1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Post your aquarium

Discussion in 'General' started by KayinBlack, 24 Feb 2010.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

2. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

3. samkiller42

Yea, i will add reflectors to my new Hood when i get it all sorted. They say they add double the light output.
    The lighting you ordered seem expensive, got any pics of the rest of the system, i.e, is there a large power unit like on the Glo Lights i showed you.

Sam

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

My problem is I just can't fit them into the hood.

Its made for the system its using, and I think it would be too much hassle to try and get anything else mounted in.

I may be able to get reflectors in mine, but again, due to the way the hood is made, I wouldn't be able to get a full length reflector, not even sure I could get a smaller one in. I did have silver foil in there before, but I don't think it made much difference.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Must.. stay... away... from... thread.. o.o

I'm going to end up getting a tank at this rate.. been avoiding it for years now.. :sigh:

Love all your setups though

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

lol, I know exactly what you mean.

It was this thread that made me sort out my tank, causing me to spend about £40-£50.
    Not much I know, but that's £40-£50 I could have saved to go towards a new graphics card, or an MOT, or a TVR, :D.
    And I'll probably be spending another £20 tomorrow on 2 more gouramis and possibly some other bits and bobs.

Aldi have got a fish tank at the moment, £19.99. :D:D

15L, with a pump/filter. Choose from deep sea or shipwreck, :D. Comes with everything, gravel, fake plant, pump/filter etc. :D:thumb::thumb:

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Heres some pics of the tank.

This is how it looked after the plants had been in for about a week ish. They went berserk.
    [​IMG]

Then I had to trim them back the other day, they'd just gotten too long and were getting starved of light.

[​IMG]

And its amazing what changing the settings on my camera can do :

[​IMG]

Just by changing the white balance, from auto, manual.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Got some more fish today.

The local fish shop said that if we brought in some of our guppy's, they'd exchange them for some other fish.

So, because we've got sooooo many guppy's, we picked out 11 of them, took them down, and got another golden gourami and 1 male guppy (to try and balance out the ratio). So now got 3 male guppys, and about 10 grown females. Still got about 10-15 small baby guppy's too. :D

And I got one of those reflectors from Pets At Home.

Just fitted it, and I think it should be pretty good, once its set at the correct angle. Although I don't believe its going to double my output. But it should spread the light around a bit more evenly.
    And, in fitting it, I took apart the current hood/lighting system, and found that I may be able to fit another lighting system inside. And I may well do so, as the current system is awful. The plastic is so old and has gotten so hot, that its just gone really brittle and is crumbling away.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Looks like my blue gourami is dying, :(

10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

tanks looking good cerberus

finally got round to installing my ro filter. step one find the pokiest corner possible and instal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pics are pretty boring

tds is at zero so working perfectly. its taking 8 mins to do 1litre so my 240l tank will take around 32 hours to fill (around 1.5 gallons an hour) not including sump. but itll be less with live rock and sand

tank should be ready to collect this week coming.

planned stock is two clowns (cant decide if i want common clowns or something alittle different) maybe 3 chromis and a jawfish. then a few others maybe a flame angel and a few small gobies of some sort. im not dead set on the flame angel but i know i want one big-ish fish

11. samkiller42

Nice stock choice, i personally would choose an Emperor Angle over the Flame, but then, my dad had a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angle in the same tank, so i would want something different.

I've been advised to use RO water for my setup, but as we rent, not really a good idea to go changing the water system, so looks like i will need to buy 350litres worth of water....fun
    The things we do for fish heh

Sam

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

My maidenhead aquatics sells RO water (I think its RO, pretty sure it is).
    Not that expensive, but they sell it in those water carrier thingys, don't know how big they are, something like 10-15l.

A refill is only about £1.50, first time to buy the bottle and water, its £5 or something, but I think they'll give you a refund if you bring the bottle back.

Although it might not be much use for 350l, :D

13. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

we rent too the landlady doesnt know about the filer and prob never will. the input just pierces one of the water pipes and the waste is just run into the bath and the little cupboard its in isnt used. in the four months weve been her she hasnt been in the house once and she works down the street. i can just seal the small hole in the water pipe when we leave. but thats just me our landlady is nice and wouldnt care anyway i dont think

do you mean a proportion of ro water or ro with supplements added afterwards, or just plain ro water? the one thing that put me off the discus was that you never get a straight answer on the water, was really close to buying a discus tank, maybe three weeks and the whole contradicting info i was getting on discus water conditions stopped me.

yeh the emperor is nice but gets very big. im tempted with a yellow tang, very striking but alittle common. or a copperband, the big fish will have to be the last anyway because he prob wont be as hardy and more expensive

im definately going to try to get a jawfish i think theyre great little fish. ill build up a corner in the tank to put a small deep sand bed for the jawfish, thats the plan anyway haha

im trying to go into they whole think without over researching everything so i dont end up worrying and taking the fun out of it. dont mean im going into it blind just going to get the basics right and figure everything else out as i want to get stock.

will get a few cleaner shrimp too

Last edited: 10 Apr 2010
  14. samkiller42

Ok, so no real update, but i have decided on some equipment for my to be Discus setup.
    Lighting will be split between T5 tubes and AquaRay LED's, all time controlled for the ultimate lazy mans way.
    As it's to be a planted tank, at least, along one wall, i will require a CO2 setup, so will prob be getting something from D&D after my local geezer recommended them.

Lighting alone will cost just over £300, and the CO2 will be £120, further more the need for more sand, rocks and bog wood, gonna be pretty costly, before i even introduce fish.

Will update further when parts are in and things are setup.

Sam

15. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Why not make your own C02 equipment?

I made mine, and it was going strong for atleast 3 weeks on just 1 bottle.

All you need is a 2 litre bottle, water, sugar, yeast, baking powder, air stone, air line, 1 way valve.

Tons of guides on the net. And I can only assume it worked, because I've never been able to get plants to grow in my aquarium, but after having this C02 diffuser, I've got cabomba everywhere. :D

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I was gonna compliment you on those, they're quite a sight.

Got a new 10 gallon up, needs to have its filter replaced and a light fixed, but it's three swordtails (soon to be more of course) three shrimp and a pair of Ancistrus, they're wee little things. I have a nice clump of somethingorother for plants right now and am probably gonna pick up a nice sword plant the next time I'm out.

I also picked up a completely white betta, to see if I can get its tail and fins to grow out to show quality. They're normally quite expensive, so 3 bucks suited me just fine.

17. samkiller42

W00t, new lighting has been bought for the main tank, plus some new bog wood and some more sand. This weekend the hood shall be made and ready, and i may just get to start filling the tank, although i'm not sure if i can start filling with tap water, and from the first water change, use RO only, or buy 350 litres of RO water, and drive back and forth to Maidenhead, Yea sure it's only a mile round trip, but do that several times, and it gets costly.

Still, will update as and when i have something new. And speaking of new, Mum decided the small Kitchen tank needed something new, and bought 6 Comet Plattys, which do add colour, which is nice.

Sam

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

SNAILS!!!!!

They're demolishing my plants. They keep nipping the tops off.

Got three of them the other week when I cleaned my filter out.

Going to get two clown loaches as they will apparently eat them, :D.

And I was going to mix up another C02 batch yesterday, but we don't have any sugar, :D.

19. samkiller42

Time for an update me thinks:
    Done work on both tanks, pictures to follow, but in no particular order:
    Kitchen Tank:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Main Tank:
    Backing goes on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Installing the plumbing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Filled with sand:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to take some more snaps as it now has a custom lid, with installed lighting, and i aim to start filling the tank later this week.

Sam

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

How easy is it with sand???

I'm not really liking my gravel in mine.

Is there any need to clean it with sand? With the gravel I use one of those sucker upper things, and take a chunk of gravel, it sucks up the cr*p and the gravel sinks back down.

Wish I had the time, money and patience for a tank like that, its going to be awesome.