1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress OPTERON PRIME - Supermicro 4P folding mayham - folding numbers

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

:)

Well the case is fine for the stock server. But that is not really my intention :D

----------------------

How about a random picture. Just for fun :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Aug 2013
  2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You're gonna make me pull my quad socket out and build something for it yet. I'm enjoying this so far.

3. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Still no modding... (says your good sir) you're wasting my time...
    this is only a long display of parts with some chit-chat (it's seems to me a sort of advertisement page without prices)
    I'm a newbie on this site but I think this is not fair
    :dremel::dremel::dremel::dremel::dremel::dremel::dremel::dremel:

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Tim is well aware of the log rules,there will no doubt be something posted very soon.

How is not fair? Sponsors need appeasing,this is common with build logs.

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

DO IT, DOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT :D

hahahaha I am wasting his time. By all means my good sir, don't ever come in this thread again and use your time very well. Bye! :lol:

@B-Neg; thank you for you faith. If he would have bothered to look at my other build he would know I don't build PC, I mod PCs. And I just posted a 3D drawing of a completely custom build around the existing server case. And a drawing of a custom waterblock for these motherboards. Just because I don't start with pictures of me cutting everything to pieces it doesn't mean I don't mod. I was not going to reply to Mr Italian hothead at all, but since you replied to it I want to give my side of the story. I have a life, a family, a fulltime job, I can't do these things over night and neither can the people I have parts create. People with CNC machines and lasercutters. Sadly they aren't in my shed.

It is not just about sponsors. This is almost all servergrade hardware. Which to me is quite new and also to a lot of others here as well. So I take my time to show this so people can see what goes into servers etc.

So the end of the story is; I will build a custom build, modded parts, the lot. And I will do this at my own bloody pace. If he doesn't enjoy it, no one is forcing him to come and take a look in this thread. Be sure to not view it.

6. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Well put!

Nice to see a server based mod. Haven't seen enough multi CPU love recently so look forward to following your progress.

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks a lot Boorach :thumb:

I was really interested in this opportunity as I hadn't seen anyone do a real casemod with serverparts since I joined here. (and I don't classify an SR-2 under server parts) So I thought it would be good fun. Plus it will be a strong folding machine.

------------

I don't know what the dude making this is on, but he has been working on it the day after he received the motherboard non-stop it seems.

Check what he just sent me. That is a single days work!!!! :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to have a vinyl sticker made up that covers it with gfx on it (the Opteron Prime gfx). Then some leds under/in there and there we go.

I really want to have a version of the Opteron Prime banner on there. Would be great to have it lit up.

More pictures soon.

I want to thank Sander and Tom for this work. Tom you really worked your butt off.

They didn't sponsor me with this waterblock as in "gave it for free". But I received a nice discount and they are starting up such an amazing business I wanted to show their banner to you guys. They are really modders at heart and want to give everyone the opportunity to get anything created or do it yourself at their shop. Their business started 2 days ago. I have signed an NDA and seen some of the groundbreaking stuff they want to bring the community and it blew me away. If I am correct there should be an article about one of their products on Bit Tech soon(ish). Keep an eye on them. Good luck guys!

[​IMG]

http://www.modwithme.nl/

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/modwithme-making-custom-computer-parts-available-for-everyone

8. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

no problem, it was a nice little project :p
    looking forward to some pictures when it is finished

9. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I lover server components. Can't wait to see more. :D

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

11. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks Hukkel!
    Yes another 2 weeks we will be launching the pre-release of the ModWithMe products!
    Looking forward to our next project!

12. Asouter

Asouter --------

Great work guys, loving how things are going for you :thumb:

13. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

Cool. That will get some serious ppd, especially if you fill the gpu slots.

14. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks Tom, you rock! :rock:

Thanks Pranja :thumb:

:D a short message that says it all.

Having seen them I expect a lot of them Sander. Thanks for helping me out with this waterblock! :clap:

Great work indeed :)

Yeah I hope to be able to fill them at some point. Would be amazing when AMD releases the correct drivers and Stanford will start supporting them in Linux to have like 2 or more big AMD gfx or even FirePro card in there doing some big scoring. I hope to one day tilt this rig over the 1 million PPD mark.

-------------------------------

Small update on some parts I received. I was talking to my good friend Ben at Enermax about this build. Enermax however has put the Vegas Trio fans END OF LINE so no more available. Enermax didn't have any green led fans anymore in their stock. However he duck into the catacombs of previous demo parts, parts long forgotten and dragons roaming there. No one dares to go to this depths of the warehouse. But Ben grabbed his sword and got out 3 days later, barely alive BUT with all the remaining Enermax Green Twister led fans. :clap:
    Even though they don't sell them anymore they wanted to give a hand to a big folding machine. Folding for a cure. Ben you're awesome!!! :clap:

I really want to thank Enermax and Ben in particular for helping this project out.

[​IMG]

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/main

Had time to unpack them later only to find out..... 3 had been broken beyond repair :(
    Must have happened during either packing or shipping.
    And these fans are impossible to obtain anymore. Enermax litterally has 0 left.
    I need 14 at least for all the visible fans. And now I have 13. Which is not enough.

Luckily last week I found a single one of these fans on Ebay.de. Litterally a single fan. He shipped to me and now I have the 14 I need. THANK GOODNESS. :clap:

The fans might look a bit flashy like this. But when behind a dustfilter with the leds on they look absolutely stunning.

Also bought some almost new Gentle Typhoons to use within the build. They will push the second rad and won't be visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014
  15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I wonder if it will run Minecraft? :D

16. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

What is the motherboard model?

Great project,i will be folowing

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Awesome love quad CPU builds :)

Sub'd

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

:D How many at the same time you mean? ;)

H8QGL-iF

It is a G34, not the highest end because I don't need SAS ports or a great lot SATA ports. But I did want a version that supported 1866 Mhz ram and a couple of PCI-E slots.

Thank you.

Thanks Dark Avenger. I hope you will enjoy the buildlog.

I did quite a bit of cutting and dremeling yesterday. Updates should be coming soon. I first have a few other updates to show you. I have a bit of a backlog to keep this thread going.

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I want to introduce another sponsor for this build. After this no more big sponsors :p

I am honoured to be able to work with a company of the magnitude of EK Water Blocks. :clap:

They offer CPU waterblocks for the G34 sockets. I was able to have a talk with them and they were very interested in this project. Due to the fact you hardly see a project like this. Watercooled big server project.
    Now you all understand why I had to create the custom surrounding build for the 4U server case. To fit watercooling parts.

There will be two loops. Most probably one for the CPUs and one for the memory and chipsets. This means A LOT of waterblocks.

- 4 CPU waterblocks;
    - 4 RAM waterblocks;
    - 16 memory modules to be able to fit a waterblock;
    - 2 Ex3 250mm reservoirs,
    - 2 multiport tops;
    - 2 480mm radiators;
    - 2 D5 pumps with plexi tops;
    - and a LOT of fittings.

I hope to later on use the black fittings for plexi tubing as well when they get released.

Here ae some pictures of the unpacking. I am unboxing the stuff when I will actually start using them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really want to thank EKWB for this sponsorship. I am truely honored to get this opportunity. Thank you Niko and Peter for helping me out with all the details :thumb: You guys rock!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014
  20. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Other parts and sponsors on display and still no modding...
    Is it possible that nobody understands what I mean with "it's not fair"?
    I'm sincerely interested in your build and in your project and I believe in your good faith even not knowing you, I was just trying to point out that this way of keeping a log is open to anyone wanting some easy cash using the site as free advertising.
    For me "case closed":yawn: