1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Blu-V (Construction completed! Machine delivered. Buh bye!))

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 11 Dec 2003.

1. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

When I'm finish-sanding, I like to use a spray bottle with soapy water. Basically like what you'd use for tinting windows. The soap gives it a bit more lubrication. Also, I would NOT recommend sanding between the final base coat and the clear coat when you're dealing with metallics. Looking good tho, man! Can't wait to see it with some claer on it :D

2. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Big time concern of mine there.. I plan on getting a few CC layers on this thing. I'm going to take from all of you, and use baby steps on the CC layers, use soapy water in a squirt bottle (any recommendations on mix of this?) and then let the CC set up.

Thanks for all of the advice guys! Getting quite excited by the prospect of seeing this thing done!

3. Tech-Daddy

Working on the fit and polish!

In the home stretch now!
    I see the light! Want proof?

"Adonizing" the back plates of not only the spacers, but the actual video/NIC/sound cards plates as well. (BTW: I reshot the ATX port cover. You can see how it did not take properly, so I primed it with the MEtalCast base coat, and reshot it last night. Looks MUCH better than what the pic displays. -TD)
    [​IMG]

The side skins on the computer:
    [​IMG]

Showing a bit of the shiny, still has a bit to go...
    [​IMG]

The full effect:
    [​IMG]

I've still got to get the window mounted and I just figured out that I have to tap out the section underneath the front mounted switch in order to give room for the wires... :duh:

I'm letting a few pieces dry right now, and hopefully (if I can keep my impatience under control, I'll get everything in tonight, leaving tomorrow for install of OS and testing.

I dont like cutting it that close, but there really is no choice. Wifey would have my butt if I started "cooking" these pieces! ;)

Well... that's all I have for right now... more hopefully in a few!
    :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 23 Dec 2003
  4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Damn man, that looks nice. Love the color's. They just work so well together.

Did you do both sides of the bay covers (the metal ones for the back) or just the side facing out?

[EDIT] I saw in the second to last picture in your previous post that there was a motorized screwdriver sitting there, you arn't using that to work on the computer are you? :eeek: [/EDIT]

5. Tech-Daddy

Thank you very much! I've always liked the blue/black combos. I tend to move towards a more "royal", deeper shade of blue. I just found an automotive paint distributor here in Dallas, going to start talking to them about paint... after the X mas season has passed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Both sides. This case has a window, therefore the bay covers will be seen from both sides. Even if there wasn't a window, it would drive me batty if only one side of the plates were painted! :wallbash:

Why not? Been working computers for going on 9 years now and never had an issue. Why would I not use it? :confused:

6. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

Real nice paint job :thumb:

7. SweMOD

SweMOD What's a Dremel?

damn, it looks nice!!

well done :D

8. Tech-Daddy

Ok, plexi is mounted, and I hve just about figured out the wiring. I need to add a few more Clear Coat shots, and then it's completed!

YAY!!!!!

I'll have more pics up later as I complete (or near complete) the clear coating and assembly.

OS install is right around the corner!!!!

9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Welp, the problem I have with it is... You know how the bits on that electric screw-driver are magneticaly held into place? And you know how drives can develop "problems" when exposed to magnets? Usualy this is not good (I've KO'ed about 3 drives using a magnetic screwdriver). But it's your system, and if you want to use it, I ain't gonna stop ya :p.

10. Tech-Daddy

I feel that unless you leave your magnetic bit sitting directly on top or on the undernieth circuitry of the hard drive, there is nothing that the screwdriver's magnetism is going to do to the hard drive. I ain't K'd a drive yet with a magnetic tip... but I did invest in those IBM "Deathstar" drives. All you had to do was look wrong at those drives and they'd crash!

;)

11. Tech-Daddy

CONSTRUCTION AND PAINTING COMPLETED!!!!!

Here are the reassembled cards with their new back plates painted blue:
    [​IMG]

Whole thing together:
    [​IMG]

My little el Case badge for the front. Kinda goes with the Alien fan grill on the back:
    [​IMG]

Completed back:
    [​IMG]

3/4 from the back to try and show the fade:
    [​IMG]

Close up of the slots and slot covers:
    [​IMG]

Power, fans and ATX ports:
    [​IMG]

Excited and shaking pic with the lights off:
    [​IMG]

Gots to love that EL Badge:
    [​IMG]

I'll have better "dark/glowy" pics available tomorrow after I dig out my tri-pod.

Install the OS on it tomorrow morning, and run stress testers/burn in tools against it all day.

It POST just fine and recognized the memory and loaded the new hard drive just fine. UNfortunately, my hard drive was crashed b4 I even put it in. So... I'll track out another drive and get the OS loaded!

W00T!!!!!!

12. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

damn nice job :hip:

13. SweMOD

SweMOD What's a Dremel?

looks even more great now :)

14. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

oooh pretty lights.... :D :thumb:

15. Tech-Daddy

Thank you all... it was kind of tough to give it up tonight! I delivered it to the owner this evening so that their daughter would walk into the living room tomorrow morning, and there it would be, running in all of it's glory.

*sniff*

:waah:

I left it with a letter written to the girl, telling her that I am always available to assist in the upgrades or maintaining of this machine.

I also thought of something, and not sure if anyone is doing this...
    I use a permanent marker and sign the inside of the case on the back side of the window case wall. In this sig, I also note what brand of paint I used, what the color code and description is, so that if it needs a touch up, the proper colors can be used to achieve the results.

Just a thought with all of the custom color cases I see out here...
    :thumb:
    Well. That seals this log! I've drummed up 2 or 3 more people that are interested in me doing something for them, we'll see how it goes. :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Awesome man, and yeah, thats a good idea with the letter :thumb: (wait, didn't I say something allong those lines....) Anyway, killer idea with signing your work :D Real classy, and professional. Same with noting the exact paint color :thumb: Question though, are you going to put your future projects here on the great Bit-Tech?!?!?! Please say yes. :naughty:

17. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

just imagine how happy that little girl will be....
    well i better get to bed i think i hear santa on my roof.... :yawn:

18. Tech-Daddy

Hehhe, thanks for the compliments!
    As for the future projects, they will definately be here on the site. I'm generating examples that I will use to eventually build a mod site for customers to peruse through, almost like a pictorial resume' if you will. So, the better pics that I take, the better I document, the more that I will have to use as filler and example. :idea:

I have my final UV pics that I took just prior to delivery. I'll have those posted up next time I'm on the board. Right now, I need sleep...

Happy Hollidays all!!!!!

19. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

it looks great with blue / red color, love this badge, where does it come from?

20. Tech-Daddy

Sunbeam makes several different designs of the EL Case badge. I bought mine state side @ Fry's Electronics. I've seen them @ several online mod shops like Jab Tech

Hope this helps!