1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

It fits very tight indeed, I will only use some glue to secure it a bit.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

what grade oil you got in those shocks?

should be interesting!!!

3. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

wow. Amazing stuff with teh shocks. Loving it.

4. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey, cool, you're back at it :thumb:

The RC parts go really well with the rest of the box and also I see you've got some really familiar looking fans there :D I must say though, they are not the most silent fans around, shame though, they look great.

If the looks of the fan weren't an issue for modding, I'd go with Papst fans all the way, not cheap, but quiet and sturdy as hell. I have 4 80mm Papst fans in my other computer and I can't even hear it over OM puffing into my other ear. I'll have to do something about that...

Anyways, it's great to see that you've got this mod going again, the audience is watching, but you already knew that :D

Janne

5. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Ah, sweet.

6. El1m1nate

El1m1nate What's a Dremel?

Awesome! guess u have to do a first case 2 get sponsors 4 a second...

7. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

interesting concept. certainly going to be one to watch.

8. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Today I was feeling like years ago. Playing with clay makes you feel young again. I made the shape for the air outlets that come on top of the case. These ones. Side view and top view ( it's in Dutch )

[​IMG]

Used some wood for the hight, length and shape. It's about 6 cm. in hight.

[​IMG]

After drying I will have to sand it with some very fine sandingpaper and then bake it in a normal oven at 130 degrees Celcius.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not finished yet after baking it, because this is a positve and I will need to make a negative from this shape. The negative a will use to shape the glass fibre.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2007
  9. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I ordered all the materials I need to make the fibre glass parts. It took me a bit longer then expected, but I needed to know know some technical stuff about working with fibreglass before I could order it. Monday they will send all the stuff to me, so I expect it to be here on tuesday or maybe a day later. I almost done with the model for the fibreglass part. I will make a fibreglass shape from this clay model and that part I will use to construct 4 airoutlets. The clay is baked now and it came out well. Only will have to sand it a bit.

[​IMG]

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, the clay model on top of the case. The fibreglass is hardened after 25 minutes, so I think I can finish them next weekend.

I did a lot of work on the harddisk box, but I dont want to show it yet. All the parts will be glued and I can't do that before I know it all will fit. It's a bit hard to take a picture of all the things withot it being mounted. So you all will have to wait some time for those pictures.

Started working on something els, the powerbutton. This was the idea.

[​IMG]

and I used some leftover aluminium from the Lian Li mod.

[​IMG]

I just can't wait to begin working with the fibreglass.

10. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Don't forget to round the top edge of that plate of Al for the power buttons, like I suggested. :p

11. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The model for the airducts on top of the case are almost finished, After sanding it with very fine sandingpaper I had to put some resin over it.

[​IMG]

This is what the model looks like after two layers of resin. Some spots may look like they are not smooth, but that's because some spots are a bit grey and most of the model is white.

[​IMG]

Now I will have two wait for it to dry, takes 24 hours. Tomorrow I can use the moldingwax.

[​IMG]

I'm cutting the fibreglass mat to the right size, so I can start working with it tomorrow. The fibreglass model will not be the part I will need, but only the nagative model that I will use to create four fibreglass airducts.

[​IMG]

I also need a model for the fibreglass that will cover the top of the case, I use MDF for it.

[​IMG]

The MDF model is treated with the same resin. It will need another two layers before I can apply the wax.

[​IMG]

Now I'll have to wait 24 hours for it all to dry. In the meantime I started working on some plexi tubing that I will use for the airducts from the radiators to the top of the case. First I need to cut it down in size.

[​IMG]

After thhis it will have to be cut in half.

[​IMG]

Now I have four of these parts, only two in this photograph, but I've got four of those thing now.

[​IMG]

They will be mounted here.

[​IMG]

The plexi will not be visible in the endresult and the sides will be closed as well.

12. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Looks more Revolutionary, than Evolutionary... :) Great work :thumb:

13. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

i like where this is going... keep up the good work! =p

14. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

You managed to get a straight cuts into that huge acrylic tubings with a scroll saw? That's really impressive. I wouldn't even dare thinking of that, because it looks somewhat dangerous.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2007
  15. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

It's a very small update, but I'm so happy with the result. It's a nasty stuff to work with but the result is very good.

[​IMG]

Later today I'll remove the polyester model from the clay model and cut down the edges.

16. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The polyester is removed from the clay and it looks very good. I didn't know what I could expect from this material but I'm very satisfied with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this fibreglass part I will use as a model for the 4 parts I will use as airoutlets. The inside of this model to be precise is the side I will use as the model. Just add some special black paint to the resin to get a black part.

17. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I almost finished the 4 models for the airducts that will be placed on top of the case. These models will be sanded and painted later after they have been attched to the polyester top that wil cover the upper part of my case. I wanted to show where these parts will be mounted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also worked on something for my dustfilters. It's always difficult to get those things out and that's why I want to create something that can easily be removed. I will use three layers, two will be glued together and the third is just to keek the filter in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will mount a profile underneath my case where this thing will slide in. Far from finished, will have to file it, corners wil be rounded and it will have to sanded.

18. solomon

solomon What's a Dremel?

Looking real good... can't wait to see how it comes together.

19. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Started working on the fibreglass that will cover the top of the frame ( the top and about 17 cm. of the sides )

It's a dirty stuff to work with. You've got to work fast because it gets more and more sticky after some time.
    The model that will be covered with the fibreglass is finished. Around the model I mounted a wooden frame. When the fibreglass is hardened I can push the model of. If this doesn't work I can always remove the MDF from the inside.

[​IMG]

Before I can begin I have to cut the glass mats into the right size.

[​IMG]

Right now there's are four layers of glass.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I can put on the last two layers. After this is finished it will have to harden. When it is dry I will cut out some areas for the airducts that I already have made. These ducts will be mounted with some fibreglass to the big model and with some special bondo for fibreglass it will be smoothened so you can't see that it were seperate parts.

The part I am making now will be placed over over the frame, here.

[​IMG]

Afterwards I need to cut out some areas for the ducts.

20. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The fibreglass hood came of the MDF model without any problem and the inside is perfectly smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I testfitted the hood over the aluminium frame and it fits. Could not wish for more. No image of the hood over the frame, the battery of my camera will have to be recharged first :( The outside has to be sanded. After that I will cut out some areas for the airducts and some other things.