1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: C&C GDI War Factory (*New Video*)+ Ion Cannon (August MOTM)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 18 Jul 2008.

1. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your encouragement. :D

It must be weird for most guys to see a girl here, but I really do enjoy many aspects of computers. Gaming and modding just happen to be some of them. It is amazing to have a place where anyone around the world can come to learn and share ideas. I am always trying to learn new things and definitely don’t want my gender to be reason not to do something. Who doesn’t enjoy fragging on a Friday night (though I haven’t played a FPS game in a while).

Next up, I have some pics of my work on the main structure of the GDI War Factory.

2. milotic858

Time to cut the board for the base of my structure. Pretty simple, just a straight cut.
    [​IMG]

Bent the plexi with a heat gun. It went well and bent pretty easily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The war factory will be on the right and I will put the crates on the left. I still need to build the raised areas around the main structure, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PFS*

PFS* What's a Dremel?

I agree 100% with praetor coda. Being male or female shouldn't have any difference, and guys that give you stick are just scared that you might take their moment in the spotlight.

The Build is looking good and coming along really well. Very nice idea for the mod. Keep up the good stuff

4. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Hey Milotic858,

The mod is coming along very well. I am happy the crates pattern worked out for you. Great job on the plexi cutting and bending. It looks just like ths warfactory shell.

- Ton

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Interesting, we should round up some people for C&C night. I'll get owned, but it'll be fun anyway.

Girls mod. It's a fact. Been doing it for a long time. Dated a female modder once... actually, twice. Taught an ex to build her own PCs.

Keep up the good work...

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

nah its not rare not by a long shot, I know LOTS of girls into computers and gaming, and some are into modding and customizing their own look into their computers, whats makes it seem rare is probably the forum side of things, a lot of girls dont do this or care or have the need to show off their work, which is why it seems rare, I mean in this situation she almost didnt do it either but her hubby as she put it encourage her to do so, maybe its just a male ego thing about wanting to gloat and showoff =p

But anyhow I am loving what I am seeing so far, you have done a fantastic job so far. I know you have a big challenge on your hands as this might get compared to the Temple of NOD build but so far you have done an amazing job so I am confident that this will come out great and I look forward to seeing the end result :)

7. milotic858

PFS* - Thanks for the support. I appreciate it!:D

Thanks again, It is really nice to see great modders like you so open to helping others.:clap::clap::clap:

I’m game for C&C, but right now that would cut into mod time… But after August 1, your on!

HourBeforeDawn – I agree with you that it isn’t rare for girls to mod, game, or do anything else with their computers. But, we are the minority. Yes, my hubby did encourage me to do a worklog, but I think at some point all modders have someone that encouraged them to post.

I would be honored if someone compared me to the Temple of Nod. Even to be in the same league as that mod…That is an awesome mod! But, I don’t have the resources or time that it takes to make something like that. Plus for my first mod, I am trying out different things and there is a lot of hit or misses with this case.

8. ChrisK

ChrisK What's a Dremel?

You are lucky to have a hubby who encourages...what you have done so far look great.

9. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Lookin great on the bending. Keep it up :D

10. commandercup

commandercup What's a Dremel?

Is this your first mod!? I was expecting very little competition... with only 6 people, but your mod is coming out great...

Oh and I love the scrollsaw, I've got the same one heh, is that what you used to cut everything?

11. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

I'd love to see this mod come together, although I practically never played C&C (I'm more into Unreal).

12. milotic858

ChrisK, acey, Bluefan…glad you like what you see so far. I plan to enter this case into a mod contest. http://www.modshop.net/users/milotic858/rig/c-c-gdi-war-factory So, I have a lot of work to do. I am falling a bit behind on the worklog so that I can finish in time, but I should have another update soon.

LOL, I guess this isn’t my first mod. :eek: a couple of years ago, I did a “girly case.” I put batz maru stickers on it and hand painted it a cute stripe, circle theme. Oh… and I even added some rhinestones to it. Not really much of a mod, but I thought it looked so cute. Then, I went online and saw some amazing things people where doing with their computers. But, this is my first from scratch case mod.

The competition at modshop seems pretty stiff. I see lots of good mods and cool ideas. I can’t wait till August 1 to see all the finished products. At the same time, I have sooo much work to do. I wanted to make this case anyways, now I have a reason to get it done.

13. milotic858

Base of the War Factory. The crates on the left and the shell of the War Factory on the right.
    [​IMG]

I put the plexi shell of the war factory on the base and well it just isn’t holding up the way I thought it would. It isn’t as sturdy and won’t keep the shape that I was trying to achieve. So… support was added to the front and back to help keep everything together. The back is pretty simple, so a solid piece is perfect. But, the front needs to be open. Only wood around the front is used to hold it together. Wood glued all around and hopefully this will help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

hmmm you're good wiht tools eh... would want a workshop for myself but oh well, no house yet. Btw, did you remake the hexa cubes or are you just gonna use the paper cubes? Not sure if it'll last

15. Daveofthedead

Daveofthedead What's a Dremel?

cant wate to see it finished its looking relay good :) iv all wanted wanted a mammoth tank so when u finish u can make me one of them :p lol

16. commandercup

commandercup What's a Dremel?

oh and, sounds like you have a lot of experience! :hehe: batz maru Cheesecake! you should post some pictures of that on here lol

if you don't finish, it makes things easier for me! :hehe:

and btw, I'm competing under bjkdesign.com rather then my usual username! I'm in a bind to try and get my mod finished as well... I guess everyone loves procrastination...

well, GL! :thumb:

17. milotic858

It’s done! I have been making great progress on my GDI War Factory Case Mod. But, with only one week left, I have been working hard to get it done by the August 1 deadline. So, if you can’t wait and want to see the finished product here is the link

http://www.modshop.net/users/milotic858/rig/c-c-gdi-war-factory

I will be back filling the worklog. I hate to do it this way, but I had to work really hard to get it all done. But, there are some OMG!! moments and further explanations that aren’t in the other worklog.

I’m not that good with the tools. I am lucky to have access to my husband’s tools. They are so much fun to work with. I loved using a handheld dremel. It was much smaller then the regular one. Scroll saw is just like a sewing machine, but bigger :p I ended up using the paper cubes, only because they looked better and were easier to make. You are right, they don’t last. I had some open up and I left some out and they got squished. I have some ideas to make them stonger

I really like the mammoth tank too, maybe turn a mouse into a mammoth tank? Don’t know if I have the skill for that. Maybe I should turn my messed up wood crates into tiberium.

Commandercup – nice work on your case mod. Good luck on the competition. With such a short deadline, I know we all had to work hard to get done.

18. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

It's great :thumb:

I would rather use a scroll saw than a sewing machine, once had a needle go through my thumb thanks to a Singer, it ___ing hurts.

19. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

OMG done so early for such a mod? Great work I'd say with tat speed! Good luck!

20. milotic858

Ouch.. but I know what you mean. Scroll saw is much easier to use then a sewing machine. Though when a blade breaks it can be a bit scary.

Thanks… Had to give up some sleep, but it was worth it. The detail work was the hardest. Needed to make sure everything lined up correctly. Wasn’t sure how it would all turn out till I put it all together at the end.