1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress *** PHINIX NANO TOWER *** --- MOTY 2011 nomination !!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 9 Nov 2009.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

As I mentioned before, I like the idea with cables coming out on top from the RAVEN case.
    Also it would be hard to plug anything in for example USB when cables would go down.. What I'm gonna do is a nice top panel that will be detachable any time:D But that I'll show that later:naughty:

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Well, I wanted to work on it this weekend, received my aluminum yesterday (7kg of it) but unfortunately they cut main bottom panel in wrong size. They said that they cut with -/+ 2mm tolerance, but I got panel 3mm less than it shoul be. Saw I'm sending it back today, and will get it next week. But I will do some work anyway, rest of the panels dont look that bad. Anyway, update coming up on Sunday I think:)

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Last edited: 14 Nov 2009
  4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I really like your tall case design phinix :thumb:

Oi, I'd use Black anodized screws instead if I had to redo this one :D

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks Bill!
    Right now its only main aluminium frame and few panels. Later on I will show outside panels that will add really nice look to the whole build:)

Yeah, black screws would blend in the color for that top panel, but those you used look good as well, giving some contrast to the black and match aluminum grill on the back of the case, so its a win -win:)

Bill, I have a question to you: I saw once that you used some glue for acrylic, was it Weld-on or something like that? Is it good for acrylic panels? Does it leave a white stain or is it clear? Where can I get one like that?

Last edited: 24 Nov 2009
  6. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what Bill used, but I do believe there are silicone glues/adhesives/epoxies that set clear. I'm also not sure where to purchase/order it for the UK. =^/

How about that for an informative post?! Boo ya

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Just a small heads-up for upcoming update - I worked a bit on main frame structure last weekend. That was actually my first time working with aluminium and have to say - cutting and shaping 3mm aluminium sheet is hell:)
    Bottom 5mm alu panel is coming to me, company I ordered from sent me a replacement, so this weekend I will be drilling rods and screwing all together, hopefuly we will see main frame this Sunday...
    Also I made some small modifications to mobo tray placement - to make some more space for top cpu cooling radiator I had to push mobo a bit "deeper". That move ended up cutting 5mm of front rods thickness. Well, sketchup will show it better then words...

[​IMG]

Here you can see how the mobo tray went 5mm deeper with the middle panel. That change gave me some more space for mobo I/O panel "upstairs" between H50 radiator.

[​IMG]

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK ... I got some first photos!!! Its only aluminium pieces, but still! :)

These are main elements for frame structure (except bottom and middle panel).
    You can see 4 rods, top panel and mobo tray....

[​IMG]

Top panel has marked front space for dvd. Now you can see and get the idea how the slim dvd-rw will be mounted: on the front and vertically! I know.. crazy!:) But I have tested my slim dvd and it works perfectly in this position, so no worries.. If I didn't mention - it will be slim slot-in dvd, no tray.

[​IMG]

Here's the mobo tray. Right now it has marked few elements, like CPU back hole matrix of small holes on the left and the position of mobo mount stand-offs. I took them from photo of DFI MI P55-T36 mobo:D
    You can also see what parts I need to cut off on both sides at the bottom - this will make space for that 45 degree "cut-in rod spacer" I did to get mobo a bit deeper, as I showed previously on sketches...

[​IMG]

Here are main rods... 20mm nice looking fellas.. two of them - "mobo holders" - will receive liposuction this weekend:)
    [​IMG]

Here you can see where Doctor Phinix will make first cut:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is for now.. it has been raining last few days.. I cannot go out to do some work and every time I go back home its dark already so cannot make nice photos...
    This weekend I'm going to work a bit so will show some more progress.

9. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Hopefully the weather will coincide nicely with your plans this weekend.

Those dimensions look awfully small. I always feel like I need room for error, but that's my rough carpentry experience conflicting with my engineering education.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

To be honest, you can't go wrong with Sketchup - if it fits on monitor, it will fit in real life:)
    When I was building The Cube I was measuring everything 4-5 times to make sure its all ok.
    Same this time - I tried 3 different elements positions and chose only one that really let me fit in all the parts. Unfortunately for this kind of dimensions, there was only one structure that let me get all inside of this frame. However its the best one, cause I can still have window in left panel and have space to play with leds to light it up:) So, exactly every element has its own unique position and there is no other way to mount it.

• PSU has to be mount vertically, cause that gives the only way to route all cables.
    • Pump barely fits in between PSU and graphic card, but still being mounted on bottom of the case! 2mm space between them, that is all!:jawdrop:
    • Drive cage with slim dvd-rw, SSDs and HDD - all 4 items mounted vertically on the front - total thickness of the drive cage WITH all hardware installed - 15mm(!) :jawdrop:- stack between front rods.
    • Top CPU radiator - exactly 2mm below top panel surface:eeek:, 1mm to I/O mobo panel hole (!):jawdrop:
    • Rear radiator - 397mm long against 400mm tall rear panel, again, only 3mm gap, which basically gives perfect fit.
    • The only item that has space to "fly around" is graphic card - it can be 35cm long in total, so really future proof:)

Now.. I need coffee...:eeek:

Well... it has to be PERFECT !!!:D

11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

PHINIX NANO TOWER?! Sub'd!

12. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Ditto....

13. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Popcorn ready :)

14. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

phinix - go on! i'm watching!

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

"Liposuction" of two rods....

Thanks guys!:)

Well, during this weekend it was raining all the time, so couldn't work outside. Worked in the attic a bit. I prepared and cut mobo tray and bottom panel, also sanded them nicely to have clean shiny edges.
    After that I started with that two rods that keep mobo tray. As I mentioned above I wanted to thinner them a bit to push mobo tray a bid deeper, 5mm into those rods. So I took my trusty dremel to try it out.. During half an hour I managed to brake 2 reinforced cutting wheels and get 3mm deep cut... So I took my badass jigsaw with special metal cutting blades.. After another 10 minutes I get another 2-3mm deeper... Of course my special blade was worn to the frame;) So decided to drill holes along that cut line I drew on the side of that rod, so it will take some material off so jigsaw cutting would be easier. I drilled about 10 3mm holes and my drill press stopped when drill bit was in about half way down...
    So I went to B&Q and bought 5 new mega-special thick-metal cutting blades... After another 2 hours I managed to get 2 of new blades totally worn.. and got 2cm cut... So after whole afternoon trying to cut this rod I decided these rods are going to cnc place:) Now I'm really convinced that I bought some kind of super-hard grade aluminium rods:)

I think I'm gonna have to add one more detail in description of my new build - it will be bulletproof ;)

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I love your work bro, I will eagerly be awaiting your next update :D.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cheers man! Well, I'm also eagerly waiting for next weekend to work on it as well:) I hope I'll get those rods back till Firday and then all good stuff gonna start.

What I need to do this weekend is:

• drill and tap all 4 rods at the bottom and top
    • create main frame - measure against rod holes and drill bottom and top panel and screw them together
    • drill and tap hole in "flattened" parts fo rear rods for mobo tray
    • drill and fit in mobo tray to rear rods
    • cut the middle sqaure hole in top panel
    • measure and cut 6 support L-shape corners for bottom and middle panels then mount them
    • fit in middle panel

Looks lie a lot of work, but it will be much easier when rear rods will be ready. That sounds fun for me this weekend!:blush: I hope you guys gonna like it as well...

18. mnpctech

We anxiously await your next progression stage :thumb:

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Bill! I received some mysterious package! I'm sure this one will be from you! :) I will pick it up from Post Office on Saturday and show all the goodies:)

Guys, I feel it in my bones that this weekend will be huge! Upcoming update will overwhelm you all! :D Well.. I hope;) I may receive back my rods, also some goodies coming up, have few packages to pick up in post office - cannot do it now cause Royal Mail gave silly hours to pick packages by yourself - 8-12 in the morning, so I will be picking them all up on Saturday. I will work my ass off to finish main frame and show it on log of course!

However before that update I will show you some sketches of few parts I've planned.

I have also received support from major companies, but that has to stay a secret for a while:yawn: Don't worry - I will tell and show everything in right time! :thumb:

(oooh, I love to tease you !!! :D)

So guys, this weekend will bring major update in this project and will put some more light on my project. You will learn how I'm going to mount things in this little monster and will see how this magic happens:) I know it is long time to wait, believe me - I cant stand waiting for weekends too.. It is sooo hard for me, but right now weekends are the only time I can work on my sweet rig.

As always... STAY TUNED !!!

TonyL likes this.
  20. mnpctech

Cool!

Yes, this will be a huge weekend for projects. It's a 4 day holiday weekend for a lot of folks in the states. Sounds of power tools emitting from garages and basements :D