1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Nikon D800 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by LennyRhys, 8 Feb 2012.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Wasn't an official price cut just 1 shops :O, but It is surprising how Nikon have priced the D800 so low compared to Canon, I think Canon are really hoping that there current 5D fan base will upgrade despite the high cost but when you take into account the large percentage of videographers that own the 5D and have invested in glass they are taking a very cheeky punt.

I wont be upgrading till my 5DII dies and I hope the 3 goes down in price or I might well jump ship to cheaper pastures :).

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

It most likely will go down in price tbh.

I'm not sure who else is going to do the same price cut the moment considering amazon have increased and then decreased the D800 price numerous times rather than just keep it at a certain level. Are they trying to induce some sort of buying frenzy?

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I wanted a D4 in a D700 body, not a D3x in a D700 body. I suppose I mainly wanted the high iso just to have cleaner shots, but if the D800 produces cleaner images, i,e maintains colours, and detail, even if I have to lower the res, at the same iso settings, compared to D700 I'll be happy.

I guess the only reason I'm ordering this one is because I haven't heard anything about the possibillity of just that, a mini D4, so until I do. Hell if I like it enough, and have spare cash lying around, I may even sell the D700 so I have a D800S? and D800 although that's unlikely as I think the D800 will be the last pro body I can get my hands on for some time.

3. Lewis*b

Lewis*b What's a Dremel?

ah a d800 thread! just what i was looking for :D

Looking to buy one in the future, do people see it going down in the future?

bought my d7000 when it first came out then couple months later there was £300 drop on it, so was pretty gutted.

would anyone recommend buying from america? as im from the uk and it works at about £300 cheaper,
    would there be any problems?

sorry if my questions are nooby! just looking for some answers :)

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

No, firstly, under new rules, you'll have a hard time finding an etailer who will ship it outside the US. Secondly, if you buy it in the UK, you get a two year warranty.

It's much cheaper in the states for sure, but you may end up paying import tax anyway, and I've heard you don't get any warranty.

I've ordered mine from amazon uk, and I'm in Greece (saw it on offer at £2100) and I'll only get one year warranty not two (as the two year warranty is offered if you buy it in the country you live in). I'm only saving around £50 by buying it from the UK, not Greece, but I have a feeling I'll be on a shorter waiting list, and I've had bad experiences with the 'Nikon' people here.

If you keep an eye on amazon uk it might pop up at £2100 again. I've seen it do that twice in the last week or so, only for a few hours or so, but you might have a chance.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Don't buy from the US - as soon as it gets into the UK you will have to pay import duty before you can get your hands on it. The only way you could foreseeably get it from the US without having to "import" it back into the UK would be to go over there, buy it yourself, and bring it back as luggage. :)

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Yeah I saw that the other day. I must say I do feel rather smug about ordering mine for £2150..

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hopefully they'll honour that price....

I just think it's a dick move by Nikon - they've seen that Canon have priced the 5D3 higher, which means they too can get away with a higher price. The D4 is now also a silly price as well.

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Oh they will, I've heard a few stories from buyers from Calumet, and my price in my order hasn't changed so I'm sure all is good. Nikon also released a statement re this and that orders already taken will carry the old price. Yeah the D4 price is a bit of a joke tbh. I wonder if people had know the specs of the D4 and RRP if they would have gone out and got new D3s' before they got discontinued. Granted you can still get D3s in Greece so who knows.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Most I've ever spent on a camera body is £1,100 (1Ds Mark II) and that will never change, despite how nice the Nikon D800 and Canon 5D3 look.

I think the prices are pretty atrocious, especially considering the state of the economy.

11. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

True but there will always be a demand. Some might balk at spending £1200 on three GTX 680's, others at spending this much on a camera. It's all relative.

12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

New rumors are arising of a proper compromise. The D600 is rumored to be a 24mp full frame replacement for the 700. I can live with that. It allegedly does not include a focusing motor (the only reason why I can think they did this is to sell the newer primes they are coming out with) which is not good for me since one of my favorite lenses right now is my 35-70 Nikon lens but if the specs and the price is accurate, this maybe my next camera body.

13. Vers

Vers ...

Many Nikon shooters are hoping for a lower res FF body, and a 24mp D600 may certainly answer many prayers, assuming it's spec'd well in other areas, too, which should be a given based on their current body lineup. Still, the fact that Nikon hasn't offered sRaw and or mRaw, specifically in a 36mp body, has me absolutely baffled.

14. eddie_dane

I will buy this if rumors can be true. I agree that Nikon seems to count on people just buying more memory. If I got a camera with 36mp resolution, I would have to consider shooting JPG for the first time in a long while.

15. eddie_dane

A quick update to the rumor mill, the new D600 is now expected to have an internal focusing motor but not built in GPS (big deal). This is a pretty automatic purchase for me if the rumors can be believed. I was interested in it without the motor but I just wasn't happy having to replace two of my favorite lenses.

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I cancelled my amazon D800 order. Decided that the D700 does plenty good enough for my needs, and that money would be better spent on the D600 if it's got the same dynamic range as the D800, or on a holiday somewhere.

Oh btw, Nikon rumours updated their d600 post to mention that it will have a built in motor.

17. eddie_dane

Hence, my update...:worried:

I bet Nikon is betting this will cut into 5D mk III sales but I'm wondering if they realize how much it will cut into D800 sales. Not that I care, I just need the tool for the job.

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Scuse, didn't read the entire thread/skim read.