1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Robot :lol: thanks Alex :D I have a good grip of my sleep pattern now so been able to do something every day so far so I intend to keep it that way mate, so much healthier way of doing it rather than how I did last time, burning out, becoming a mess wow. :D

:blush::D Cheers Marcos :D just checked in on your log, looking good mate. :)

Cheers Kidmod :) I'll understand if people hold off on commenting as it's just tons of scroll saw work to get through for a while yet & the 10mm alu was going at a snail pace until I started modding the blades to munch through it quicker, I'll keep the updates flowing though. :D

I measure marked in sketchup so I could fit the stands design on 4 a-4 sheets then drew aligning crosses with circles (2 for each joining edge), used layout to make a 4 page pdf, printed, then used a ruler & razor to cut where needed, then joined together as spot on as humanly possible & tacked together with a tiny piece of cello tape & tacked all pieces together & then completed any gaps that missed cello tape to aid in none tear application, then took the masked up panel & design to the garage, gave the work piece a good spray with the adhesive & stuck the design on it, ready for cutting. :)

These are 4 a-4 prints cut to size with a ruler & razor.
    [​IMG]

Joined together carefully with cello tape.
    [​IMG]

Stuck on the masking tape covered alu plate ready for drilling & cutting.
    [​IMG]

Quite a process & botched the first one so needed to print another 4 :lol: but much easier & more precise than manual marking which takes a heck of a long time for me & the glue spray is a much better method than pritt stick. :hehe::thumb:

I did consider using a CAD printing company to upload the designs to so they could print them onto bigger sheets of paper but thought I'd give joining a-4 sheets together to learn a new trick. :D

This process is a bit time consuming with it being new to me so I'll do the cutting tomorrow & attempt to get these last 2 10mm plates done.

I'll be back :D

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Can't wait!

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

As long as you are sure the print matches the true size, I'm happy! :)

Still sitting here awaiting more updates! :thumb:

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) I'll be getting busy tomorrow. :thumb:

Thanks Angel :) I couldn't help but go run to measure :lol: it's good :thumb: phew. :D

5. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

there some chunky bits of alu lol. like the little bansaw mod to get it round them corners

i really like that your doing it yourself and learning new tricks n skills
    looking forward to seeing it get built up!

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks spigs, those big plates are difficult to manage, having to balance it in 1 hand & do the scroll work with the other :eeek: weighs quite a bit too while holding it there for ages. :D

I'll get the excess cut off eventually though so it will be more managable, takes extra long with only using 1 hand with supporting the big piece. :D

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Could really do with making an extension table for the front & sides although I suppose I could flip the blade the other way around & pull instead of push, might be trickier though but I'll give it a try, my arms keep going dead from holding the heavy plate while guiding it with 1 hand so need to stop every few minutes. :D

Anyway taking off the excess weight from the outside edges, hopefully I can dig deep & do all the outside edges at least today, still about 6 or 7 hours until I'll call it a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KidMod-Southpaw

No, you'll work until sunset, which means very short hours at the moment! :lol:
    Nice start, want more!

9. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Well, I'm very glad you did! :) I don't know what printer you're using, but we have some students who print their design for PCB's on an inkjet printer. It can easily end up 1-2% larger in real life, than what they thought. :)

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D We'll see, I'm feeling a little mashed from a cold or something that's been kicking in all day.

I believe that.

What I do is copy paste the model piece into a new sketchup file orientate it so it's facing down.

Check camera pararlel projection, then camera view as top, save exit.

Open layout that is usable with the student version of sketchup & place the sketchup file into it, resize it & make sure it's set to 1:1 scale & if it's bigger than a-4 size the design needs markers so I can align it all properly after printing.

Then when printing from adobe reader I set it to print 100% to scale & it does it perfect, works just like the fan mount templates around the net that people print off. :)

I found if I put my ruler on 100mm so it's perfectly in line with the line on the design & it's say 200mm wide it lines up perfectly at 300mm on the other line so this is why I'm cutting either just outside the cut lines or inside them which gets what I modelled in sketchup. :) Pretty damn cool being able to do that. :D

It's a cheap canon printer, not sure of the model but it works well. :)

Feels like I'm full of a cold or something but I'll try to keep it from letting me be a lazy arse. :D

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's a really tough scroll saw, man! My el-cheapo saw would be making screaming noises if I tried to cut a chunk of metal like that.

I've done a ton of re-sizing from screen shots. The best trick is to draw a even numbered square around the area you want to print, crop the exported screenshot to that square, and re-size to the square's measurements. It's good for transferring .DXF files into drawing programs like Illustrator too.

12. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

OOOooo! Nice tip! Putting this one into the repository.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks for the tip cheaps will come in handy for whenever I need to do that mate :) but when I said about resizing I just meant expanding the too large for a-4 print size pattern in layout & then setting it to full size which allows me to export multi page printable pdf files which work as spot on templates for my design. :)

Back to 10mm alu hell :D

Just as I got the hang of the 10mm alu I've come up to another problem with having huge difficulty cutting the size of the stands panels because of the lack of front table on the scroll saw (only a tiny bit to feed material from which is crazy considering the depth of it), it rattles the work piece like crazy with it overhanging so far even when holding it down hard & having to hold the overhanging end while guiding it & holding it down firmly with 1 hand, it's doable but it's many times more difficult than having a good surface to work it properly.

So it's time to go all A-Team mode & upgrade the scroll saw table to give it a bigger loading area :lol: I'll make an extension that comes out about an extra 300mm for the front & about 100mm past the blade area & make it about 200mm wider so shouldn't have anymore problems with feeding the saw materials, this will be an unplanned mini project for tomorrow (just an image in my mind of what I want) & hoefully I get it ready for action tomorrow also :D & it will force me to use the chop saw for the first time for the idea I have for it, hopefully I have enough spare 3mm alu for the platform & base & enough spare bar to make the height of it, tomorrow should be an interesting day & a welcome change to cutting 10mm alu. :D

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Had a 17 hour sleep lol, this cold or whatever it is really kicked my rear for the first day, 17 hours :eeek: :lol: but I'm feeling a lot better & my nose isn't dribbling like it were, just a slightly sore throat & temporary damaged sleep pattern so a quick passing cold.

Since the work I'm doing is noisy due to the table not being big enough to support bigger pieces on the front I'll use tonight to get all the designs ready for printing.

I made the extension surface piece last night, just need a base & bars or blocks of wood to make the height right & then fix it to the table which the saw is on, could have ordered a 6mm large alu sheet to replace the stock one but it costs £70 with VAT & delivery.

If I bought 2 3mm sheets it would be £55 delivery included & I know the seller sends them out fast, it's tempting because it won't require a complex mod, just add the mounting holes, cutting hole & dust holes & smooth off the holes & edges & replace the stock one, very tempted but I'll see if I can make an easy to remove one first with scraps lying around. :D

15. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Great start to a new thread, you've got some very impressive skills with that scroll saw, and lots of patients :thumb:, bet all that alu cost a fair bit.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :) & yeah it wasn't a cheap start up cost but hopefully I won't muckup too much causing a need for replacement materials, hope so anyway. :D

Finally got the extension for the front of the scroll saw made. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be able to use both hands now for parts like this. :rock:

Progress resumes tomorrow, wooo hoooooo. :D

MOTM time :D I'll head on over to check it out. :D

17. Martininho

Martininho What's a Dremel?

WoW Waynio,

This is an interesting looking build from all sorts of perspectives. This being my first post ill explain. I´ve been reading up on this forum for a while now, but i am abslutely new to modding. Since i´ve been reading here, i have had some insane ideas and i really wish to start modding at some point. Started ordering parts. I will post later on for myself. Thanks for inspiring me Waynio and keep up the great work. Love your builds ALOT!
    :rock:

18. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

lol, nice mod to make you mod :), seems like a bit of a design flaw selling them with such a small table in front of the blade, yours is much better.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

Great stuff, well done! :thumb:

20. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

You know, I was kind of thinking the same thing... why don't they come with larger tables, or at least with the option for it