1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Small update: Accent lighting

I wanted some interrior (red) lighting when the CCFL's are switched off. I decided to focus the lighting in the area of the Hard Drives.

[​IMG]

This is a 10" SATA cable with red EL wire. I have one cable sleeved and one yet to work on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have two SATA power adaptor cables with red leds built into the plugs (hd end only). I do not know how long these have been around, but it is the first time I have seen them.

[​IMG]

I am going to try two white leds for the front grill's power on/HD activity.

[​IMG]

I should have some more gear by the end of the week (my laser etched windows shipped today). So, you should see another update by the end of the week.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  2. modsquad

After looking at those SATA power adapters.. Too much red, replaced the Molex plugs with black ones.

[​IMG]

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Those cables are quite new to the market I think.
    I'm assuming you're just sleeving the EL power line on the cables, not the cables themselves...

Looks nice! Maybe a bit much wiring for my liking but I'm a wiring neat freak. You may wanna just add in a few randomly placed LEDs in the hard drive area to light it up as well.

I'm glad to see that you're not really forgetting about any of the components here, I'm just anxious to see it all come together :)

4. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I see you're using the same SATA cables as I am in my Project Fury. :eyebrow:

5. modsquad

I just checked out your last update. We are using the same EL wire SATA cables (I am not sold on these, will need to see how they look) and the same Motherboard, I think (is yours the ASUS A8V Deluxe)?
    MS

6. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

7. Manciarz

Manciarz What's a Dremel?

You mod is very good :thumb: I like it :clap:

8. Firehed

In case you didn't read that log, those hard drives don't work. Modding them killed them both. Not many drives over about 10gb/5400rpm live long after a windowing.

9. modsquad

Thanks Firehed. They do "look" cool. But it would be more fun if they worked.
    MS

10. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Yeah they do, read half way down this Link.

He says that they worked.

11. NemyMongus

NemyMongus What's a Dremel?

I can't find where he says in on his site but in the project log here he said that the drives stopped working after a while (a few days I think). You can see the functional drive that the computer actually uses in this picture. Unfortunatly the windowed ones are just for show. It has to do with the fact that the upper support for the spindel is in the section of metal that is removed. Theoretically if you removed a smaller section of the cover and left that support intact you could probably successfully window any drive you wanted but I wouldn't trust any windowed drive with data that I had no backup of.

edit: Found the post: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=349980&postcount=180

Last edited: 13 Aug 2004
  12. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

damn man, amazing clean work!

Gj
    - Sc0rian

13. modsquad

Small Update: Carbon Fiber DVD Drive

Well, no not real Carbon Fiber. I wrapped my new Plextor PX-712A with a PolyGFX case skin. It came out nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know you will only see the back 3" of the drive when it's installed, but "God is in the details".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

on your pump your should paint the outlets instead of using a marker (that what it looks like to me) other than that it looks really good

15. modsquad

The paint I used is not for plastic. What about a touch of carbon fiber.
    [​IMG]

16. Firehed

"Everything worked fine except the two modded hard drives. They had died completely and would only be recognized randomly by BIOS and the arms just moving back and forward trying to find the start track... I got the system up and running fine using an old 10GB HDD. I have a theory why the drives worked at first right after the mod but not later on. After some surfing around I learned that no modern drive with 40GB platters had been windowed successfully. The high density with the combination of a removed screw from the centre of the platters was probably enough to get them un centered enough to make the head loose it's track after a very short usage..." (Page 5, about 1/2 way down)

I really like the look on the DVD drive! Much better than the grey paint :)

17. modsquad

I am happy with the look too. I was going to paint the DVD drive Black (like the pumps Aqua-Computer Full Metal Jacket), but the CF pattern looks cool.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2004
  18. Carbon

Carbon Banned

'Carbon' Fiber :D

19. Firehed

You said that was one of the PolyGFX skins? If you don't mind me asking, about how much did it go for?

I like that little bit on the pump inlet (or outlet maybe). You should think about doing the FMJ with that too... although then it may seem like too much. Maybe the top/sides area but not the side where the inlet is.

20. modsquad