bizarrely lol but if you take it slow & careful holding the piece good & firm it can go quite well :).

Going to try to make various grit sanding blades for all the internal edges, hopefully it'll work nicely.

:D Cheers Marcos :rock::D & I'll do my best to try & get an update done every day, thought I'd have got more done but underestimated how long the 10mm plate would take :D.

14. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

10mm alu? That must be a challenge to cut through. I think 1 1/2" thick oak is challenge enough. That design is radical to say the least.

I must say I envy that Excalibur scrollsaw. Mine has a lot of oomph to be sure, but it is a "C" type scrollsaw and hence isn't as good at making tight cuts as one where the blade does a true straight up and down motion. And yes, it is a SCROLLSAW, not a fretsaw. A fretsaw is a manual saw. Gotta make sure I keep you straight you know... ;)

15. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the tool? I've started a hunt for a decent and cheap one here in the Seattle area.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'm thinking get the toughest or most time consuming bits done first & then the rest will be kind of easy in comparison, or at least I hope so :D & I'm still highly impressed by what you done with yours & can easily imagine how 1 & 1/2 inch would have been tough to do intricate work on but you done it to a sweet standard, is the reason I was keen to buy one, seen a lot of potential in them :), if I was loaded I'd buy you & a few others 1 mate :D.

And calling a powered fretsaw a scrollsaw makes perfect sense to me so have no problem adopting that modded English :D, tried a manual fretsaw & it takes lots of practice to build the right technique like any manual unpowered tools but a scrollsaw is so much quicker to get to grips with.

Paid an eye watering £510 for it but comparing the 1 off price of that to having things regularly custom cut by 3rd parties it'll save me money & not have to rely on others & build skill at the same time so it was expensive but money well spent I still believe :) I'm sure you'll find 1 as good for much less over there mate :) always pay high for most things here :duh:.

Hegnar, proxxon & even dewalt also do excellent ones but the one I bought I got because it doesn't need to tilt the table for bevel cuts & the throat depth is a massive 760mm so I'll have no problems working on big panels, can even cut 1000mm sheet strips with it by cutting 1 half & then flipping it around to finish off :).

17. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Nice scrollsaw Waynio and you will be cutting for some time i guess.:D Looks great already and i cant wait to see more.:D

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Paslis :D Yeah going at the slow pace I was before figuring how to do it faster it would have taken a week of many hours a day to get through all the 10mm alu :eeek: but with knowing how to go faster now I'd say a couple of days instead :clap: still a long time but not bad really :D.

Also found it does the thick stuff best on slowest speed.

Got some adhesive spray & more masking tape so good to go but I think if I started right now I'd end up doing it until it's done which would probably be in the early hours so I'll pass until tomorrow so I can maintain a proper sleep pattern & put a good solid day into it tomorrow :D.

19. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

This maybe a bit of daft question but have you tried different blades as far as the tpi ( tooth per inch ) . I found when cutting thick acrylic on the band saw that just a difference of 2 tpi made a lot of difference to the speed and quality of the cut .

Just a thought :)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I bought 12, 18, 25, 32 & 48 TPI metal fretsaw blades, the 12 TPI is for very thick material up to 2 inch, 18 is good for like 10mm, 25TPI is good for 5mm or less, 32 & above is good for thin material & they go up to silly high TPI for jewelers type superfine metal work the 48 TPI ones I accidentally got because of wrong listing but I'm sure I'll have a use for them at some point :D.

The band saw blade I use is 25 TPI but is a sturdy blade so is good for straight cuts on anything I've thrown at it so far :D.

Acrylic seems to be my favourite material to cut up, does it so easily :D, but I will give it a go with the different ones just to see if it makes a better difference on the 10mm alu ;).

The machining marks I'll be able to get rid of easily with DIY sanding strips adapted to the scrollsaw :) it looks kinda rough as if you could scuff your skin on it but it is really smooth feeling.