1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Rant

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Anyone can do their own thing but I do see a lot of bad mods, very few impress me and it isn't always the watercooled MDPC mods.

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I see all good points in these comments. I am coming back to B-T after an absense and playing catchup with the mods. There is indeed a need for modders(maybe us and some of the older hands) to reintroduce the idea of NOT building a clone of a Million Dollar PC mod.

I still have miniITX boards and even 2 picoITX computers to use in mods. I am doing one now with a full size ATX because I never owned one.

There is still room on B-T for some out of the box thinking. Look at Atilla.

Skip - bring it here.
    Mankz - build for us and we will comment
    Welcome back Christine

john

3. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Thanks, John!

Skip and Mankz, please do continue. It's one thing to have expensive kit in a mod, but what really makes a mod stand out for me is craftsmanship. Also, when presented with a "problem" some modders come up with ingenious solutions and some ideas are downright clever. Those are the things that excite me. I may not be able to live up to that myself, but I'll give it a go.

The beauty of modding is the individuality and the sky is the limit as far as materials which can be used. Perhaps it is time for more people to "think outside the box."

4. Attila

Attila still thinking....

@ Skip & Kayin. I can understand that you guys may not be happy with the attention your work may generate. I primarily put project logs up here as a record of what I've done. But over the years I've been fortunate to get a fair bit attention for my work. So if for some reason interest in a project dropped off, I can't say that I wouldn't care about that. But I'd still post up project logs. If you really are having fun with what you are doing, then it shouldn't matter too much. As long as some people are checking out your work. I always follow you guys though I may not often comment.

It's plain wrong to say that 'only' works of a certain ilk get all the attention, Watercooled, MDPC like, gaming PC, latest hardware, well almost anything you care to name. Works of all sorts gain much attention and build large followings. In fact people here generally love to see things that are different and 'left of centre'. Have a look at Gnu's build, I think it's called 'get a life'. This is a small, air cooled HTPC and it doesn't even have a graphics card so it's not even a 'gaming' build. A guy built a case that looked like something from the Inca empire and had a good reception as well. Achrons beautiful, and very 'different' project called Acronym, how different do want to get. One thing you will notice is that quality is very important to how your work will be received. That includes quality of concept and design as well as build quality. If you're making parts that are shabby and don't fit properly, then attention to your build will drop off rapidly (No, I'm not talking about you guys).

So if you guys stop posting here I will be very disappointed. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll look around and find you where ever you pop up. ;)

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Archived

Last edited: 9 Apr 2012
  6. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I very rarely notice/care about the hardware... Only when it's something interesting, like someone making a custom water block, modding the actual hardware, or something like that do I really pay attention to the hardware... I don't think to myself "this mod is good because they have 12 GPUs and 6 CPUs with tons of RAM". I can't afford to get thousands of dollars worth of hardware, nor do I get any sponsorship (and frankly don't really care to) so my hardware will likely be underwhelming for many people. I enjoy the craftsmanship and processes involved in modding and scratch builds.

I also view every single log as they pop up as having new posts as well ... maybe it's OCD for not wanting colored bars :lol:

Last edited: 9 Apr 2012
  7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm not leaving Bit, my hands are too damaged to work on another PC after this one. I just have to accept that I'm sick. It's not an easy thing to admit, but when I get up and take a handful of pills, and to even get to sleep I take a handful of pills, and they do stuff like slow my heart down and keep my ulcers from perforating my stomach I'm forced to admit I'm no longer in as good a shape as I was even five years ago.

I intend to stick around and pass on what I know. I'm not quitting cause I'm mad (far from it, this PC is loads of fun even if nobody commented) but because the nerve damage is simply too great to be able to cut a straight line for much longer. Views are nice, and comments are nicer, but in the end the reward is I get to keep this thing.

I have followed (and commented on) Get a Life, and Acronym as well, but I wonder if both builds wouldn't have done better a few years ago. One does wonder about the state of things when you roll out fully bulletproof sides (as well as taking the time and money to track down the real deal plates and Kevlar) and it's met with "meh." But, I'm doing this build for me, not for them. And at the end of the day, I'm fulfilling my design goals. I'm bringing as much of KITT as possible to life. If people don't think that's cool, oh well. Maybe they'll like my wife's upcoming build.

8. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

More modding less blah blah blah

9. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

Am I the next Atilla, L3P or Bill Owen? probably not. Do i want to be them, why not? who wouldn't want to be famous.
    But how did they get their fame? by working hard, posting project logs and sharing their visions and ideas.

Normally, if i was modding, I'd not bother writing stuff down, taking pictures. i'd just do it, make mistakes or bad choices and in the end, wonder if i could have done things differently. Joining Bit-tech, I've learned the value of logging. it's a good way of slowing yourself down and checking your work, reducing the number of mistakes made. re-reading a project log, you can remind yourself on how far you've gone, reminding yourself on what's left to be done. searching out other people's logs helps solve problems you may be experiencing with your mod.

The main thing about the logs, are the readers. the feedback. the 2nd opinion that may highlight a design flaw, or commend you on a well thought out solution to a problem. They are the morale boost that keeps me going.
    Anybody that posts in a log of mine, i check their sig to see if they have any projects of their own linked. even if it's something out of the scope of what i'm working on, it's inspiration.

However, the lack of comments always bother me. it'd bother anyone really. posting a big update to your log, only to be met with silence. sure, if you pay attention, the total views will go up. but the lack of actual feedback casts doubts in my mind, always.
    "am i doing a good job?"
    "Is this no longer interesting to anyone?"
    "is it not 'extreme modication' for people?"
    etc...
    I'd kill for even a post of 'Meh' on my log, at least it gives me an option to change thinking, try something else.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Lets not forget guys, that this is still the best forum for PC modding I've found on the net!

11. DarthBeavis

I want to be famous like them :dremel:

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Great sense of humor that Darth guy has.

Crack me up.

13. DarthBeavis

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Congratulations!

15. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

16. DarthBeavis

cable management for leak testing before you deploy to the case?