1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Nikon D800 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by LennyRhys, 8 Feb 2012.

1. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I don't think it's off topic and I'll tell you why.

I saw the same rumors and if the 5D MIII just brings the focusing close to the D700 for the price they are quoting (around $3500) then Nikon will find out just how bad people have been waiting for an updated version of the D700 when they see Canon sell the sh*t out of the MkIII's. Because all Nikon shooters will have choice-wise is either the D4 or jumping to the 5d MkIII for almost half the price.

I've been tempted to jump to the 5d MkII on many occasions and the only thing stopping me is I think the current focusing system would kill my music photography full stop.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I was meaning mainstream dSLR bodies, which the NEX-7 is not. If you think the NEX-7 has a high res APS-C sensor, how about the 46mp Sigma SD1 which is actually a dSLR... but again it's not really a mainstream dSLR with its ludicrous £4K price tag, and 46mp on an APS-C is admittedly rather silly.

I find it interesting that Nikon's latest and greatest offering, the D4, follows in the footsteps of Canon's 1Ds Mark II with a 16mp full frame sensor, seven years later. It's clearly not about the resolution any more.

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Much like every other market its swings and roundabouts, I just hope canon follow through with the rumours it'll bring back some balance I know quite a few people jump ship just because they had issues with the focusing on the 5DII, I have had no real problems with it I wouldn't say I'm loyal to Canon but I don't like chopping and changing its just something new to figure out and learn how to use, the 5DIII though if all is true it will be a case of how quickly can I get one 5DII with a 1D focusing system that is a dream come true :).

Resolution is a requirement of a very small percentage of photography work, pro Fashion,beauty and commercial photographers eat up resolution it gives you lots of control when editing as you have so much more detail to play with & you have the ability to print as big as you like which again is not always required but when your shooting a still for a advert that is then to be put on a billboard you will not see anyone shooting with a 1DSIII it hasn't got the res.

I think personally the current breed of cameras D4 / 1DX are sticking with 18-20mp is that for most people or say a large chunk of pros that is plenty, you can get a decent print size out of that with plenty of resolution to play with in Post.

As for the NEX-7 I think that is aimed at the higher class of photographers much like the Fuji x100 etc.. your average joe is not going to be buying one, mainstream dSLRs wont see 20+mp sesnors at least I hope they wont they've made a smart move to keep them low you still retain decent quality from a less dens pixel count you also have far easier time editing a smaller file the average joe wont like messing around with a 25-30mb file, I took 38GB of images in a shoot yesterday I am having a hard time dealing with that lol.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've been thinking about this, and why your reply nagged at me, and then I realised. Most of the people I know who shot the 5d mkII with video, actually use old manual Nikon lenses anyway, so a body switch from canon to Nikon won't actually bother them at all... In fact, it's a bonus.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This is what bugged me when I downgraded my 1Ds2 - you can use Nikon glass on a Canon body, but not the other way round. :wallbash:

Who knows, maybe I'll go back to the Nikon camp when I tie off the last few loose ends of my work - I might sell both my 5D and 7D and get a D7000 and just be done with it. :D

6. Pookeyhead

But for video work why would you want to? Manual nikkors are highly sought after for vieo work now. Linear focusing... Essential quality on a video lens.

For still work.... I don't see why you'd want to lose any functionality to use L series canon lenses. There not really any better you know. Seems like a lot of trouble for nothing.

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Spot on. And when I do grab something manual- it's usually Carl Zeiss not Canon L. If I'm going to go "that" way, I might as well go for better glass.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I wouldn't want to - that's precisely the point: if I have only Canon lenses, and expensive ones at that, it would be a good shortcut simply to bung them on a Nikon body. Of course if I'm starting from scratch or going for the best solution, I'll get Nikon glass for a Nikon body etc; but my problem was having enough money only for a body, not for new glass, so I had to get a 7D because it's the only camera my lenses would function with.

But I've already started to sell off my Canon lenses (no Ls left now, only Sigmas) so the future is very uncertain!

9. Pookeyhead

D800 noise levels seem well controlled.

ISO 3200

10. Pookeyhead

I was at Focus on Imaging today. NO ONE would even entertain doing a "deal" on a D800. Everyone is at £2395. Looks like Nikon has given orders to retailers that the launch price is fixed.

I'll hold off a while and wait for prices to stabilise and competition to happen.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

To be honest, £2.4K aint half bad. If I was in the market for a new body and I had the dough, I'd part with that in a heartbeat. It's a lot better than the £3K bounty on Canon's 5D3... upping the stakes to that figure, I'd sooner buy a 1 series body.

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Heh, just because the nutters at canon think they can charge 3k for a body, doesn't mean 2.4k is a fair price. Not when the previous model costs £1800, ok, it didn't start off at that price but still.

13. Pookeyhead

It's just that I know they're cashing in on people who've been waiting a long time for this camera. In a couple of months, you'll be able to get one for £200 less I reckon.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It happened with the 5D2 as well, the price stuck at £2500 for a long long time, no retailer would budge and they all (funnily enough) had the same price. Eventually, something switched and the price began to fall.

D800 will be the same. Price for the early adopters will be high, and basically RRP. It'll be at least 6 months before there is a meaningful drop.

I'd also agree that £2.4k is more reasonable than Canon's £3k. That's my biggest problem with the 5D3.

15. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

This is not directly addressed at Eddie's link, but it's a thought that just occurred to me - a common theme in posts that bash 'gearfaggotry' is the idea that you can make good shots with ancient body/lens combinations. This holds true only in studio situations with controlled lighting. I'd like to see $600 in gear get the same shots as, say, $10,000 at a football match or a motorcar race.

It's like that iPhone fashion shoot where the guy used a $500 phone and about ten grand in lighting.

Horses for courses. If someone tells me a D30 is as good as a 5D2 in natural light, I'll dismiss them out of hand as a flaming moron.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

QFT. It's a type of snobbery that I've encountered often. There is a balance between the gear and the skill of the photographer; no photographer, regardless how skilled they are, can produce a 21 megapixel image with a 3 megapixel camera. :hehe:

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

LOL, saw it for 2100 at amazon. Placed an order, then cancelled it on the basis that it doesn't really have what I wanted, namely, better iso, similar MP, then I changed my mind, and it's back up at 2400. That's life eh.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You're changing the argument. a 21 megapixel image isn't simply better than a 3 megapixel image by virtue of the megapixel count alone. The argument could be turned around: A crap photograph taken with a 3 megapixel camera is still a crap photograph when taken with a 21 megapixel camera.

In my opinion, I think people get far too obsessed about the little details in gear comparisons. A good photographer knows how to use light, and a great photographer knows how to adapt to any lighting situation. The gear is secondary - in my opinion anyway. But then, I still use my kit lens so perhaps my opinion isn't worth much in the first place.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

While this is true in some cases, again, I'd like to see how anyone can argue that one could have had these shots with older gear (I was using a $700 50D, $400 50mm f/1.4).

[​IMG]
    Ferrari California by angad84, on Flickr
    (ISO 1000, f/1.8, 1/30s)

[​IMG]
    Porsche Carrera S by angad84, on Flickr
    (ISO 1600, f/1.4, 1/60s)

[​IMG]
    Ess Ell Ess (Explored) by angad84, on Flickr
    (ISO 1600, f/1.8, 1/40s)

[​IMG]
    Mean Glare by angad84, on Flickr
    (ISO 1600, f/1.8, 1/40s)

Now they're not the greatest shots in the universe, but I was saved by the ISO performance of the body and the fast lens. Had I been cruising with a 450D kit, for instance, I'd have been sunk. Had I used the 50D's predecessor (A 20D? A D30?) with the same 50mm lens, I'd have been equally screwed. The extra MP count on the 50D reduces 'apparent' noise when I print smaller sizes- these shots were used on a desktop calendar ten inches on the long side.