1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Of The Year 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Dec 2012.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately it's more of a question of man power. We lost several couple of members of staff at the beginning of the year due to cuts at Dennis - we only have time to do one competition at the moment - that goes for Mod of the Month too. Running two - one for mods and one for scratchbuilds means two sets of prizes and significantly more work in general which we simply can't do atm. We do hear you but for the time being we'll have to make do!

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Good luck to all the entries - What an amazing pool of talent we have here on Bit-tech.

Seriously inspirational stuff

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

My senile a** keeps coming back thinking I can see MOTM-style status bars.:duh:
    @Combatus - Pretty much what I meant. There must be an amazing amount of work just communicating with sponsors. -Then there's the fact that you guys do this during the holidays when most would be saying, "Flick it, it's Christmas. It can wait."
    I think I'd rather be a lion tamer.

4. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

Fair enough Combatus and thanks a lot for still responding. As a former customer support agent I know how annoying those people are always coming up with the same issues ;)

And thank you too for making do' for all that time. Tbh, I couldn't imagine my 'internet-life' without bittech really. So thanks for that, keep going. Meanwhile hope dies last, maybe we'll see such a feature at some point :)

5. Combatus

@cheaps and faxiij - That's okay then :D Just so you know this is the reason not unwillingness or incompetence on our part. And yeah the sponsorship probably took a majority of the time. However I was pleasantly surprised by the willingness shown this year. Whether it's companies supporting modding more these days or seeing it as a cheaper form of advertising I'm not sure but the winners this year should have plenty of swag for future projects, which is the whole idea behind the competition really.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Voting page doesn't support my browser (Opera) :(

7. kier

kier -----------------

Thank you Bit-Tech and modding friends for nominating and voting for the Coolermaster Cosmos II MbK ;)

8. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Just got back from a week of pure non-internet snowboarding to find this nomination. Sooo Awesome ! Thanks Bit-tech and all that nominated the AT-AT for MoTY. What a honour again !
    *Bowing respectfully to the other contestants*

9. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Didn't even realize it was that time again already. Thanks for the nomination, it really is a huge honor. It was pretty tough for me to pick only 5 with the ridiculous quality of the competition this year.

Good luck to all, and happy new year!

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

The next level got my vote , the work involved and quality is exceptionally high. beats alot of the case mods hands down

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've only voted for one project, because i believe without a doubt it is the best (in my very humble opinion), even by the amazing standards set again this year. Yet bizzarly, it's not even got a mention in the comments yet!

SSR-X to me represents the very best in modding; a totally unique idea, meticulous planning, experimenting with different materials and excellent craftsmanship. We sat and watched as this Goliath of a build was constructed, with god knows how many individual pieces of aluminium crafted to construct the chassis and exterior, only for it to turn out to be a mould and eventually discarded. Plus some brilliant details like using an old motor housing for a res.

An absolutely stunning build.

12. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Unbelievably high standards this year. Difficult to pick just 5 - congrats to all the nominees!

13. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I've only just noticed this paragraph on the first page of the MOTY article.

However, first, second and third place will be influenced by our panel of judges who will select their favourites from the top five reader-voted projects

This seems a bit vague. Does this potentially mean that the project with the highest number of votes may still not be the winner?
    Also. who are the members of the panel?
    By 'influenced', what exactly do you mean?
    What criteria will they use to determine the top mod?

14. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

I missed this, too. These are questions that need to be answered. Nothing undermines the credibility of any decision-making process like the lack of transparency.

15. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Ohh I just saw that too! Brilliant thinking Bit-Tech!

That way, the person with most beggin-for-votes post wont win (Not that I hope any of the contestants would do that:D)

16. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Haha forget what I just said. 7 posts on Paultans facebook asking for friends, their friends and family to vote for him :p

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Attila - That just means you will still win no matter how much vote mining is done.:lol:

They have had problems with contestants ballot stuffing in the past. I imagine the new trend of Facebook 'like'-sluts is only making it worse. This is their way of making sure it's not a contest to see who has the most connections. (oop. Like what Pope said.:worried:)

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Self portrait after reading this.
    [​IMG]

That is all. :hehe:

19. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Good luck to all, they're all fantastic. It's really inspiring stuff guys

20. Combatus

p0Pe and cheapskate got it in one really.

There are several reasons for this. We were unable to use our usual custom poll system this year as it's currently broken. As such we had to opt for a slightly crude third party option. Also, sadly, we've had several cases of what I can only call suspicious/unsporting voting (multiple votes from the same IP etc). We can normally weed these out easily but it's been a bit more difficult to do without our own poll.

As such, we've decided to take the top five reader voted projects, and these will go before our panel of judges including members of bit-tech and other prominent modders, who will rank their top five. Cooler Master did a similar thing with its recent Modding Competition. It's a way of ensuring that it's impossible to win by fiddling/spamming/social media malarky alone. We're all for getting friends to vote but it comes to a point where it's quite simply unsporting. It's happened to such an extent that we felt these measures were necessary. This way, the best three projects will end up on the podium. All judges will remain anonymous I'm afraid but rest assured, they're all old-hands, members of bit-tech modding community and I trust them implicitly!

If anyone wants to discuss this in more detail I'd be happy to via PM in the forum.

Tags: Add Tags