1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Only buying British

Discussion in 'General' started by Snips, 15 Jan 2013.

1. walle

walle Minimodder

For instance, importing meat from halfway around the world makes no more sense than buying local meat. It has nothing to do with xenophobia, but more with common sense.

I am of the opinion that those who have a garden, or who own some land, should grew their own vegetables.

Also, buying produce which are not out of season would help.

I meant pistols / handguns. That you are not allowed to own semi-automatic and automatic rifles I know.

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Yes Walle, there are two parts to Ireland from your perspective. Northern Ireland (British) and Republic of Ireland which is not. The produce sold by Asda was from the Republic of Ireland hence not supporting the British economy or British Farmers.

Again, I'm not knocking the Irish. I've even bought the Irish offering and it was fine but I shouldn't have to be forced to.

Lysaer, you don't get Waitrose all over the country dude and the nearest to me is about 50 miles :(

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

How big is your garden? And how long do you think vegetables will keep? And how much time do you have to cultivate them? Growing your own produce is a wonderful hobby but its not a solution to any thing...

4. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Pistols are a big no-no, virtually no one is allowed them. When I trained with them in the Army they were secured far more than the rifles, and people were far more careful around them (may have been as the Browning is a death trap!)

Also, Its British, not English when it comes to laws like gun control!

5. steveo_mcg

Got bored and read to the end of the article. Not sure if this is serious and the guy is completely deluded or the writer and dude are having a little fun with dear reader!

6. walle

walle Minimodder

No, but It can serve as a complement, it's also healthier than the imported "stuff" and you also learn much from growing your own vegetables.

7. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

It's the little things, I'd bet that things like their lightbulbs are manufactured in another country and shipped here. If their electricity comes from a windfarm (for example) it'll most likely be a Siemens turbine so no power then.

8. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Rolls Royce nuclear reactors though :p

9. steveo_mcg

Its no healthier and unless you have a massive plot and the time to plan seasonal crops its really not a compliment. My dad has a fairly large allotment and manages to keep himself in vegetables for a few weeks at the end of the year, probably saves him £50 in carrots and tatties the time he spends in would easily cover that £50.

I get some nice strawberries every year, from my 3x3m space I get few kg which I have to share with the birds. They ripen at staggered intervals so often as not if the whole family wants some the crop is suplimented by shop bought ones and tbh I can't tell the difference. Offset this with last "summer" and the near constant rain meant I didn't see a single bloody berry and you soon realise growing your own produce is is a hobby.

10. walle

walle Minimodder

Well, I would argue that homegrown vegetables are healthier, unless ofcourse, you use pesticides.

11. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

If it is of the same quality and cheaper - then yes why not? But it's likely it will be older, with meat I could undertstand buying local, and I also agree with supporting local bussinesses such as butchers/pubs etc, but to only buy british products is backwards.

As you buy your british products with a £20 note, look at the back - it represents the division of labour in pin making - and think about wether paying someone twice as much makes econominc sense for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_of_labour

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

13. walle

walle Minimodder

The increase in toxicity and cancer flies in the face of what was suggested in the article. If you eat junk food and food which contains presticides, than over time (everything is scale, scale=time) it will result in healh problems.

It all piles up.

Guidelines and standards may suggest otherwise, fine.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

We're still expanding to different parts of the country, And with the amount of stores Morrisons are selling, which we then buy, it wont be long before one is closer to you.

Sam

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

My parents grow vegetables in the greenhouse and a smallish(3x6m) section of our garden. We are completely self sufficient with regards to herbs and moderately self sufficient with beans, tomatoes and several varieties of leafy greens. When they're in season they don't need to buy any of those from the grocers. We also have a couple of apple trees.

I think a decent semblance of self-sufficiency is only realistic outside of the city or if you dedicate your life to it(i.e. The Good Life).

walle likes this.
  16. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

At least they can get a new PC in the form of the raspberry pi (produced in the UK though it is made by sony) not sure they would be able to find a monitor to run it on though.

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I'm sure that sony vaio they were using was completely made in Britain...

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Within reason I like to buy local, as local as possible while still getting a fair price (not always the very lowest). Keeps the money you spend around where you live so it can continue to circulate in your community. Even between two US made options I like to go with ones from closer states.
    What, you doubt him? I'm sure he can make a perfectly good mobile phone. Who cares if it's as large as a 1950's dial phone and relies on spooling out cable as you go? A good strong lad can manage to carry it and with everything made at home you won't need to travel farther than your spool's length! :D

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Thank god you guys aren't in the EU...
    oh wait...
    Wasn't that a Toyota engine? (or was that the series 2?)

Not beeing able to get them unchecked in a supermarket and "not allowed" are not the same thing;)

From an ecologic standpoint (buy domestic) there wouldn't be a difference as they both have to be shipped of the same island :naughty:

20. bodkin

bodkin Overheating