1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Glad to hear, Angel OD. I'm looking forward to this patiently. A great phrase that would apply here would be as follows: You can't dictate innovation. Mods will get done when they want to be done! As a modder, you just hang on and hope you aren't separated from any of your appendages. :dremel::thumb:

2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Hi all you crazy modders out there!:)
    Time for a small... very small... update, mostly to let you know I'm still here, and I'm up and running again on this project! :)

Most of you might remember the fan-mod on the back of the case... It's had a small makeover! I COULD say it was because I think it looks way cooler, but the truth is actually that I couldn't figure out the wires... :wallbash:
    A couple of upsides to this, is that I actually found out that the stock fans run at about 30dB!!! The new ones run at 12 dB, on full power, and I don't think they will run more than 50%, nice! And also... I think it looks cool with the white fans, and since they are not shiny, they will absorb light from both the UV, and the blue leds I will throw in there! :naughty:

So, the new fans, and the process of manufacturing! :)

New and Old:

[​IMG]

Spraying the frames from black to grey:

[​IMG]

White fan stock, before modding to look like the small grey one:

[​IMG]

Modding on the lathe:

[​IMG]

Old and New:

[​IMG]

Installed:

[​IMG]

Excuse the mess inside the case, but I'm waiting for some new fans for the PSU. The stock ones are noisy as ...... I'll be getting them from Germany next week, love shopping at Ebay, everything is about 50% off, according to Danish prices! :clap:
    They run as low as 9dB, the SilenX iXtrema Pro 60mm!
    When they arrive, I'll get the fancontroller hooked up, and a lot of other stuff concerning wires will be done. Pics will ofcourse be added! :)

I also found out that the pump embedded in the G5 W/C was actually a Laing DDC... The only problem is that it's made for the Mac, and the wiring is F'd up, as everything on a mac is... I'm in contact with Laying, to get them to tell me which wire is what, and they are actually very helpfull! Nice ppl! :)

The pump:

[​IMG]

That's it for now. One of my New Year resolutions is to get this thing to be and look "Bad as it wanna be" :)

Hope to see more of the incredible modding in here again this year! Keep it up guys and girls! :thumb:

Dammit... Forgot to show you the new setup! :) It will ofcourse look better when everything is done, but I just took a pic, to let you see.

[​IMG]

This also required a new DVI-DVI cable, from the pc to my 22"... 10 meters! (And to all you infidels, who don't use the metric system, that would be about 33 feet! :p )

From experience (Especially from Car audio/video) I know that bying cheap cables is baaaaad, mkaaay!? So I went with a thick one, crazy shielded, and goldplated connectors. There is NO difference in my pic whatsoever... Very impressive! :)

Sadly I deleted the pics I took of the 2 cables together... But this might give you an idea... Standard powercable (from 230V to the PSU) next to the DVI-cable...
    Guess which is which! ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jan 2008
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Speaking of us infidels... I'm pretty sure now we measure our monitors differently. There's no way that MONSTER is 22" diagonal.
    The laing DDC I have has 3 cables, Yellow, black, and blue that goes to the tachometer channel.
    -Don't know if that helps you any.:geek:

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

Is it just me, or does it look like the housing on the top where the barbs meet the main part is cracked? Should be simple enough to rewire it. Yellow is +, black is - and blue the tach. I always wire mine onto a 3-pin fan connector for easy hookup, instead of a 4-pin molex like they generally come stock, depending on the rebadger.

Yeah. Looks like a 32"! If that beast were in fact a 22", I'm adopting that standard for penis measurement! :D

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ummh I though he said that he needed 10 m cable to hook the PC seen in the picture also to his 22" screen? Nothing to do with the telly.

Good job all the way with the case. Weird fan-mod :eek:

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

NOOOOO... LOL
    It's a 37"! But the pc is just underneath it, and my keyboard, mouse and game-screen is elsewhere in the room... Hence the 33 foot cable! :)
    E.E.L Ambience <-- You got a 12" penis too? LMAO

Cheapskate <-- I actually found a laying online, with the wires exposed, but that didn't help me... That's why I contacted them... :(

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Jipa got the message! :)
    Thx m8, but the fanmod is needed... If you go back in the blog, you will see why... I dropped my 7950Gx2 down, to make sure I have place for SLI... Then the fan is in the way... But not anymore! :)

8. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

If i remember right the laing draws more power then the average mobo´s fan socket can handle. just for a notice :)

9. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

E.E.L. Ambience <-- It is actually a 4 piece pump... Apparently Apple ordered it with some kind of 2 piece bottom on it... The "crack" you see is in fact an assembly point! :)

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

I never hook it directly to the board anyways. I always use a rheobus, generally a Sunbeam due to it handling 20 watts a channel, and control the pump that way.

No, I didn't mean the vibration dampener on the bottom or anything. I've gotten one DDC (an older one) int he past that had that dampener. I always take it off and bin it, because I replace the tops on the DDC's to enhance performance. Here's what I meant about the cracks in the photo. Could just be the light or perhaps a "mold injection variable" during manufacturing or something.

[​IMG]

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's the flow direction arrow. I thought it was a crack at first too.
    Let me guess- Mac ordered all the wiring to be black.:hehe:

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Dude... you got an incredible 20/20 vision! :) The "crack" you see, is actually just a scratch from when I cut the hoses from the G5 cooling! I actually got a cut worse than that in my finger... Stupid stupid stupid me... LOL

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. hahahah, okay. It just looked like it was cracked to me. Yeah, there's the flow arrow, but I think it's only on the outlet barb, right? I honestly can't remember. I always toss 'em, lol.

Edit: Forgot to tell you. I can across this a few mins ago. It should help ya on the wiring for the DDC. It's a tutorial on modding a DDC to a DDC+. If it's not too much trouble, just back out the four screws from the bottom and see what wire is what in comparison. Linky

Last edited: 5 Jan 2008
  14. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Looking neat and clean with the fans. :)

Where are you from i CPH?

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

OMG.. How's that for service??

E.E.L. Ambience <-- Thx for the link M8. I actually found this one myself, but couldn't get it to work... No idea why, and I got frustrated! Untill... I got reply from Laing.de who actually bothered to reply to my emails, several times, even though I told them straight up that I had a pump from a G5, that i would like to put into a pc... Hence, no money to them from a product or anything... A guy named Christopher mailed me back, and told me how he thought it should be connected, though he wasn't sure, since they don't have any schematics for it, because the DDC-1VC is an OEM part! (As far as I know, it's only made for the G5!)

Low and behold, IT WORKED!!! :rock:

I just love these guys! I would call this type of service "Above and beyond!" :clap:

And just to let you guys know the difference in the build of the standard 3.2/3.3 version for PC, And the build for the DDC-1VC 5.4/5.7 version for the G5... Look at this! *LOL*

Pc-Version:

[​IMG]

(ignore the red circle... It's an explanation of how to upgrade to higher flow on this version only)

Mac G5 version (My pump):

[​IMG]

See the difference??? Now who would have ever guessed this?

I'm a happy camper now! And... As bonus we had a repair-guy at work today, who fixed the cnc-mill I usually use... So I guess it's "On with the show" And the upcoming weekend is hereby dedicated to finish both CPU and NorthBridge cooling blocks, and to fabricate the Reservoir.

YAY! :)

RytmeHunden <-- Søborg! :) Hvad med dig? (Sry guys, that is Danish language! lol )

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  16. E.E.L. Ambiense

Awesome! When I saw that closeup shot on that link I figured it would somewhat help with your dilemma. I mean, power is power, regardless the fact of what kind of PC it's going in, right? Glad ya got it figured out and glad it's working.

So, what's next in line for this beaut of a mod?

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

E.E.L Ambiense<-- My thought exactly! So who would have known that they changed the whole frikkin wiring on a board that is almost the same? :grr:
    But again, Thx to Laing.de! :thumb:

So, what's next in line for this beaut of a mod?[/QUOTE] :blush: Thx m8... never thought anyone would say that about my lil' mod! :)

BUT... If you would have read the last post... :p You would have noticed that the upcoming weekend is dedicated to making the CPU and NorthBridge blocks, and creating the reservoir! :)
    So I'll be back with an update sunday the latest! :)

Prepare to be in awe... :hehe:

18. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Cheapskate is going to be soo excited about the blocks hehe.

This is a great mod, keep it up! I want to see those rear i/o ports work :D

19. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Great work so far,the blocks looks awesome :thumb: .

20. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Ey OD.
    Søborg is a nice place. I go there from time to time.. i work at Berendsen.. bet you know that company ;-)

I live in Valby (for you english guys its a little surburb for downtown Copenhagen)

We should get together some time and exchange ideas.. I just got my self a workshop in the beisment of the building that i live in. VERY nice not having to mod in my appartment hehe..

Tags: