1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cosmos SLR

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by coolmiester, 22 Sep 2007.

1. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Cheers for the positive feedback, much appreciated thanks.

I'll update as soon as possible.

@ Koradhil - will do, i'll be stripping mine so will let you know of any issues i come across.

2. coolmiester

Well just to show i'm not sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for the case to turn up which incidentally will be here tomorrow, i've been fabricating the front.

Using MDF this time which is a first for me to give it some kind of depth so the Merc badge ends up sunk in like the real thing.

Basically just cut the rough shape out then using a 120mm hole saw, cut out the hole that will eventually have the badge mounted then using a little mouse sander (seen Bill at Mnpctech using one and just had to get my hands on one) to round the edges off and give the whole thing a more rounded look - still loads to do on that but as i don't know exactly where the 120mm hole will line up until the case arrives i thought better of sanding to much.

Once the MDF is fully sanded down it will be mounted to 3mm aluminium like in the picture below but with a 120mm hole in the alu also and some kind of grill cut out below like real car then filled, primed and the whole lot painted but that's as far as i dare go until the case turns up.

Give you a bit of an idea of how its taking shape......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

really nice work so far. have you got any drawing of your plans so we can see what you are aiming the case to be like?

4. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Nice work, I think it will look great on the front. If you get the case, could you find out for me if the black acrylic in the door can be removed (I want to replace it) ?

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice! Lookin 4ward to more updates Paul :thumb:

6. coolmiester

@ Koradhil - It can be removed quite easily with a bit of careful prizing off as its only stuck down with double sided tape.

The plexi is 2mm and totally flat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mnpctech

It has arrived! Time to grab a Beer and some munchies. Watch Paul do his magic!

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm with Bill.

9. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

me too, I'm following this one.

10. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Awesome, exactly what I wanted to see :) How about the black top part, can it be completely removed (I know the grill can be removed) ?

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

hmmmm slosmos

12. coolmiester

Still not sanded the any more of the MDF but decided to strip the Cosmos naked and de-riveted and took out the hard drive caddy so I can mount the 140mm Aerocool chrome fan but did realise I should be able to fabricate a simple bracket to refit it.

Also before sending the chassis away for powder coat thought I’d get all the 120mm holes lined up in the door, the front bezel and the chassis which leaves Saturday for sanding the MDF down providing the weather stays fine as its not a job to be done in doors.

Actually the bezel and chassis were cut using a 120mm hole saw but the door was cut with a jig-saw as it needs to be only 118mm which will give the badge something to sit on so the wonky edge won’t be seen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice paul!

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Man, this is lookin' tight. I wasn't too into the Cosmos looks at first, but your additions makes it so much more juicy. :thumb:

I'm a Streamline fans fan too. Nice lookin' with just enough performance and decent (lack of) noise. Good job!

15. mnpctech

Say "bye bye" to your face Cosmos. Dr Paul has given it a Hollywood makeover.

Agree, much better than the factory offering. Nice work Paul

16. coolmiester

Cheers:)

What a long day this has been without there being much to show..................guess i under estimated how long it would take to get the MDF looking good.

Anyway managed to get it all sanded down and finished off with 1500 grit as well as the outside aluminium bits then stuck the MDF to the door with two part Araldite so there is just a tiny bit of filler work before it gets a good few coats of filler primer and see how it looks from there.

Also used the original black 2mm plexi and cut out a piece that will end up being stuck the door after everything is primed and painted but just did a quick mock up with fine aluminium mesh behind the badge just to see how things were looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Beautiful

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice indeed paul!

:thumbs:

(I saw one of the soft-top SLR's today and it was looking fab. The front deffo looks like the front of the cosmos now..)

19. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

all i can say is wow

20. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

outstanding as always.

Tags: