1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project M8 (CaseLabs M8 workstation mod) COMPLETED! Final pics on page 33

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by p0Pe, 13 Apr 2011.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Small teaser before i make a small but important update, camera needs to recharge :p

[​IMG]

2. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

OK, time for the update!

As you might have noticed by looking at my previous mod, PC-Beto, I like to have tidy cable routing in the case. This will be no different.

The plan is to get a fully modular PSU, and make every cable that have to go to the motherboard, go behind the mobo tray.
    To do this, I will be using a 3D printer.

Now, all the haters that sometimes crawl up from their holes yelling "bwuuhuuh CNC machining is killing modding, and it have nothing to do with creativity" better slam their head against a wall and GTFO beacuse this machine is EPIC!

[​IMG]

What you see in this picture is the part almost completet with support material at the bottom, and the actual plastic 3d print on top. It is obvious that you cant print into thin air, so it needs some sort of support structure in certain places. Other than that, it works almost just like a normal printer, exept that it prints in multiple layers to give the third dimension.

[​IMG]

The finished part, this particular part took 5 hours to print. I could have cut the time down by having set the density of the printet material to 75 percent, but I wanted it to be sturdy.

[​IMG]

And this is what I will actually be using it for! Routing the 24 pins cables.

[​IMG]

On the backside the cables will run and join with cables from grafic cards and 8 pins, that I have yet to design. Note, this is mearly a prototype, and not likely to look anything like the final version, I just wanted to see if the concept would work, and it most certainly does!

[​IMG]

Now, I will have to do some milling into the motherboard plate to make it fit perfectly, and a cover plate will go onto the whole section.

[​IMG]

Also wanted to see how it looks when painted black. I need to fill the part down better beacuse you can still see the different layers from the printer. To make it entirely smooth, I have to hit it with some sanding love.

[​IMG]

You can also tap it (pun intended)

[​IMG]

How the white version would look,

[​IMG]

And the black. I think I will stick with black. It seems to fit in the best with the white wirering.

And on another note, I sold my three 360 mm radiators! Replacements should be here within two weeks, and boy am I exited to get them!

Now, back to the drawing board. I have a few cosy hours infront of the computer in a 3d program to kill to finish up the cads to the cable system! And the a few days of printing lol:D

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I like the white bracket, which by the way is a seriously cool mod. I'm always trying to think of different ways to do cable tidying if some one actually made stuff like that it would be ideal.
    Or maybe if some one wanted to make one for me.............lol
    Nice work dude.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2011
  4. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

ok 3d printing, cool, not destroying modding, got it now! :D

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

:jawdrop: :rock: :naughty: You Dope, you gave me a dose I never had before. You my friend.... :rock:

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Oh and if I might ask how much those pieces costs? I was planning a year ago to create a 3d printer but plans went down due to financial problems, then I looked for companies but they were expensive as hell !!!

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Aaaaaaaaaaand one more thing!

HAPPY BDAY DOPEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

8. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

3d printing.
    That is on today's leading edge of technology & very cool..

Last edited: 21 Jun 2011
  9. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Wow milling, alu / steel welding and 3d printing OMG :jawdrop: :rock: :jawdrop: defiantely subbed to this just to see what else you come up with

10. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Thanks dude:D If you can draw it yourself, then feel free to pm me, and maybe we can work something out :thumb:
    I actually think you are right regarding the colors, and i might stick to the white version. Will try and mount it when i print the final version and see if it looks good!

:D

Haha thank you Alex! Plenty more coming as soon as i can get the rest of the parts drawed and printet:D Working trough some different designs, and changes now, to better keep the cables in place:)

That particulary part would cost me ( i get a 25% discount on material) around 20bucks. But that dont count in machine hours and maintanence. I only have to pay for the material:D

And thanks for the B-day regards:D Got myself plenty of cake and presents :rock:

Its all about trying something new:D

Got a few things in the sleeve you might like:D

Mini update, since i just got a full time job in the summer vacation, i will have some time to mod on this:D Mostly i will have to make drawings the next couple of weeks, but i have an inbound delivery that calls for its own update when it gets here :rock:

11. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Looking at that wire routing block, you could skip the wire altogether and make a cool connector that runs around the back of the board. Unless, of coarse, you want to see the wires. But that 3d printing has all sorts of possibilities. :)

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I am actually tinkering with that at the moment. One problem is that i dont know what motherboard i am going to use in the case, another on is that it would have to be split into two, to actually get on the mobo:D But this might be the route i am going. Right now, its the grafic card cable system that is giving me the most headache :wallbash:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Think it's about time I subbed :D, looking great p0pe :thumb:.

14. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Thanks man! Hopefully I should have some updates for you soon, but am still messing around trying to figure out what mobo to use :D
    Also have to buy a PSU -.-

15. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

p0Pe, What program did you use to create the model? I'm almost ready to start my build log, and have one piece on its way from a 3D printer, but my MoBo tray was too expensive to do originally, and then they cancelled my second attempt because they claim its too weak. You mind if I shoot you some Sketch-up models of what I'm trying to do?

16. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Nice work man ! Subbed!

17. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Fire away man:) I´ve pm´d you an email you can send the files too.
    I am using autodesk inventor for the most. I will upload a video of the 3d part, and some functions in inventor i think.

Thank you KoSoVaR!

18. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

det er ikke noget problem

19. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

You've got PM :D

20. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice start to a new mod p0Pe :thumb:, on that 3D printer could you have the wires in place and print over them, thereby creating some very neat cable management?