1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Hummer PC UPdate (New article in Micro Computer in China)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Robster, 11 Dec 2003.

1. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

dropping seagates

BTW, using VERY dodgey physics, I find that (using rough values) if we drop it from 20m, it would hit with a force of 20G's. 50m=30G's..thats a real rough estimate, and I'm pretty sure it's wrong....

This is assuming that it takes 0.1s to deceletare.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2003
  2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

The factor of how many G's incurred when an object comes to a complete stop is not soly dependant upon from what height the object is droped from, it's also affected by the give in the surface it hits, and how easily deformed (how much leway) the actual object has inherant to it's configuration. A hard drive droped from 10 feet directly onto a surface with the solidity of concrete would be in the 300-400 G range. But again, this is dependant upon how much give the actual drive casing has. If it's a flexable drive casing, then it might only incur 20-30 G's. Whereas if it's a super solid unbreakable casing, then it'll get numbers in excess of 400. Believe me, I know this stuff.

3. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the lack of updates was a busy weekend around here had a halo xbox tourney on sat then had a guy do an overnight lan that day as well so took all my time and by sunday was just to tired to do much of anything.

The truck is going to get some new paint i know that the modding code is to do everything yourself but hey i just can't seem to do much with an airbrush so have an artist freind that will be airbrushing a new paint job on the truck.

As for the hard drive it will be mounted in the truck under the motherboard seeing as this truck will be more for show then go i am not to worried about the drive being damaged i am only going to use it as a rc once in a while just to show that it does work and this willl only be indoors and not for very long.(not going to jump a house or anything with it) although that would be cool.

So with any luck will be able to do a little more tonight hope to get the drive mounted and the base together so will update later if i get a chance.

4. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

That's right. That will determine the time it takes to decellerate.

Yay!!! Updates!! Keep them coming...I'll be waiting :lol: :dremel:

5. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I was just gonna reply with some of that physics stuff. But since we have the values already figured, I don't need to. I did work out what it would be in my head, and I figured from about 35M off the floor onto shaggy carpet, dropped on a corner diagonally, it would get about 350-400Gs. Although that was with large rounding errors and estimation on start Velocity to end velocity, with torque taking away from the Gs.
    Could be way off on those now come to think of it. I was getting to sleep when working those figures out.

And w00t for updates. and I hear ya for the sleepieness.

6. Bildonia

Bildonia What's a Dremel?

update us!! i need to see how good its coming along!!

7. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

:rock: we need pictures

8. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

what does being a MD have to do with physics?
    Or did he mean physisest(Yes I know SP, But you get the jist...)

9. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a physicist!

Looks cool ;)

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

/me slaps Yo-DUH_87.

We want more updates. With pics. Please sir.

11. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I think by the time he has a chance to do an update, there will be at least 2 pages of requets(DEMANDS) from us to do it.
    And this may just end up to be the project log with the most on topic posts ever (sort of) :lol:

12. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Killer Paint Job? W000000t This is soooooo gonna rock DUDE!!!

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

:lol: we :rock:

:dremel: <- this guy wants an update and is growing impaitent.

14. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Oopsie... me hindsight was a bit blinded...

Ok, I re-viewed the pic posties and I see the nice little blue plexi res. placed under the hood... but what about the pumpy thingie???

15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yeah, we may all have to get together and go over to his place of residence... :naughty:

ok, maybe we should be giving him back his forum now... and he did say he was quite tired from the weekend.

The paint job should be pretty awesome, esp. from a pro.

16. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

:D :lol: This is one project with the most 'anticipation' charged replies ever! Maybe even more than Orac!

17. r3men4nt

r3men4nt What's a Dremel?

Yes well unlike you little f00s i can go see this project when its finished.

BWAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA! *phew* gimme a second *catches breath* HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

18. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Hey, I live only Salmon Arm BC... I'll come over there and wip your.. or ehm... help out with the modding and stuff :rock:

Edit: for spelling mistakes

Last edited: 17 Dec 2003
  19. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

your'll wip WHAT :worried:

20. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

<sarcasm> I can not say since the swear filter will block it. Use your imagination... and bbe prepaired, cause I'm packing up my cans o' woop - ***!!! And noe they aint expired! Fear me.. for I will stick my finger into my spinning fan! :p </sarcasm>

Just jokin' around :lol: