1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project M8 (CaseLabs M8 workstation mod) COMPLETED! Final pics on page 33

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by p0Pe, 13 Apr 2011.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

3 more photo´s because I just got it fittet:D I need to take 0.25 mm off the "clamp" plates. But that is already done, and the main part will be printet tomorrow:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be back tomorrow morning:D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's a neat idea, but you will need a way to pull it free. I've had a few 24 pin plugs that were an atomic *itch to get out. I'd hate to think what this will be like.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Wow so precise it's stuck, madness :D.

3d printing is something I might consider using at some point if I can't think of a way to fab a complex idea in a diy way, love the cable wrap around piece though, really nice idea, bet those could be sold for a nice price :).

You've been pushing the innovation with cables mate, was it you who first did the 24 pin holes for the ATX cable with beto for nice cable upgradability, I think it was the first time I seen it done anyway.

Not sure where this is going but that's how I like it & I'm sure it will rock as always :D.

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Already thought of that:p Just a flat object in each side and pry it out:) From what i have testet so far, it should be doable:D If not, well, then it really dont "need" to come off lol!

Thank you Waynio:D It was actually a little "to" precise, so i had to shave off 0.25 milimeter of the clamps :p
    I was quite proud of the cable manegement in pc-beto, but i think that most people who saw the mod did not really notice, so for this one i am going all in:D
    The next mod is already on the planning board, where I also will use the 3d printer lol :D

Small update, threw the finished part in the printer this morning before i had to drive to work:D
    [​IMG]

So in 7 hours and 110 cm^3 of material, it will be ready for the acid bath!

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, I'm not too keen on it...
    (not that I need to be, but since this is a public worklog, you must expect personal opinions, right?).

Sorry, but I just don't really see the point of it - if the idea is to hide the "entrance of the cables into the PSU", then why would you want to substitute a nice, black connector with a big, white block?

Would a metal shield, painted black and with nice grommets for the cables to pass through have been a more elegant solution? Of course, it would need some more manual labor to complete, but I envision that the result would be visually nicer than this.

Having said that, I do realize that you're not done yet, so... surprise me? ;)

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Thanks for telling your oppinion Mads:D It means a lot!:clap:

And dont worry:) I understand your thoughts, and am happy to say that i think you will be surprised :D

7. Nutman

Hey, I expect nothing less from you. ;)

8. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Interesting :) Curious to see how this one goes. Not often you get 3d printing involved in mod projects :eek:

9. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I dont expect you to expect less:D

I think its the price tag that scares most people away:lol:

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

11. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Can you print wax with that 3D printer? If so you could make aluminium parts using lost wax casting.

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Hahaha:D Never saw that one before mate!

The other machine we have prints wax as support material, but that melts away at 90 degrees, so I dont think it will hold the what, 700 degrees it takes to melt aluminium:p

Now what is this? Another update :O

[​IMG]

Parts as they looked pulled from the printer!

[​IMG]

Again,

[​IMG]

And as they look with the support material. You can partly see a little "easter egg" I made here:p

[​IMG]

After getting the worst support material off, it looks like this

[​IMG]

And this:p

[​IMG]

And this xD The more support material I can "break" off, the less the acid have to melt away.
    And yeah, I really need to cut my nails!

[​IMG]

A little size comparison versus a hand that I found lying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then drop it into the acid bath! Looks tasty right? It aint, and it DON'T smell good lol... Like getting a hedgehog shoved up your nose.

[​IMG]

Now lets fast forward 15 hours, and the part is ready to take out!

[​IMG]

Clean as a whistle:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics of the finished part. You wont really see the "Made by pope" inthere, but I thought it was a fun little thing to do, even tough it will be covered up:p And if anyone should steal the case i have proof its mine trololol!

[​IMG]

To cover the hole thing up, I cut this plate. The plan is to cut some sort of pattern in it, don´t quite know what yet. I might print this in 3d instead to get a consistant look.

[​IMG]

Last but not least, how it sits on the psu.
    "But hey, somethings missing?"
    Yup, the lower part will be done seperatly. And why this?

The top part house only wires that will run to the motherboard, and the lower part is going out to everything else. Why this is a good idea, I will show in a later update, since its hard to explain:D

Hope you enjoyd! I have more parts in the printer, so another update is on the way!

13. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Beautiful! Just... Wow... :jawdrop:

14. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Looks good, my only concern is that you could run out of ideas by the time you finish your PSU Mods !!

15. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

HOLY COWS !!!!
    Dam that really looks sweeeeeetettttt :D
    I want wan

16. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

seriously, Pope! you f'ing rock!

17. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

...Nice.

18. Nutman

And I don't expect you to expect me to ex..... oh, forget. Let's move on. :D

Well, the idea behind casting is to create a solid form that will melt away easily when poured over with hot metal. That solid form you wrap in something that will withstand the heat and forms what will become the mold. So, 90 degrees celcius sounds like a fine temperature to me?

The 3D printed stuff is slightly yellowed - is it safe to assume that you will paint those parts later on?

If yes, what does it take to make the paint stick to it? A good plastics primer?

19. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Glad you like it:D

Hehe, lets hope I dont:D

If you have a AX PSU, hit me up:p

Thank you very much :D

:rock:

Ahh, I forgot how casting works lol:D

And paint is sooooo 2010 :) If I decide to make them another color I will use dye :) Gives a better result with plastic parts:rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFif1YXe6CE&feature=related

Will of course make some testing before throwing the parts in:D

Right now I am just deciding whether to keep the black and white scheme, or go crazy with something like yellow or green:lol:

20. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

I will keep that in mind for my next mod ^^