1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Don Corlenone76<-- I actually have NO idea whatsoever, as to what I'm gonna do about the connections...
    But there's no way I'm gonna incorporate a new back for the case... :) I'm still thinking about that stuff...

Also, the empty space in the PSU box, will be used for excess wiring. :)

Cheapskate<-- I know, I know... The sponsor-thingy was mostly just a joke! :)

The o-ring itself is no problem... The whole thing is revolved around time... But on the other hand
    I'm only 28 years old, so why not just go ahead and do it! :)
    I'm not really worried about leaks, if I was, I'd probably just stick with air! ;)

We don't do this to stay on the safe side, do we? :cooldude:

I just gotta get around to the CPU-block, and the tops first... But the upcoming weekend should bring time
    and will to get those done.

I just mailed a guy in Germany about Compression-fittings and other stuff, so I hope to order those sooooon!

MrBean<-- WOW... Thx for that explanation! Then I understand better!
    And I'll be following your worklog too!

Damouse<-- I guess I have no choice anymore, but to get on the GPU... But it's not something that will happen the
    next couple of weeks...

2. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

are you a stripper?
    or man whore? :p

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

LMAO! Nope, just a machinist!

4. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

This is not a real update, just a "Sharing my thoughts" thingy...

Been wrecking my brain for the last 4 hours, to figure out how I'm gonna get away with keeping the back of the case stock...
    This is where I am now, and my mind is made up; No matter what, this perfectly working MAC mobo will die...

[​IMG]

I'm not really attached to it, but still seems sad to kill it! *LOL*

Either I'm gonna un-solder everyone of the connections... Or I'll go the easy way, and just cut them...
    Just look at them... Beautifull little Ba****ds, aren't they? :hehe:

[​IMG]

For Gods sake, I'm a machinist, I know nothing about electronics! So this will take forever... But there is no doubt in my mind that it will be worth it!
    And we have a guy at work who is a genious with stuff like this, so I might just have to call on higher powers that he will give me some advice, and perhaps a little help! :)

I have a couple of things in the bag for tomorrow after work, and I will update then... That is, if my annoying X-girlfriend don't need help with her kitchensink.. *LOL*

If so, it will be thursday!

And BTW, I just got answer back from Germany, so I'm now awaiting 20 compression fittings, tubing, and some clear/uv-blue liquid for the watercooling! :thumb:

Then the next problem ... uhm no, wait, I don't have problems, only challenges! ---- The next CHALLENGE will be this:

[​IMG]

Pump and reservoir in one... This doesn't really fit in the case... So I'll cut the thing, and remove the top where the red is... This case deserves a nice reservoir! :) The pump will be hidden with the radiator and fan... But first things first! :)

I had no idea this would take as much time and work as probably will, but when you have no drawings, and think up stuff as you go along, I guess it goes with the game! But I WILL finish this, don't worry! :)

BTW. If you are in need of a couple of 2.5 GHZ MAC dual core cpu's, give me a shout! :)

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Modding the motherboard...that's a big mod! this is going to be crazy. Would it be easer to buy new SM plugs and mount them to a new board?

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

And NOW you tell me? :hehe:

I'm not sure if I explained it right... But it's only the MAC I will shred, from the MAC inputs I will go for normal outputs, that can go into the mobo... I don't want to solder on a mobo I'm using, since I'm going for a SLI setup when my ca$hflow allows it! :)

I just started the butchering of the MAC mobo...

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED! (Mac-owners only)

[​IMG]

And the connections looks like this:

[​IMG]

More will follow tomorrow! :)

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

First up, don't hate me guys... I'm out hard, with the flu... So no "real" updates the next cpl of days...
    But luckily I can't just lie around doing nothing, so I did a couple of things.

First I measured all the wiring to the front I/O panel, and soldered the connections. Turned out as a nice little bunch of wires! :)

[​IMG]

Then, as promised, I got around to figuring out how I'm gonna keep the back of the case intact. I lengthened the sound in/out connections.

[​IMG]

And yes, they work! :)

[​IMG]

Luckily I had a cpl of old hearphones lying around, and cut them into pieces! :)

That's it for now, gonna have to find some usb-connections to gut! :)

Last edited: 23 Nov 2007
  8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

NOTHING'S ever easy... Just thought I had it made, with the back, and then I put in the mobo... Not enough room, caused by the COM port hitting the phono I/O... What to do? Desided to cut the COM to pieces, to avoid any hardware failure caused by removing it completely...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the first time I've taken anything off a mobo, so I hope the thing works when I put it all together... LOL

[​IMG]

Then it fits... Perfectly! :)

And the finished result, just missing the RJ45 port, but that I will get taken care of at work, monday! :

[​IMG]

Hope to get further monday! Have a great weekend, with lots of modding everyone! :thumb:

Last edited: 24 Nov 2007
  9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Wow, Angel OD. This is great work. That looks friggin' stock. Great job, and great idea! You're nuts for trying it, but great idea! :hehe:

10. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

YAY! I got called "nuts"... Mission accomplished! :hehe:

Thx m8, the G5 -> PC mod has been done before, but everyone took the "easy" way out... So this is, to my knowledge, the first with a fully stock back! :)

And the watercooling will use the stock radiator, but that will also be the only thing stock on that side of things! The rest will be custom... Using the old fan from my PSU, and the waterblocks will be custom.. But I guess you knew that! :)

11. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

That's amazing execution of an amazing idea. It is freakin stock! Also, I lol'd when I read BABYS GOT BACK

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Brett89 <-- Thx man... :) I get a warm feeling inside everytime I get the "Stock" thrown at me! :)
    And I put it all together and the first thing I thought of, when I saw it was... Baby's got BACK! *LOL*
    (Is that a sign that you are a geek? LOL)

BTW, i just ripped the W/C from the G5 apart, and I can reveal that there is liquid inside... Was actually told that it was something which was firm, and when it got hot, it turned liquid... LIE LIE LIE! LOL

13. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Looking good there ;)

With my mod, I had the plan to keep the back 100% original, similar to what you are doing - I was going to design a pcb with all std Apple I/O ports, and have that as a fixture to the rear of the case, with a header connection distributing all signals to the motherboard - that would have been ideal, but my only problem was being tied to an Evga SLi-micro board, being AMD, and nothing available for core 2 duo.

So, my hand was forced, and for the sake of future compatibility, and ease of upgrades, while still keeping the G5 case, I decided to go the route I did.

But, to be honest, modding these cases, and watching what different modders do to them, is what is interesting - there are not many of these out being seriously modded, I really enjoy watching these projects!

And yes, ot of the current crop, your's is very stock, I just luv it....

Keep up the good work, I am off to Bunnings to find some u-channel alu to mount my mcres.

Cya l8ter

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm pleased to see that you are going through extra effort to maintain the integrity of the original design.

15. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

:rolleyes: Yes, I love how "mac people" come up with their own version of the facts all the time!:D

16. Cheapskate

That happens when you buy a computer from a salesman: "No! Don't go to the PC area! You want this! It has magic powers! Don't leave me here all alone!"
    I've heard some great lies told to potential Mac buyers. -Like how an OS upgrade will make your old Mac as fast as a new PC.:hehe:

Edit- I gave you 5 stars. Don't do anything to disappoint me.:p (Like not make anymore waterblocks...)

Last edited: 25 Nov 2007
  17. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

ROTFL ... good job with ripping out some parts from working mac mobo :) I like when someone do proper things with mac :D. good Job looks V good

18. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

First is first! :
    I beat the flu, almost, and I'm ready to go forth with modding. Did a lot of the wiring while having a fever, can't just lie around. :)

I know you guys are mostly interrestet in the water-blocks, and I WILL get there, I promise!!! But unfortunately it will not be this week, as "my" cnc-mill are acting freaky, so we're awaiting a service-guy who will only make it next week. So the idea is to get around to playing with copper next weekend! :) But there's a lot of other stuff to go on with, and I'm not gonna be on the lazy side for now! :)

MrBean <- I understand why you did it like that, sometimes your hands are unfortunately just tied. :) And I will definately keep myself updated on your mod! Me like! ;)

Nexxo <- Thx... I aim to please! :p

Cheapskate <- The only dissapointment (hopefully :naughty:) will be that I won't be able to do blocks the next 10 days or so... But then I'll get right to it! I hope to get most other stuff done untill, so the blocks should be some of the last stuff! ;)

HeXeN <- I like it too... If not for anything else, then just to make a Mac-owner cry! :lol:

To the update! :

As a part of the stock look, I did a little cutting in the rear fans. Since I moved my mobo 1 space down, to make it ready for SLI with only 4 rear slots to play with, I got in a bit of a mixup with the fan-frame and the GFX. This is now solved. Notice that the upper fan has a smaller diameter than the stock one. Just threw it up in a lathe, and took off the excess material. :) Might look funny/ stupid to some, but I like it. And I also milled a bit off the frame here and there, to make it fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I made an aluminum plate, which is going to act as a cover for the wiring... Can't really explain it any further right now, but I know that I messed it up completely! *LOL* Dunno what went wrong, but it's not wide enough, and it's too high... JEEZZ.. *LOL* But I'll make a new one tomorrow, and I'll do the cuts for the wiring, so it will make sence next time you see it! :)

With protective film on:

[​IMG]

Protective film removed (as it will be scrapped):

[​IMG]

And last, but NOT least... I got a package from Germany today, with compression fittings, hose, temp. sensor and gauge, and 1 liter of clear/uv-blue coolant! YAY!

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Damn, those 10 bucks for serverspace was money well spent! :)

And thx everyone for the nice words, it keeps me thinking, :idea: and modding :thumb: :)

Last edited: 26 Nov 2007
  19. Cheapskate

Killer fan mod. It looks better than if you had dropped a new, smaller fan in. I like people who would rather chop than buy. They come up with all kinds of crazy ideas.

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Thx Cheapskate. :) Our photograpfher at work, who unwillingly sponsered the case (as the mac leaked and died) is not as happy as you... *LOL* He came in the workshop after hours while I was chopping it... he he... I look forward to seeing him cry when I cut the side, to put in a window!
    The first thing he said when I said I wanted the case, was; "You're not going to cut anything, are you?" Uhmmmm... Dunno yet! :D

I know you are one of the ppl who love to see the waterblocks, and I swear on my... old cars grave, that it will happen! :)
    Good things come to those who wait! And if I get too impacient myself, I might just have to do them on the other cnc mill... which I TRULY hate! But saturday or sunday will show if it gets that bad! :)

Oh... and BTW... A small hint is to be patient when you work with a fan like that in a lathe... The "center-rod" is 3mm in diameter, and only about 3-4mm long... Taking off 2/10 of a mm at a time is good... Getting bored, and taking 1 mm is baaaaaaad, mmkaaay! *LOL* A fan actually CAN fly! *LOL*

Tags: