1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Hummer PC UPdate (New article in Micro Computer in China)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Robster, 11 Dec 2003.

1. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Now about that water pump... are you gonna mount u/s down in the top of the cargo area of the hummer with a resivour... or is that gonna be a q/d trailer???

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

That should be pretty bad for them. I know the max some seagate drives can sustain is 350g of acceleration. It was labeled that "Warenty void if drive is subject to force in excess of 350Gs."
    But a continuous bumping around would be bad. What was that quantity called. Like having a pencil sit on the palm of your hand for 5 days compaund to having a logging truck run over your hand for a total period of 2 seconds? Obviously your hand would be squished from the tow truck. But the heads on the hdd would get bumped around so much and weaconed, they would lose their track on the hdd platter. But with the 350G, they would just spring back into place.

wow.. was I baboling there? so much text for something fairly simple. Oh well.

Hey, when you have it all done, you should see what kind of towing capacity it has. Riding it to a LAN party would be kinda funny.

About the water pump. You could save some space by using a closed system. Just use a T connector to fill/bleed the system.

And I should say again how much of an awesome mod this is. :clap:

<off topic>
    OK, well, thanks anyways Malfeo. hmmm... would you be willing to share the progy with me? Would it be ok with your buddy if you did? or how about the source?
    </off topic>

Last edited: 15 Dec 2003
  3. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Well, if he rigs up some suspension, and only uses it on flat surfaces (like floors of LAN events, etc), then he would be fine. If this guy implements towable drives, then I assume he won't be racing round a car park with them....

You gotta love the way that the Seagates say that the warrenty aint void unless we go over 350G's. Does that mean I can drop it out the window?

4. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

When I said tow the hard drives, I did not mean to tow them while the computer was on. To tow the hard drives meant the computer would be off. Since the heads auto park when powered off, it can sustain mild bumps.

5. sqaulidhummer

sqaulidhummer What's a Dremel?

omg , thats sweet :eeek:

6. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

7. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

We demand an update!

:clap:

8. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I know.... :rolleyes:

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Nope,

We want...A SHRUBBERY!!!

10. lord nicon21

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

i want a A SHRUBBERY and a update :clap: :clap:

11. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yes a SHURBBERY and an update would be nice. :rock:
    and if you don't have time to do more work on it and update, then you'll just have to make time. UNDERSTOOD????
    :lol:

12. Stanmanfoo

Stanmanfoo What's a Dremel?

just now seeing this mod: :jawdrop:

Bravo, mate.

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

I second that :rock: :rock: :lol:

14. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

350 G's ?!?!? ermmm that doesn't sound right. 1 G = the amount of force gravity applies to a static object. 2 G is obviously twice that much. Pilots black out between 7-10 G's. Wings start to fall off airplanes at 12.... You get the picture.

15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yes, I know what a G is. And I thought the exact same thing. My boss and I had a small discussion about it too. and also verified there was NO sine of a decimal point anywhere on that number.
    But thats EXACTLY what it said on the label. :eeek: If I still had the drive here at work, I would post a pic to prove it (not to be arogant or anything.)

Taking apart other drives and seeing how delicate they are makes it pretty hard to beleive that the drive could sustain 350Gs

I beleive the drive was a 15gig. It was in an old hp machine. celly 533 I think

16. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I'll second that. I studied the lables on my Barracude IV and Barracuda V for some time, searching for that lucraticve decimal place. And there are none! Will post a pic as soon as I get a digital camera! Drive is right next to me cause I can't be bothered to finish this case.

17. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

w00t! I'm not crazy :rock:
    Well, not all of the time :p

18. lord nicon21

lol just most of the time :worried:

19. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

ill 3rd that 350g's warrenty void malarky!
    when i first read that i larfed so hard.
    but it comes to light its not acceleration that would be the problem evident in this case, it would rather be the opposite. DECELLERATION.
    If you were to drop the hard drive, it would go from the speed it falls to 0mph when it hits the floor, a very large gain in G's.
    Now im no physician but hopefulyl some really smart/nerdy guy will enlight us with some incredible complicated math!
    Hell im only 15! i havnt even been taught this shizm!
    anywho, totally babled on.
    Bakc to topic.

Great ride mate! b0y would i l0ve a RC as big as yours!
    I have all the cars boats planes etc and i thought i had it all. but a 1/6th car :| christ that thing blew my socks off!
    it really is something your doing and i know it will look the part! its a hummer for petes sake!
    Keep up the good work and an update would be rather nice :p

20. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Well, you're right. I could work out the G's as it hits the floor from certain heights, but i'm not that sad...(OK, i'll have a go...)

Anyway, back on topic.....hows the Hummer going? Is it having a new paint job? Metallic blue would be nice.