1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New beta bigadv coming soon needs 12 cores

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by WallaceB, 1 Jun 2011.

1. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I've not seen one yet but would imagine the normal -bigbeta flag would work fine.

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

"This is very similar to 6903 but will run a little slower." Slower ? :jawdrop:

3. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

Is all this Linux stuff basically gonna setup Linux env within Win7 or as an alternative OS? I would prefer former as I have other Windows progs I need to run

4. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

You can run Linux as a virtual machine within Windows with VirtualBox - install the app, create VM, attach the Linux ISO of your choice, boot, install and fold :)

Edit: Guide here (only difference is you choose 64bit Ubuntu in the O/S dropdown).

Last edited: 20 Jun 2011
  5. standinwave

Thanks, will give it a "reet go"

6. CraigWatson

Cool cool :)

Bear in mind that VMs won't perform exactly as quick as a native machine, as you have the overhead of your host OS' CPU/RAM to contend with as well as your VM's, but you should get 90-95% of the PPD.

7. Christopher N. Lew

Would a dual-boot machine suit your way of working?

8. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

[HINT] Don't forget to assign a minimum of 12 cores within Virtualbox, otherwise you'll only ever be doing single core projects [/HINT]

The number of cores is set in the Virtualbox Application, then hit Settings on the toolbar.

Navigate to the System submenu in the left pane and follow to the processor tab....

The maximum number you can assign is represented by the green bar....

standinwave likes this.
  9. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Wow.... that much! That's pretty efficient by my book... Now my machine's build I'm definitely switching over to VM rather than physical folding...

10. standinwave

I don't fully follow, please explain for Linux noob!

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

dual boot: when your pc starts up you're give a choice: boot into linux *or* windows, to move from one to the other you have to restart your pc.

12. Christopher N. Lew

A dual-boot machine has two OS installed (on different partitions), and the user chooses which one to run when the machine boots up. So you can have Windows as one OS, with all your usual applications, and Linux as the other OS, set up for folding. The downside is that you can't run both OS and their applications at the same time, so folding on Linux in the background whilst using Windows apps, is not possible.

RedFlames beat me to it!

13. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

The base points are around 25% higher, remains to be since if it runs 25% slower.

14. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

OK guys, I need some help here - I've just spent 2 days trying to get this Ubuntu thing working and I need some pointers. :waah:

I won't go into the whole sordid business but I've now got to a point where Ubuntu 10.10 (64 bit) is installed and fah6 will run. Unfortunately it got to 30% of a 6901 and bombed with insufficient disk space to write the checkpoint file to, and I was only checkpointing every 30 minutes!
    I tried running the Janitor utility but that only reclaimed 400Mb.
    I'm guessing there are still lots of install files left dotted around the disc?

I set up Ubuntu in a 20Gb partition, with a 12Gb swap file as I have 6Gb ram, thinking that would be plenty (the OS only seems to take up a few Gb).

Also, I can't seem to free up any space even though the software is no longer running (I don't really understand how to find where all the big files are - I have tried looking but am a Linux noob so it's an uphill struggle).

I would really prefer to run the v7 client anyway, so I can monitor it seamlessly from my workhorse WinXP machine.

So, should I try to fix what I've already got running or repartition the drive and start again (again) ?

If I repartition, how big do I need to make it to allow fah to complete a WU and download the next one ?

T.I.A.

Dave.

15. CraigWatson

If you're not using the Linux install for anything other than folding, you can remove most of the apps that Ubuntu ships with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove banshee rhythmbox transmission openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-impress gnome-games brasero firefox
    You may need to substitute "libreoffice" for "openoffice.org" as I'm not sure which Ubuntu ships with. Most Linux installs very rarely even use the swap (only when they run out of physical RAM) so 4GB of swap is plenty (there's many rules-of-thumb but this is my opinion).

For future folding installs, you may be best using the Ubuntu Server edition, which doesn't ship with a GUI at all. You'll need to be confident with the command-line but it should be pretty easy - Ubuntu should be able to fold out of the box :)

16. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

HI Dave

someone will need to elaborate on this for me, but it sounds like Ubuntu has only been allocated a small partition if any. Try making the partition its on larger.

-bigadv files can be large but i would say no more than 5GB should be plenty.

If you still have no luck i have a friend who only see's the world in Linux code, so i could ask him for some advice for you?

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

is that 12G swap in addition to, or part of the 20G partition?, if it's part of the 20G, you're only leaving yourself 8G for *buntu and f@h

Personally i'd remove extraneous features, such as Libreoffice, and possibly reduce the amount of swap space [12G is overkill]

ninja'd, by two others... must type faster...

18. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

HAHA my kung-fu is strong!! :D

19. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

Thanks guys, I think that confirms what I thought - repartition is the way to go.
    I'll get there, slow but sure.

The 12Gb swap file is separate from the 20Gb system partition but I was hoping to use the machine for more than just folding so don't really want to dump any of the system software to make more room.

The reason for only giving it 32Gb is that this is on a 120Gb SSD that mostly contains Win 7.
    I have other normal hard drives in the machine so will partion off a 200Gb chunk and put Ubuntu on there, leaving the swap drive on the SSD.

Anyways, something for the weekend I think.
    I'm crunching a 6900 in Win 7 now so will have to wait until it finishes. :)

Regards.

Dave.

20. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

I have a 60Gb partition with Ubuntu 10.10 running -bigadv (2684 at the moment).

I have 4Gb physical ram and it's currently using 1.4Gb

Out of the 60Gb partition it has only used 12.4Gb.

It is a complete installation and is kept up to date.

I have a 2Gb swap file which is never used.

I tend only to fold on that machine with some light internet use.

If you are just intending to fold on your Linux partition a similar set up should work for you too.