1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress OPTERON PRIME - Supermicro 4P folding mayham - folding numbers

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Shut up. You are boring.

EDIT: Changing your avatar to war criminal who killed many people and destroyed many cityes in my country really doesn't help you.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2013
    985323 likes this.
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Do you have green eyes of a monstrous nature? Why not check out all of Pranja's other builds while we wait for this one to get going. There's some absolute crackers!

3. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well rules are clear: "must content _work_ in progress"
    and while it will be very interesting project with much firepower under the hood there is 3 pages of unboxing and not modding :(

4. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

But there is custom waterblock. And Hukkel will soon show us something really nice.

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Plus I have showed you a picture of a complete custom case we have drawn in 3D that the metalshop dropped off. How custom do you want it to be?

A buildlog always starts with the hardware showing and the building later on.

Pranja likes this.
  6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Well I have to agree it has been a bit of an ad-fest so far. But the OP has a proven track record of producing amazing mods so I just skip through for now and wait for the work to begin :)

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Recently I picked up the custom pedestal and arch for the servercase.

Basically what you see here is a pedestal for under it, a loose front for it where the Aquaero 5 will go and perhaps a few poweradjusts, but I am not sure about that yet. Especially now I will use about 4 Gentle Typhoons for the rads and the front and rear fans will be put on a molex -fan pcb. This means I will only need to put 4 Enermax fans on the aquaero. I think it should be able to cope just fine.

And last an arch that goes over the case. The top hole will be filled with a plexi window. Why? Because I am going to route the to and back pipes above the regular case and under that window. So basically in the front there will be the reservoir, under them the pumps, these will feed the radiators next to it, then it goes to the front, up to the top, over the top to the rear and down again to the waterblocks, then up again, over the top to the front again and in the reservoirs. I thought I would do something different for a change :)
    Enjoy the few (not very well taken) pictures of my toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2014
  8. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Decided to do something else the other day: partly dismantle the server case. There are items in and on it I won't be needing.
    I wanted to put in some time and invest how such a servercase actually differs from a regular desktop case.
    I mean how often do you have something like this on your desk?
    The empty case is very heavy. And very well built. No wobbly bits or big gaps and such.
    I am very impressed with the modularity of it. I understand this is because of the minimal downtime servers should have.
    And I love it :D It is like Lego. All of the important stuff just clicks and secures, comes in and out easy.
    I mean look at the rear fans. I can't use them because they a) stick out the rear so won't fit the custom build around it and b) run at 8.200 rpm if I am correct. While this is perfect for a rackserver it is somewhat less usable when in a bedroom or even room next to a bedroom and they make a lot more noise as a regular 120mm fan. But they easy way they come out. No need to disconnect a fan connector or use screws. Just click they're out and connector is loose. So easy to work with I imagine. Same with the mid-fan-shround and fans. The HDD bay is modular as well and so are the 5,25 inch bays and even the complete bay around them including the buttons and connectors. If you know what you're doing you have it disassembled in 2 or 3 minutes. Of course I didn't and was busy for 30 xD
    Of course at some point you reach the point where what I am doing has nothing to do anymore with regular maintenance and swapping parts so a drill was needed to get rid of the first rivets. At that point in time it was getting darker so couldn't see what I was doing anymore. Another day, another chance to mod this case. I want to do it clean and not just put the dremel into it.

Sorry for the multitude of pictures. I wanted to show people how these server cases work. They're very modular.
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2014
  9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

A small update to have something to show for after Bolognese Bonehead started his flaming attack towards my buildlog.

In future updates I will show a few more stuff I bought myself and of the putting together of the motherboard and the waterblocks. The date will be older on those pictures. My appologies for the inconvenience.

I still needed to do some cutting on the case to get it to fit exactly inside the other parts.
    Like the backside with the sticking out fan ports.
    Also the complete front bay system needed to go. And the base where the other bays slide in couldn't just be gotten out using a few screws.

Today the temperature was under 30 celcius and I was in the mood for destruction. :dremel: :rock:

So I took my dremel, my drill, my ancient workbench, my hammer and my saw and spit in my hands.

And the result is the following :hip:
    Man o man this is a tough case. I used like half a package of cutting wheels for only a few pieces here and there. I am very impressed with the build quality of this case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to first testfit it inside the other case and probably also testfit the mobo to see what goes where.
    I can then really measure some stuff to see how I can change it and fit what where. Then the inside will ba spraypainted black by me and then the real building will begin.
    By far the hardest thing will be getting 4 tubes running behind the PSUs down to the other section where the rads are.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2014
  10. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Don't lower yourself to that level. Just let him be green of envy ;)

Servercases are the best, most are designed to be taken apart without tools, everything just clicks and snaps into place. A nice trick companies like HP and Dell also have on their desktops.

Following this monsterbuild, can't wait to see what you're going to do with it :)

11. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you Meelobee. You are right. I shouldn't. It just bothers me people saying that when I say I will mod very much. I finish everything I start and all sponsored parts will be used. This is a 15k dollar build all together. I don't have that laying around. Sponsors give me the opportunity to do this. I am very thankfull for their help so I can create something like this.

I will put all updates online now up untill the case modding. That way the timeline will be correct.

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I am waiting for the metalwork so I started on my big box of EKWB parts. I just really felt like fiddling with it. Decided to start on the RAM monarch modules. Just like the XSPC ones I used for GHFH these will be mounted on the bare RAM so a waterblock can be mounted on it. But since there are 4 CPUs with each 4 RAM sticks I need to fit 16 of them :jawdrop:
    That wasn't too bad. But the ram had stickers on them. Two on each RAM stick. One was a regular sticker and easily removable. But the void warranty sticker was made from bubblegum or something. It took ages to get it off nice a clean. At the end of the 16 sticks it had taken me all evening untill midnight to fit all the modules. That's one way to spend an evening :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

After this I decided to work on the CPU blocks.

I was looking into a way to use plexi tops since I want to use very UV reactive coolant. So that would be cool imo.
    But the CPU waterblocks are only available in one sort; Acetal. But after some asking them it turned out the tops are the exact same as the regular Supremacy blocks so they would fit a replacement plexi top. So I ended up getting 4 CPU blocks AND also 4 replacement plexi Supremacy tops. So I had my first try at doing the old "switcheroo" trick :D
    Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am off to do the other 3 now as well :)

14. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I can't wait to see those blocks and RAM on that board. Neetwork engineer pr0n. :D

15. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

It's gonna look so sick once it's all installed :)

16. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Wow that's a lot of ram haha. Looking good and nice to see the case in bits :D

17. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Wowsers, going to need a serious pump and some powerful rads to keep this lot icy cool!

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Might i also suggest polishing the block tops so they're clear not cloudy? L3p did it on his parvum build and it really let the UV shine through.

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Coming up very soon Pranja :thumb:

I really hope so!

I was thinking the same thing when I opened the packages. SO MUCH RAM!

Well since I cannot overclock them I hope this setup will keep them nice and cool.

I have thought about it. But EKWB themselves rather did not see that. They think the CSQ theme works with the iced look and the non CSQ theme works with a clear look. I am free to do what I want in this build. But I respect their opinion. I can always go from frosted look to clear, but not the other way around :)

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

After a hard day at work I was happy enough to get a silent half evening of working on my hardware.
    I unpacked the mother board for some photos after I received it back for the shop that made the waterblock.
    Had some time to take a few pictures of that as well. Then I found out he put the waterblock in the acc box in a hurry. The copper plates were getting ugly and not shiny. So I brought in my good friend Dr. Brasso to help me with the job. As you can see I have an intermediate picture as well with one polished and one not. Also gave the plexi a bit of a clean. At a later stage I will made a vinyl sticker for it to resemble the banner I have for this build. It will be put onto the block and hopefully green will shine from it where I want it to :D

Next up; the CPU blocks. I had changed all the tops and they wanted a quartet photo. Brothers, what are you gonna do?

Then I grabbed the motherboard, the CPUs, the waterblocks and made them come together in solid harmony. I was sweating like a pig installing the CPUs. One shouldn't think about how much they cost when doing such things.
    Of course the RAM couldn't stay behind. It was getting darker and darker so I could make a photo of the plexi ram blocks just in time. I couldn't make one anymore of the complete works.
    Oh well, maybe tomorrow :)

Here are the pictures of the work so far.

[[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]