1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards. I Don't Get It.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madness_3d, 29 Jan 2013.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

this is not true - Red switches are much lighter than any rubber dome keyboard. And the actuation point is before the stroke bottom's out, so it's faster in that respect to.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have an older mechanical keyboard and a Logitech G15 (1st gen) and I have to say that I have no great love for the mechanical over the G15.

Like others have said, it is subjective, but for me I just don't see the point in getting them (especially multiples). Then again, I spend what little money I have on axes :D

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have had a bash on a few mechanicals on display.

Seemed nice enough but would I drop £100 or wet my pants over changing the coloured keycaps?

Err No!

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I love my mech board, and now I'm looking at getting one for work; because the difference between work and home is stark. My typing actually slowed down when I first got my board - they take a little while to get used to, but feel great from the moment you get one.

Those SteelSeries boards are going for £50 at ASDA.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I can see why people wouldn't be interested (the price first of all and then the terminology - would could have thought that there could be more to a keyboard than what they look like?!) but having used mechanical keyboards I would also never go back...

I liken it to playing games on the lowest settings - you're getting a gaming experience but not the best gaming experience. All of a sudden you get a new graphics card & crank up the settings and then you realise what you were missing - at the heart of it it's the same game as before, but now it's much, much more enjoyable.

(Also, rollo - reds for gaming are the cheesecake :D)

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Bit rude - I don't get how we went for discussing mechanical keyboards to being rude and offensive.

Unfortunately, people have hobbies. I don't really understand people who collect stamps - like my grandad, he collects stamps and postage marks, some of them excite him greatly and I cannot even summon a small percentage of the same excitement or passion he is getting from a certain postage mark, but that's because I don't understand at all. In the same vein mechanical keyboards and some peoples desire to have custom caps is something you don't understand. Which is just fine, you probably do a lot of things I don't understand - but that doesn't mean you have to be rude about it. Just accept it's something people do - they aren't after all impacting on you in any way shape or form.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Reds are nice for gaming but job comes first and I could not type well on the red I tested.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I will admit, I thought the mech keyboard thing was all just over priced tat, and I would have never bought one...

I was then lucky enough to win a Corsair K60 with Red switches, and it changed everything. It makes typing, gaming, everything a breeze, and easier than you could imagine based on dome switched. Yes, £70+ is lots to spend on a board, but you'll notice the difference from the second you start using it and wonder how you lived without it. If it lasts you 2 years, that's 10p a day... which is nothing.

I like typing on it, but think the buying/selling keys for vast sums of money is a little silly.

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Would have been rude if I dropped into the mech thread and made the point but I respect people enough to let people get on with their collecting and clicking if that's what they want to do :thumb:

10. GeorgeK

Based on the age of some the keyboards still in use out there 2 years is a very conservative estimate! Cherry MX Switches are rated for 50 million keystrokes!

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I seem to get about 2 years off a board before the USB's fry themselves.. the keys still work but the circuitry or something gets borked.

That was with domes, and I thrash my keys pretty damn hard too.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Like Mankz, I won one, and went from a Rubber Dome Saitek to a Corsair K60.

Its a very nice bit of kit, and there is no question that mechanical keyboards are much nicer to use, but, I personally think they are overpriced. Then again, there are rubber dome 'gaming' keyboards out there that are the same price (but I think they are overpriced also).

Basically, for me, mechanical keyboards will never be a must have, more of a luxury item.

13. GeorgeK

Fair enough Mankz - I've actually learnt to type quicker and softer with browns and reds...

(Your avatar by the way is disturbing me more than a little - but yet I can't seem to stop watching it)

Edit: They are expensive Parge but the individual components aren't cheap (the switches in particular - I bought 70 switches loose recently and they set me back over £40)

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

When I first saw this thread I didn't understand it, why would mechanical keyboard change anything. it's like coming back to old huge key caps keyboard that makes noise etc:)
    I started my computer journey in late 80's and from that age keyboards were evolving to ultra flat models, like Logitech. I always thought this was a way to go, to get newer flat models:)

Then I listened to a youtube clip with recorded typing on black and brown switches keyboard... and fell in love with the sound of it:D
    Then I got Cooler Master QFT and love it. It's a bit hard to type on it after all those years of using flat keyboards, but it takes me back to the time when I got my first PC, 386SX :D

I think you need to try it first, type on it, listen to it, try different switches and see if you gonna like it.
    It's like a caviar - some people love it, some hate it...

Last edited: 30 Jan 2013
  15. GeorgeK

And some people haven't tried it (yet) :thumb:

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm slowly getting there, just takes some getting used to is all.. you spend 16 years mashing on a board in a certain way, so it takes a while to adjust. I must admit, I find it rather difficult going from my Red to the keyboard on my laptop at work I'm typing on now... I really must just get a cheap mech to use here as well.

That's the result of a productive lunch hour yesterday.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My advice to newcomers who are interested in seeing what the fuss is about would be to stick a wanted thread in the marketplace.

Getting a preloved decent board is hugely preferable to starting out with a new Razer or similar, and they hold their value fantastically well if you are patient with your sale.

Just for illustration, I have sold two boards with red switches on here in the past several months, a CM Storm Quickfire Pro and a Rapid (sale thread here). £45 to £50 is a great way of dipping your feet without breaking the bank.

18. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

My K60 stopped working the other day and I went back to my old MS rubber dome keyboard. The experience was worse than using an old Nokia while my smartphone was being repaired. The K60 started working again so life is good once more.
    I'll also agree that the 'mechanicals are bad for gaming' comment is complete crap.
    The dishwasher comment is so true. I used to live like a savage.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I thought mechanicals were brought back purely because they are better for gaming.. :confused:

20. GeorgeK

I agree with Shirty - if you want to see what the fuss is about then you'll not lose much on a mechanical board (the more you spend initially, the more you stand to lose) as they hold their value well. If you're not bothered at all then no problems!