1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Maple's Colossal Problem; CPU whining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 21 Jun 2012.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'm not sure if a case can become "faulty" per se, but its more of an indication of a short more than anything else. If it still doesn't boot then something has gone wrong with the Antec installation.

2. maple

maple Minimodder

Still not starting Is there anything else I can do

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Take the Antec off and replace it with the cooler you had on before. I'm out of ideas after that though so I'll leave it to someone else from here on

4. maple

maple Minimodder

Will try the old cooler aswell, do you think that the case power switch may be faulty though?

I have a feeling scan won't replace it though, it is nearly a year old manufacture warranty is actually 2 years but that goes to scan. I have thrown away the box though

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Possibly but highly unlikely. You can do the screwdriver trick when the motherboard is inside the case to rule that out though.

It might be something simple. I do doubt that the motherboard has become faulty during the installation process though.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Disconnect the power switch lead from the front panel header and short the connections with a screw driver (carefully).

If it comes to life then your power switch is indeed faulty.

7. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Do you have another PSU that you could try? It is possible that the PSU is not providing enough power to fire up the machine, perhaps?

8. maple

maple Minimodder

Ive stuck the old cooler in and still no boot, the power supply was working fine before this happened, everything was working fine before this so I don't know i'm really worried though and do need my main computer up and running

9. maple

maple Minimodder

ima bit hesitant to do that as I feel i may break it though I may have already broke it accidentally while I was installing top fan

10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

All due respect Maple, everything is working till it breaks.
    Just sayin' if you have another power supply you could try it may be worth a check?

11. maple

maple Minimodder

I have the one in the budget pc but it wont be enough to power this pc (GTX 460 needs 2x 6 pin) etc

12. maple

maple Minimodder

I've been trying to turn it on again with the screwdriver but it wont come on, does this mean maybe the mobo is broke and not the case power switch

ive tried tapping the 2 pins where the power switch wire goes tried touching them for longer but nothing

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I would remove everything but the memory and cpu and see if you get a boot (assuming you have an onboard option) if that doesn't work, try another psu

14. maple

maple Minimodder

The motherboard has no IGP unfortunately

so what could be faulty?

mobo
    psu
    case?

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's either the PSU or the mobo.

Reassemble the motherboard, CPU, cooler and memory on a table, plug in psu, see if it powers up. If not, pinch the PSU from your budget rig and see if that powers it up. If it does then your PSU is duff. If not, try your "beast" PSU in your budget rig to make sure it works, in which case your "beast" mobo is duff.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  16. maple

maple Minimodder

I think 'll try the psu in the budget pc maybe hope the budget pc doesnt mess up too

do you think when i took the mobo out and put it back in and when i tried to get the screw and stand off out i damaged the mobo though i cant seem to find any marks/signs of damage on anything, this mobo has been alright for nearly a year if it is indeed faulty do you think i could get replacment

17. maple

maple Minimodder

Just to0 make sure I wasn't doing it wrong, I turned on my budget pc by using the screwdriver on the 2 pins and it came on, so I wasn't doing it wrong then, and it looks like not the case either hopefully will test the psu someway

18. maple

maple Minimodder

tried the power supply in the budget pc; worked fine

19. maple

maple Minimodder

Does this mean it is the motherboard then?

I'm thinking about dismantling the budget pc and sticking it into the beast case to see if it works but i really cant be botherd dismantling the budget pc and if something goes wrong then I have no pc

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

If the motherboard doesn't start sitting outside the PC with just the basics plugged in then it's not the case. Have you tried reseating the CPU and used the original cooler?