1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. DeKemp

DeKemp BEER.

Great job, :D.

2. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Camera is working again, so here is the image from the hood over the frame. It needs lots of work, sanding, need to cut out some areas for the airducts and for some other things. When this all is finished it will be painted. The fibreglass at the bottom sticks out, but that will be removed so no problem at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2007
  3. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

going to a slick mod when done!

4. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

This week I will be working on two other pieces of fibre glass that wil be mounted in this big hood. An image will make it more clear I think. The areas that are marked in black will be removed from the fibreglass.

[​IMG]

The part in the left corner will be made this week and will also be fibreglass.

In the end it will look something like this.

[​IMG]

In the openings I will place some acrylic, just like in the sketch some pages ago.

5. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The only place I can cut the polyester is outside in the garden because cutting or filing it creates an enormous dustcloud. I have to wear a mask and after work I just have to take a shower to remove all the white dust.
    First mark the area that I'll have to cut away with my Dremel. The openings for the fibreglass airduct will be cut later on, after finishing these parts.

[​IMG]

I didn't know if it was hard to cut the fibreglass so I took some distance from the marking. In fact it was easy to cut, but to be on the safe side I don't cut on the marking.

[​IMG]

This is the model for the fibreglass part that I will create this weekend.

[​IMG]

Keep the model in place, ofcourse this will also be fibreglass, but just to see what it will look like.

[​IMG]

I had to draw an ellips. Need one half of this ellips to mark the lower opening for the airducts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. vortex46

vortex46 What's a Dremel?

wow,very cool project,keep it up :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

What the hell! I've missed this worklog, but now I'm subscribed! Good work with the fiberglass, and the ideas for the airduct are stunning! I was searching for the plastic frame corner here in Italy, but nobody have seen before something like that, I'll order them at your same shop...
    Anyway, I'm so curious about the dust filter, it's a new idea and I love to learn form you!

8. marauder16

marauder16 What's a Dremel?

wow, this is some really great stuff, where do you get such ideas, amazing, keep it up :clap:

9. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Ready to make two more fibreglass parts. I need two of these parts for the right side and the left side of the case.

[​IMG]

The parts came of pretty well. Only need to cut of some material at the edges. I leave some material at these edges for mounting it to the big fibreglass part I made earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With an ordinary Dremel I cut away all the stuff that isn't needed. Quite a dusty job. I wear a mask and work outside.

[​IMG]

Later on I will draw the ellipses on the parts and cut them out.

10. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

damn that is a lot of dust.

the fiberglass is coming out swEEt. keep it coming ^_^

11. mario_cell

mario_cell What's a Dremel?

Wow, I think this mod will be horrible AWSOME :jawdrop:

12. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Hehe 'horrible awesome'.....I like it and I agree!

13. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I bought a cheapass electrical sanding machine, because I have to smoothen te surface from the lit. By hand it would take me ages. I'm glad I bought it, because it saves me lots of time.

[​IMG]

The top of the case is almost ready, the sides will be done next days. Ofcourse I wear a mask while working on it. I almost look like a snowman after sanding :brrr:

[​IMG]

When all the sides have been sanded I will use a special kind of bondo to fill up every little hole and wetsand it afterwards. To be able to cut of the small airducts straight my dad made something for me. Now I can saw it and all the airducts will be the same size.

[​IMG]

Worked great. Now I can mark the lit. This has to be cut of for the airducts.

[​IMG]

The holes look a bit big, but when the airducts are placed it already looks a bit better.

[​IMG]

and that's not all, I will also create some sort of fingergard from acrylic. Looks fantastic, but you will have to wait for that.

14. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I agree with an earlier poster, this project is more revolutionary than evolutionary! Awesome work, thanks for all the great updates!!! :D

15. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Every time that my mailbox have a mail from bit-tech I hope that is an alert for your thread... It look so amazing , I'm so interested in fiberglass working, and I hope to learn something for you!

16. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

fellows listen to your dads . rumors told me, sometimes they know some tricks.

i´ll keep an eye on your project. workin with fibrestuff really attracts me.

17. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I cut some holes in the lit for the airducts with my fake Dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I numbered the holes and the airducts, it's all handwork so there all the ducts are slightly different and fit only perfectly in the hole with the same number.

After three days of bondoing and sanding the lit is almost smooth. I will need to wetsand the lit one more time.

[​IMG]

I want to glue the airducts to the lit and want to use some UHU 2 components glue for this job. On the UHU website it says

Metals, glass, porcelain, ceramic, wood, marble, stone, concrete, Duroplast®, glass fibre reinforced synthetics, rigid PVC, rubber, rigid foam plastics such as Styropor®. Not suitable for sticking large areas of glass.

So I think it will work, but to be sure I will try it on some leftovers first.

18. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

I'm curious - when viewing the vents from the front, how circular do the openings appear?

I've been following this build since its inception and have got to say that you've got quite the imagination. Keep up the good work.

19. ThomasM

ThomasM What's a Dremel?

ohh man, it is verry verry cool.

i want more ;)

Last edited: 17 Apr 2007
  20. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

on the place i worked for some time we just glued everything with the resin used for laminating.