1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Rant

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I agree very much with this. Actually already back in 2005 I named my case project "NAAC" or Not Another Aluminum Case, as everything else appeared to be Lian-Li with the same Aqua tuning reservoir, radiator on the roof, the works.

There's nothing wrong with it, but yeah I too do find it boring. Ofcourse I appreciate the people who make these cases, and bet they like what they've created, and also the fact that it's damn hard to come up with something really new, but for me personally case modding just seems crazy stale.

Now I'll go back and try to read through the whole thread...

Another good point there. Then again I remember how years ago I asked someone of 10 virtually identical pictures of the same off the shelf block were a bit excessive and not only the OP, but also some other people called me jealous and told me to make a better log myself or whatnot. Turns out some people really like it like that, and I learned I'm not the one to tell how logs should be like...

Overall keeping a good project log is an absolute mine field, but a good one really does add to the whole project. Plenty of good photos with descriptions, not just a gallery and not just walls of text with no or a couple of rubbish shots.

Kinda on the subject (again ofcourse IN MY OPINION (I'm sure someone's still gonna ask who am I to tell other people what to do)) it seems to matter wayyyy too much what kind of hardware is used in the project/case/setup. To me it's just stuff that fits inside the project, not an actual part of it. I really don't give a dang if it's a $100 Atom-setup, or a $5k pile of sponsored hardware inside the case.

EDIT3: With all that said, this is one of the few places where I even bother following (case) modding, and definitely the best. Some of the points are just sheer bitching, but then again, it's 3 AM again, so my verbal output isn't really the best either. Peace and good night.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'll not ask "who are you". we been here through several incarnations of B-T. I agree. Only photos only logs I give stars to or feedback whether followed or not is Filimon.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah well.. To me it doesn't really matter who he/she is, everyone are project log readers and members of the community.

Also with my project history including a Compaq server case with a mini fridge and a motorized web cam, I don't consider myself hypocrite for talking about originality :lol:

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice pile of interesting facts Attila, it's really marvelous what you do mate :thumb:, there are plenty of excellent modders to aspire to get nearly as good as & you are 1 of them :D.

Alu sheet varies massively in cost in UK, sure it does everywhere, just a matter of finding the cheapest :D, so far I've found ebay to be an ok source for cheaper than my last supplier.

:) Kojak's post @ #18

Totally agree mate :thumb:.

No need for sub forums, they just create elitist nonsense which splits a community, we already have tags for mods or scratch, it'd be nice to see 5 different tags (maybe more for SFF) imo to indicate what form of creation we'd see when clicking on a log but I suppose it's nit picking really :lol:.

Mod Hybrid
    Mod DIY
    Mod Basic
    Scratch Hybrid
    Scratch DIY

Simples :D.

Mod Hybrid Would cover a good mix of advanced machines & DIY

Mod DIY 1 man modding army of hand tools/power tools & manual lathe/mill basically all the stuff that requires hands on operation :D.

Mod Basic would cover ready made parts to put on a case to change the look without any hard modding.

And the same for the scratch builds except there is no such thing as a basic scratch build :D.

But then again theres the mini PC's so another 2 tags for such lol.

Once I get Stealthlow complete I really want to do my first forum displayed case mod with an ultra low budget, I don't fully buy the idea of £0 mods unless you went to a rubbish dump & picked out certain bits wombles or scrap heap challenge style :D, so no I'll be realistic & set myself a really low budget when I have a go at such a mod :), think it's a challenge mod every modder should have a try at during their modding hobby, I've seen some awesome sparks of awesomeness come from such mods :D.

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I agree im sick of the same TJ07 with powdercoating and sleeving i want something different if you're doing that there was the spurt of people thinking "Hey powdercoating white is unique" then everyone done it...

Im still waiting for the guy who takes a TJ07 and really industrializes it thick machine screws and diamond plate, matte black etc none of this fancy exotic car stuff :p

People like AnG3L are the ones making cases with more than just a fancy paint job putting visual details that nobody has done yet!

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

An angry mad max type mod lol sounds good :D. I just haven't invested any time into finishing processes yet, been busy building up my fabrication skill/knowledge, the day should come though that I start getting some nice effects put into my mods so I can do a complete package, until that day though it's either spray cans or amateur air brushing or anodising :thumb:.

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

@ Wanyio Define ultra low budget, is that just the case or the whole thing including hardware.

8. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I think thee are more new things to come from people.

I think its very easy to go over the top, and whilst you end up with some very nice skills from people, the clean look is lost and can end up looking a bit too much like a kids paintbox.

If i was better with rendering software, i could prob come up with some more arty farty ideas without going over the top, perhaps next holiday i will have a play with something else.

I like to start by deciding whats within my capabilities to make also, no point designing something in software that is amazing and not actually being able to build it.

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Just the case :D. If was looking to fill it with parts it would have to be all yesteryears gear from previous builds.

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Might not be ultra low budget, but Heat Blast was done for about £70, all in the whole lot was probably just under £300.

I've got an old thing laying about, which I got for nothing . With whats laying about I reckon I could do a £000 mod, call it £30 with paint. Thats including hard ware..lol

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

£70 is great for what you done with that Jeff :thumb:, thing I like about the idea of a low budget type mod is it forces you to get as creative as possible to make it cool :hip::dremel:.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Mmm, apart from paint, RV3N has been done from nothing. When you can't buy the parts for your mod, sometimes it can be fun to see whats laying around in the garage and see what you can do with it, budget art!:dremel::hip:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

True :D I've got an ever growing pile of scrap aluminium since starting scratch building, could probably make an ok case from it all at some point :thumb:.

14. KidMod-Southpaw

Mmm, I don't have any incoming wage and to make the add on cable routing tray for RV3N, used the 30 year old welder in my Grandpa's garage. Works fine. Basically, true modding can be a beautiful scratch built case like AnG3L's. Or in spirit of true art, take a pile of crap, and make something nice out of it.

15. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Its not just a phrase for ugly people!!!!

There are so many factors that go into each and every build on here, skill, time, money, vision, personal interests.....

I have alot of interests in my life and I've seen a lot of different cultures, and no this isnt the best-
    (you know you should really venture outside your bedroom there is a whole world out here :D)
    -but its close. A place where were all interested in the same sort of thing

If you look at music some say there is nothing original written since 12 bar blues, but how boring would it be if we had stopped way back then.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

Good point, and yes I'm outside plenty. Forgive me for waiting to have knee surgery:blush:

17. shazza

shazza What's a Dremel?

Whoa, just catching up on this thread. I admit, it pains me to see Mankz take a shot at murderMod. I don't know of anyone with more passion for this whole concept of "modding" than Charles (and yes, he is a personal friend).

I absolutely understand the lack of interest for one TJ-07 build after another ... doesn't offer much new to the community. But then, to the creator, it may be the first time they've ever done anything approaching "modding." It's brought them to the hobby ... dunno why that's a bad thing.

And, I can see where not everyone is going to be into the "MDPC" thing. That's cool ... but I give kudos to the concept and for bringing modding to the attention of many people. I love the systems on MDPC, I love the bling DarthBeavis brings, I love the "look" of a Bill Owen build. And then, there is the fantastic creativity and execution shown by Attila, Boddaker, Voigts, Cheapskate, and many others.

(and yes, I'm one who doesn't post my builds on bit-tech, cause it's just more sleeving and hooking up components - but I love to see much of the original work I see here!)

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have managed to stay out of this so far (I think). But I will jump in now just to echo the opinion of a few others and to add my own thoughts.

I get why people get sick of the same stuff. But it happens with everything, it is just the current trend that will eventually pass until someone does something else new and interesting and everyone follows. I still enjoy TJ07 builds, I don't mind if its nearly a carbon copy of another build, it is the small changes and the human elements and small mistakes that set them apart and give even the most clinical of cases a bit of character. At the very least it will be some nice parts in a nice looking case.

I myself have been guilty of a sketchup that never got any further than my drawings, though I never started it as a log just throwing some ideas into the public domain.

If people want to share their build, no matter how boring or samey, they should. If you don't like it, don't look at it. I would rather look at a 100 terrible worklogs than miss out on 1 epic one.

I remember following Rogue from craigbru and everyone giving their opinions and craigbru trying things out and posting back. I even remember being interested in the progress of his basement. Those are the sort of work logs that we all long for. I hate to think that we could have missed out on a log such as this because craigbru thought people might not like his ideas.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Wuss. Show us. We are not bigots here. B-T is community brought together by mutual craziness.

mATX in wicker picnic basket? done that for grins. Come play with us.:D

john

20. shazza

shazza What's a Dremel?

lol ... yes, rightly or wrongly, I see bit-tech as a place for creative mods (aka the original "rant"). Some of you have seen my "stuff" on other forums. I am still very much in the learning process ... along the way, I've learned to put together a decent water cooled system ... learned to sleeve (a boring fad to some, but one of the first "modding" steps some of us take. I've learned to cut some holes in metal ... and even learned how to drill a hole (yes, for some of us, this is a major undertaking :) ):

- simply putting together components in a Mountain Mods case, and learning to sleeve ...
    [​IMG]

-more work on sleeving and cable management:
    [​IMG]

-and, my latest attempt - learning to paint and cut metal - still in progress:
    [​IMG]

So ... nothing terribly exciting. I've worked on my photography - largely because of what I've seen at MDPC. It's lots of fun for me, inspired by what I've seen all the rest of you do. We all have different skills and abilities - for some, copying a "TJ-07" build is quite an accomplishment. I don't mind looking at those. For others, a scratch build is second nature -- and I am always in awe when I see such talent.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011