1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mini Monster (Wood)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PabloFunky, 17 Jun 2011.

1. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

My thought exactly. Looking good.

2. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Thanks, yep i may eventually finish it, not sure where Bulldogs got to though?

The dowels were the bit i was a little worried about, but that bits gone ok, without issue.

I want to get that front panel laquered soon as poss, I dont want any warping.

3. PabloFunky

Updates.

I have updated top panel again, now has a larger resevoir top see through window, also recessed to take the glass/perspex. 8mm depth.

Front panel now progressed to take audio conns and usb recess and fan recess.

Strangely i had some 5.25 bay covers, which were exact size for testing as a temp grill, totally not deliberate.

I recessed till it looked about the right size, then planned to make the grill to suit whatever size it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazy amount of recessing lately and marking out and so on.

4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Niiiiiice.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah that is really nice & clean Pablo. :rock::) Marking up takes a long time to get right, always took me longer to mark up than do things. :D:duh:

6. PabloFunky

Ive been busy again, wont bore you with the marking up, setting machines, laquering, de-nibbing, relaquering, drilling, dowels,clearance routing, etc etc etc etc etc, etc.

ssd rack, 5.25 rack, shelf.

I know you want pics.

Gonna remove 1 of each dowels from top of racks, as thats total overkil, then will push top down to secure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

Looking good pete
    nearly finished

8. PabloFunky

Ok some more pics then.

30% sheen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking very good :)

10. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Sweet something of something...

11. peteski

peteski long live the pc

just read all thro your log mate and it's such a smart build your wood work skills amaze me :rock: :rock: :rock:

12. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

My god this is awesome! It reminds me of Atilla's work in aluminium, design wise. Very cool.

13. PabloFunky

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Its likely im remaking the front panel, as im not happy about the dowel fill on it, as originally i was gonna afix using brackets, till it was suggested to use dowels, which im now using.

I had some wood ready for the side panels, but it had weathered too much, so im not gonna use that now.

Im waiting for the grill to be laser cut for the top, but pretty close to finishing in many respects now.

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

When I read that you planned on using wood for the side panels, I thought "Aaaaaw, that's a shame!" as I looks so cool being an open case like that. Kinda reminds me of Attila's cases, but only in wood.

Maybe just create the side panels from acrylics, aluminium and perhaps some mesh here and there? Would give the entire project an open feel to it and would make it feel more like art and less like a box.

Just a suggestion...

15. PabloFunky

Hi, Well nothing is ever set in stone as such. (already some deviation from original layout)

When i create a 3d model, i never spend a million years laying it out, as i usually work on the fly alot, things do change somewhat

If i dont like the wood panels, they can always have a second use of firewood.

To tell the truth i never really thought about other ideas, so any input is welcome,

Acrylic may work as im using acrylic/glass res window in top panel

Left side would be window cutout though, and would also be hinged as a door, not a panel.

Youve got me thinking now though about some acrylic to show inside parts of the wood.

Would be nice idea to show other stuff when making windows, as traditionally we only wanna see the mobo, but as you say, with wood being nicer than metal on cosmetic point of view, would be a shame to hide it

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This is coming along well, looking forward to seeing the finished article.

17. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Coming along wonderfully. I would go full acrylic side panels as well, why hide any of this beauty. :)

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

With your nice milling ability you should be able to do some sweet flush fitting windows Pablo, I feel this started out as a none serious attempt at a nice wooden case project but has grown into one with sweet potential & looks awesome already mate. :)

Like what you did here.

19. PabloFunky

Well, i have drilled for dowels, to allow top to sit in place.

Remade the front panel as i didnt like the filled part in first one.
    The front panel is now Ash, The wood was going to be cut in half and thrown, but i grabbed it quick, as was ideal for my pc build.

more rear routing for clearance and holes for power switch reset switch ssd led and routed out ready for 5.25s and audio conns part rerouted.

Also have drilled centers for usb to allow easier alignment when i finally route this part, (as sadly we dont have cnc machines, so all setups are marked out and manual sadly.

All dowels lining up fine for good perfecto fitting.

So lots done, but still not quite there yet.

Taking pics of wood, does tend to show different colours in diffo lighting positions, prob dont help with mixed woods and shades, but i think all pics look good though and gives some style with the diffo shades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

very nicely done. Your woodworking looks very good. I think some acrylic sides would fit in very nicely.