1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia SLI crashing. - Finally Fixed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 15 May 2012.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Good luck :thumb: I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find the issue :D

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

That's good news. Does he have a SLI capable rig? If so, then you can rule out any GPU-related problems. Don't forget to test with his PSU too!

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah, his rig is SLI capable and on a test bench at the minute so easy access. (Gleemed from earlier in the thread, I'm not some sort of stalker weirdo :worried:

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Well I've just torn the system down (Again.) and reseated the CPU, dusted out the second PCI-e socket and i'm trying the cards the other way around to the way I usually run them, so lets see how this works out.

Edit; Of course, this is the first boot, so i'm not sure if it's going to stay like this. I can hope!

Last edited: 21 May 2012
  5. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Noiz you love being my stalker bitch

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  6. .//TuNdRa

Okay. I've restarted and it hasn't all gone to hell, I'll give it a good burn in with Furmark and Uniengine heaven before I assume anything, though.

Edit, Okay, After four minutes of solid furmark; temps on both cards stabilised at 67 degrees. (Although with different fan speeds. Perhaps different fans internally?)

No crashes or stuttering, beyond the fact it was only running at 14-15fps in furmark.

Okay, just burnt through heaven, Min FPS of 10, max of 91 odd, score of 1140~ ish. (Avedesk screwed up the screenshot, so I lost it.), no crashes, although the occasional flash, might be the 301 drivers. I'll give it a good gaming session throughout the day and see if it's still stable.

Might not need you, Jiz, sorry for getting you all setup if I don't!

So it does appear to be suddenly stable. I'll test it some more, but I'm still in fear of restarting again, just in case the magic that's suddenly making this thing work breaks.

Last edited: 21 May 2012
  7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Hope it's still OK ?

So - what are you putting it down to ? - dust in the PCIe 2 slot ? Bad / poor connection for the 2nd card ?

Maddening isn't it ? when there's an issue, but you just can't pin down the culprit.

8. .//TuNdRa

Might've been dust, or the CPU decided not to be mounted properly (All pins were perfectly fine, still remounted it and the archon, used a little more pressure this time, too.), but either way; it's still working at the moment.

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Happy day :)

10. .//TuNdRa

Indeed. It survived a system restart, too. So it looks like it's all okay. Might still drag Jizwizard over to commandeer his 570 SLI and see how it compares to the 550s, but that'll likely just make me jealous of that much GPU power.

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Buy them off me then :D I can still pop over if you want to piss about with the cards, I'll also bring a 670 to the party as well. Still waiting for the other to come from evga

12. .//TuNdRa

Don't worry about it, mate. It's all sorted now, I may as well not haul you over here to the back end of nowhere just to satisfy my curiosity.

Cheers for the offer, though!

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Damn thought I might be able to have a night without the wench

14. .//TuNdRa

I sincerely hope she doesn't read this forum, I'd have to share around rep before I can rep you again, though.

15. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

I'm gonna have to go down the private shop after work and get her an 18inch black rib tickler to beat her with now. Its your fault tundra if she gets hurt now

kenco_uk likes this.
  16. .//TuNdRa

... I totally shouldn't've gotten that reference. Still; Have fun with that! I refuse to be held accountable!

17. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

If you still have issues, I'm happy to help out with parts/troubleshooting.

Can't be too far from me.

Fingers crossed it is all sorted now though.

18. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

At the end of the day Tundra, what's your impression of SLI with 550's? Is it worth it?

What kind of improvements do you see with your SLI setup? I'm not interested in numbers, but the feel mostly. Is it smoother? Can adding a second card make a game run from choppy/unplayable to something decently smooth? Do you have any microstuttering? Any other issues you've encountered? (apart from the one described in this thread)

I'm sitting on an older card with approximately the same speed as a 550Ti, have a SLI capable mobo and PSU. The current GPU is enough for the resolutions I play in (1280x960; 1600x1200) but when I'll go to 1080p I'm afraid the performance will simply not be enough. And at that point it would be a lot cheaper to find an older second hand card than to buy a new one. "Mid-range" has gone up in price since a few years ago, making it slightly expensive for me.

19. .//TuNdRa

It's a lot smoother, definitely, plus I can crank settings in some games and not have to worry about the impact. I do get microstutter in a few games, but it only seems to be when I enable Vsync, and often enough; I'm not going far enough over 60 to make vsync worth it. PLus I rarely see screen tearing anyway.

In other news; IT HAS FRIGGIN' BROKEN AGAIN. This makes no damn sense. I'm literally out of ideas. The absolute only thing I have noticed is that when the system does hang; GPU1 drops to desktop - Idle clocks (51,101,1000 mhz respectively.)

I'm starting to wonder if the second card being there is actually setting off issues with GPU1.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Chicken76 what card have you got at the moment? I went from a single GTX280 to SLI and apart from the monstrous power draw and heat I'm very impressed with the framerates.

Still tempted to sell both and put the cash towards a single 560/570 though, for the sake of my electricity bill...