1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Mankz no longer Mod?!

Discussion in 'General' started by fuus, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

They backed out of the market because every reviewer was pushing bloody ASUS boards. I know there still knocking around, but its one less brand in our segment.

I fear you've not been around long enough to know a true champion of motherboards.

I shall leave you with this, AN7 or 8RDA3+

Those boards accelerated AMD sales at the time, pushing Intel out the market for years.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Epox and Abit? Those were the days.....

I always had an affair with the Abit P35s. Those were not only beautiful boards, but rather amusing too. Or any DFI boards...

Shame they left the industry. I will always remember their cries of glory with flourescent coloring. But you have to admit burnout. When they did back out, it was after the 2008 market slump and when board manufacturers were scrambling to try innovative things with P35 and P45 chipsets. Them were some interesting times.

3. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Where was my email Bindi? I feel all left out...

4. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

ummm that just lost you the battle for me:p. i personally loathe amd:worried:, dunno why but I always have. NTM many of their products produce ludicrous amounts of heat. and i am not saying that other boards aren't as good, but my personal experience with rog, and asus as a whole don't leave me complaining if there's a bias. also, that's if it would even result in a bias. which, due to the sheer diversity of the B-T community there is little chance that that would last or even occur.:)

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

One word. NetBurst.

Also, I've just realised I've never owned an Asus board :eeek:

6. siliconfanatic

Blasphemy!:p

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I'll tell you the truth... @Nexxo gave Mankz a special mission, he will be sent back to 2002 to stop the allied forces of Skynet, The Warrez and the tied of Spam. May the Relix be with you in the holy crusade.

8. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Asus NF7, DFI NF2, so much personality in two boards. Went through 5 different DFI's in 4 months once, used to blow the capacitors on them while clocking Mobile Athlon chips. Anyone who says they hate AMD can't have been around during the days of the Athlon Mobile 2500+!

It'll be nice to have more smut back on the forum though. Welcome back to minionage Mankz :D

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

:lol: :D :thumb: :worried:

All my mobos have been Asus funnily enough, for better or worse...

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Oh, God. I predict in a year's time we'll see a new line of computer cases - the Asus Metaversa line. Much celebration will be had.

11. siliconfanatic

Yep. Basic aluminum frames. Best possible case for a modder. :dremel: Well, that, a mobo tray, hdd bay, and psu bay. Maybe the gpu slots. The very essence of a case. Then it all goes crazy, designed by techers for techers. :D :naughty:

Dont forget footage of you and relix slaying spambot terminators with yer digi-swords+ ban-hammers :hehe:

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A light theme was something I meant to try and do many moons ago, but never got around to.

/adds to the list.

Fred, you're welcome to pop over :D

13. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I would hazard a guess that if you loathe AMD you aren't old enough to of known them when they were actually better than Intel. Otherwise- it's a silly statement.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ahh.. The days of the 3700+ and then the Opty 148..

15. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Ahhh I remember those days well. I would love AMD to have a resurgence and rise to the top again. We need more competition and real choice in the CPU market.

For the first time in years I'm considering using AMD again. I'm going to build a small form factor HTPC / gaming machine and the AMD A10 5800K is looking a strong contender for it.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Clearly your too young to know different, so I won't burn you for that silly statement.

The 2500 XP-M, 3700+ sandy and the opty 165 all clocked to 3GHz for me, and that's a mean feat on a 2500 XP-M, using Epox and DFI boards. It wasn't until the Intel E6600 did we see Intel take the lead again and the Q6600 "fake quad" kept them there.

I've used Asus boards in the past, but suffered DOA, or death after a few days. (Usually start overclocking approximately a week after 1st boot so clocking isn't linked to death). All my builds have been done in clean anti static conditions and never had any other brand die on me without giving loyal service.

However I shall omit Asus churn out so many boards their failure rates will increase over others.

I fear I have derailed this thread in a major way. However I am glad mankz took his actions to leave, I will miss him as a mod, however it would have brought question to the impartial views of the forum.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It wouldn't have done, but I didn't want anyone to think that it might.. :)

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

You might be working for Asus, but I know you give other brands a good chance so that was never really a worry for me.

Hope you have fun there

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

woaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just time traveled back to 2002 ! awesome :D

Another board of the time that was awesome for completely different reason : ECS K7S5A

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My god, put the rose tinted glasses away. :p That's not what happened at all. DFI made some internal changes, some people left and their lead BIOS dev stopped doing BIOS'. For every legendary board DFI made they made 2-3 **** ones. Epox team left to another/got bought out (oftentimes whole teams move companies with managers here in TW) and ended up in several places like EVGA, then Sapphire more recently (well, what was left of them) and Abit.. well.. Taiwanese Mafia loans generally don't end well. I'm sure there are more old journo's with better knowledge of the old industry than me.

Motherboards are not what kept AMD going, good CPUs are what kept AMD going.

There were bloody good Intel boards in there too, it's just no one was buying P4s. ICFX 3200, P5P800, IC7 MAX, (BP6). /digs through old reviews

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Jan 2013