1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Mouldy jam

Discussion in 'General' started by profqwerty, 4 Jun 2008.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

fresh eggs taste better. try to get rid of them as soon as possible. quiches, scrabled eggs, and omelettes are a great way of using them up.

2. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

whats the egg floating trick and does it work on duck eggs ?

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I want to know how you came to know something like this and how I can get to know stuff like this too - please do tell :)

OP, do your best not to die.

edit: And by the way, On Eggs (should be a novel title, that): Although everyone I know keeps them in the fridge, including my family despite my best efforts to educate them - from what I've read eggs last longer out of the fridge. Aparently when you stick them in the fridge something funny happens to the inner membrane, and the sods go off faster. Think about it, where d'you get your eggs from in the supermarket. Good luck convincing the rest of your household not to use the little built in egg holders in the fridge though...

Last edited: 5 Jun 2008
  4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you want to learn things like that, study microbiology. Reading Uni (where I did Microbiology) used to do a pathobiology course which was a course about the study of disease. Don't think they do it now, though (it's 20-odd years since I did my degree)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Read? :D

Some of this is just general knowledge. It also helps to know a bit about basic food hygiene.

I would always recommend subscribing to a popular general science mag, like New Scientist, Scientific American or Seed. It's amazing what you casually pick up there.

6. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

iirc it has something to do with the egg shells being slightly porus, a fridge is damp whereas a cupboard is nice and dry and so your eggs will actually last longer out of a fridge. As far as the spinny trick and the floaty test I think its b when an egg goes bad (has something to do with the moisture absorbed) the white begins to solidify/go manky. The increase in density makes the egg sink, and as it is no longer runny when you tap the spinning egg the middle stops rotating with the shell. In a good egg the middle keeps spinning and starts the shell turning again when you let go.

Chickens don't lay eggs with dates on so who gets to decide when they go off anyway?

@ the OP - you feeling better yet dude? and please tell me you've binned the jam. :eyebrow:

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I would, except they bore me and I hate reading them. Plus reading about earth shattering technology in New Scientist which is going to revolutionise my life/energy supply/penis/whatever which never, ever appears really irritates me. Quite like Scientific American Mind, but that's too rich for this Scot's blood so it is. And of course, I do read. I've just never really read into the sorts of toxins that mouldy jam grows...not sure there's a wikipedia page on that :duh:

8. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

I eat bread after i've picked mouldy bits off, makes my farts smell like drugs/penicillin. just thought i'd share that.

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

second penis post of today?

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

First actually, I'm in an offensive mood I suppose.

11. identikit

identikit Minimodder

IIRC there is a small air bubble in the egg, if you put the egg in a glass of water how high it floats suggests how much air is inside and how fresh it is...

12. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Yep I'm still alive :p

Got to drive to sheffield tomorrow though :s

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Ah, Sheffield, home of mouldy jam. Maybe.

Well, it could be.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Slacker. :p

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

There are two. It's just the one he referred to as the second was in fact the first - and I like to point out the sloppyness in the work of people like that, since it's a tad irritating. So if I can trip them up on not having bothered to check timestamps, then excellent :D

16. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Really glad I've not used the floating test then, I'd have binned many an egg.

And farts smelling of penicillin? You're not supposed to eat the furry bits on the bread....

17. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

One of the funnier things I've heard in a while.

Tags: