1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Of The Year 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Dec 2012.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The winners will be announced later this week!

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I see. OK. :)

But there is still something that concerns me. Lets say most of the contestants are happy to be in the comp and are sitting back and biting their nails to see the outcome. But a few people are actively rorting the comp by vote mining/facebook hoaring :)lol:) or whatever. So at the end of the day you end up with the five highest voted projects. Some of these are the rorted projects, pushing out legitimate projects. So if you only consider the top five..................you see what I'm saying.

I never realised it was this bad. I didn't think modders would try to rig a comp with their peers.
    Sheesh, I didn't even ask my mum and dad to vote. Silly naive me. :hehe:

3. Combatus

I think this time round we'll have to make do but thankfully I am happy with the top five in that they all deserve to be there. Not that any in this year's lineup don't if I'm honest but I've very reluctant to start hacking swathes of votes as that would just make a mess. So from this point of view I think 2012 is okay.

But we'll have to think on about next year - maybe just have the voting in the forum instead like MOTM. Half the problem is that it's so easy to vote. At least in the forum it's limited to an extent. The main issue for me is the ability we gave to just vote for one project. Much of the spamming came from people just voting for one particular project, clearly not even looking at the article... The poll page alone had clearly been sent out and people were simply clicking for their friend and that's it. Now they're entitled to do this of course but an excessive number of people did so, and all for the same projects. It's not against the rules but is still disappointing, unsporting and just p***ed me off if I'm honest given how much time and effort I put into the competition.

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Attila, you would be suprised to see how some people react when there is internet fame and money on the podium. For many, winning something like this is all about marketing and they will continue to spam "PLEAAAAAASSEEEEEEE vote for meeeeeh" messages out.

It is alright posting on your facebook "Ohh look I have been nominated for MOTY" But to copy paste post directly asking for votes on ONLY your project is in my eyes pathetic and only shows that persons know they cant win fair and square.

I asked my girlfriend to vote on the projects she liked. One of her choices was Acronym because "Its so pretty! It looks like a perfect set of metal boobs!"

It is, as my old man always says:
    You never really know people until there is money involved.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hey, I did that too, Only I don't have any friends or family...:worried:

Poor Achron. He will always be that guy that built the boob case.

6. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

Some will win, others will lose. That's how competition are. Whoever wins will deserve it, that's why Bit-tech made some adjustments when they saw the amount of what you call "spam" votes. Please accept and respect the changes they made. Don't take it as a threat.

I myself had asked my friends to vote because isn't that the purpose of it? Now if they chose to vote me or not, it's fine. That how contest like this are. We can win and we can also lose. As long as we don't violate the rules. We have different views in voting, it just so happened that here we really love supporting our friends and families.

That's why we only build/mod PC for ourselves. Because building for others and expecting that they will like it will only give you disappointments if they didn't liked it in the end.

Nominees this year is really good. They are so good that you want them to all win and they are really considered winners. That's why we as the creator of the project will do anything legal just to present our work in the best way that we can.

Congratulations to all the nominees, to bit-tech for trying all your best to bring this contest and for the champion for 2013, a big big CONGRATULATIONS to you! You surely will deserve it.

7. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

If that's the only thing I am remembered for in this life, then I can die a happy man :D:D.

I did the same thing though, linked it on my facebook. I think only a few (3? 4?) of my friends voted, but I never told them to vote just for me, and specifically directed them to vote for 5 that they think deserved it. To me, it was more about bringing awareness to the community of people that we have here that put a lot of their time, effort, and heart into something that goes unnoticed by so many.

P.S. p0Pe...she's a keeper :).

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Exactly, whoever wins will deserve it, but ONLY because there will be a jury. That way you cant just spam your way to the top, and making this a popularity contest.

there is a big difference in just telling people you are nominated, and asking them to go watch the nomination page and taking their pick of the best and just spamming out messages asking people to vote for you with only THE FRIGGIN POLL linked.

I like your mods, and think you do crazy god work. But I basically lost every bit of respect I had for you when I saw that.

Man, if it stood to me, and only me, you would win mod of the century. Words cannot describe how much I respect the love and effort that you have put into that thing. It is, and will forever be my all time favorite mod:)

Oh, and cheaps, dont feel sad.Asked one of my best friends to vote for the ones he liked the most. He picked 5 and M8 was none of them :hehe:

9. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the nomination! I was moving when this came out so I forgot to share it and respond earlier. Good luck to all.

10. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

why? because I asked them to vote for me? Did I forced them? don't you want them to vote for you too?
    I understand what you are trying to say. and I dearly apologize If I offended anyone of you by asking votes and by linking the friggin poll. Don't worry, I'll ask Antony Leather to remove me from the nominees. Besides, what's the purpose of me being here if you don't even want me here.

I just thought that anyone from the nominees can win, despite the fact that one of them is a 2 time champion. Public gives the other nominees hope that they have a chance to win, not just because someone is already too good to win again. If you guys don't want to let others win. Then why nominate them? If you are disappointed about the voting results, then why picked 10+ projects if you already picked a winner?

I'm sorry if I let you lost you respect to me. I'm am truly sorry. If you feel that way. I really don't have any reason to stay here. Please remove me from the nominees if you think I violated/offended the rules.

11. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

The meaning of a voting process is to make the best mods win. Not to give everybody a chance to win by marketing. As I said, I want people to vote for me because they, in this case, think I am amongst the top five best mods in the world. Not because I once bought them a hamburger, or told them they have nice shoes.

Nobody can be too good to win. That would be like telling Michael Schumacher that he can no longer race because he is too good. The absolute elite modders sets the bar for others to break and they should be complimentet and respected for this. A win should be earned, not given or taken.

I am no moderator, and nor do I speak on the behalf of the community as a whole. I simply share my opinions on a very hot and difficult subject. You did not break any rules, but in my opinion it was wrong of you to just link to the poll, not even suggesting people to have a look at the other nominees. I do not know if others did the same, but if they did they now know my stand on the subject.

/edit
    For the record, I am not writing all this because I think I will be robbed of a podium placement. I can mention the first 10+ mods here that I think is better than my own.

12. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

You are right it is earned not given. Racer like michael won not because he just sleep all day and let others pass by him. Like everyone else, we have to do everything to win. We do our very best in modding like what we all did, and it so happens that my countrymen voted for me and decided freely. Dont blame me because you just waited for guys to vote you. We have different views and do things differently like modding. So i dont think i violated any rules. If you dont like promoting your work and dont want them to support you them please dont force me to do the same thing. We are different. But keep in mind that i respect and understand your views. You and all the members of this community have my full respect. Again. Sorry if i have offended you and for annoying you with my post via facebook.

13. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

I emailed the MOTY page to family members who wanted to vote, as I assumed everyone else would too, specially if said family members asked you for the link. I think this new way of voting is a good idea however as there are 5 cases going to the judges I believe it should therefore be required to select 5 cases you think are the best 5.

14. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

thank you for sharing your views to me. At least now i know how you felt.
    I have no intentions to offend or even make you and the others to feel bad.

Dont take me wrong, win or lose, at least I can say to myself that i did everything I can legally for this contest.

Have nice day

15. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I don't think anyone has committed a capital offense here but just to change the subject......

I don't envy the judges one little bit. I have my favourites, but if I had to rate these projects in an objective way.....Monumental task. Extremely difficult and I'm glad I'm not doing it! :hehe:

16. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah +1 to that, would be a very hard decision to choose each place.

17. Combatus

You got that right!!! :S

I think it's time to let bygons be bygons as nothing will be achieved by getting hot under the collar. We'll leave a discussion on the subject of voting for another time as 2012 is done and dusted. I'm happy with the way things have eventually turned out and I think you all will be when we announce the winners on Friday.

At the end of the day, everyone deserved to be here and we didn't stipulate any specific rules so as Attila says, no one has committed a capital offense. Well done to all the nominees for an awesome show of skill this year - probably my favorite MOTY since I've been at bit-tech and a huge thanks to everyone who helped, be it with the initial nominations, judging or moral support via MSN and Facebook!

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awwwww, only a few get to say a little of what they think of the BS that was spoiling modding for sooooooooo long, I wanna ramblahahahaaaaa. :lol:

:hehe: Joking I'm a happy modder again, thanks. :)

A word on respect though.
    Respect, you start off as equal & it rises or droops & also rises again, it's flexible unless your dealing with people who don't believe in forgiveness over small things, but you don't take it from people by farce, that's what ahh heads do who usually end up in prison although obviously not in something like this, :D it just means you don't understand what respect is, respect is a global thing, a universal thing, if you don't understand it properly then I guess you are from another galaxy from far far away like the common cold who drifted to earth from a passing comet to make people feel like crap. :lol:

Respect & honor is due to bit-tech yes, definitely but it is also due to your fellow nominees, remember that & everyone will get along, forget that & people won't get along too well unless they are triple A, absolutely amazingly awesome. :D

And judges :jawdrop: you have a steep task there narrowing down to 3, I couldn't do it, was hard enough picking 5. :lol:

And cut the hating of others out peeeerleeeeeease, cut it out of everywhere, not just in the open or PM or facebook, modding needs to have a fun, nice & awesome environment to be awesome otherwise too many suffer from having a screw face, can't mod good with a screw face. :D:rock:

Not only that but that's how modding communities crumble & I don't think any of us want that do we.

Big weird group hug with some awkward looking faces. :lol:

Tags: Add Tags