1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project PC-70 (Mocha70) update 12/6/2010

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Burnout21, 21 Dec 2009.

1. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I'd say black over the orangey/gold.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Spent a little time today translating the physical dimensions of the case into solidworks to create a 3d assembly.

'Digital modding'

Anyway after 2hr 32min of ball aching rendering it spits this out

[​IMG]

I hope to have the whole case fully featured soon, i personally hate motherboard trays, its the offsets i hate. oh well done it before, do again! lol!

EDIT

MOAR PICS

rip off of EK spin res, something i can laser cut and bond together

[​IMG]

and one installed, well sort of! lol!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Mar 2010
  3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Yesterdays modding adventures!

Had a little spare time, so out came the drill and jigsaw.

The little plate MDK kindly made on his CNC punch, accepts both a 120mm and 140mm fans, with enough side room for radiators, you'll see what i mean. So line it up,

[​IMG]

Mark it out with a marker pen

[​IMG]

Jigsaw fun to create 'clearance', lol!

[​IMG]

Fan installed

[​IMG]

On the backside, fans and rad assembly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now anyone who has owned a lian li such as a PC-60/5 or PC-70/5 or any case with similar front panel, will know the little plastic pegs at the bottom that supports the front panel.

Well there crap, and when i got the case failed to see them and snapped the sods off when removing the panel. So little bit of acrylic (can't see it now) and buckets of epoxy, drill it and fit some M4 bolts. Job done

[​IMG]

Before i started thinking about having a new front panel made, i filled and primed the lower section of the case to hide the hacked up USB port door and badge recess.

[​IMG]

Finally, flipped the fan controller around to hide it internally. The cooling ability of this case means I should be able to set the fan speed low and leave it.

Also modded a Lian li EX-34 drive cage to reduce its size, pulled the front of it off so I could move it further forward to hide it better.

front shot,

[​IMG]

Just enough room left for an optical drive in the bottom, due to this i have been thinking about the front panel design a little more.

One thing i want in the end is a case that is as future proofed as possible, hardware changes but the case can stay the same for years.

*Thanks for the move bindi*

Last edited: 2 Mar 2010
  4. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Great worklog, and I really dig the color choice because you don't see it too often. "Root Beer Brown" is the name you're looking for I think.

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see more! :dremel:

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

right now the project is on hiatus due to my degree thesis, hopefully pick this back up in july...

Right now the machine is in use, just slapped together so i could use it for rendering as i really needed both machines under water cooling for the work there doing.

Renders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was thinking about making a 2.5in SSD rack which would mount above the front 120mm fan.

The internal baffle would been seen due to the stock lian li window (which i hate), however the upper section wouldn't be seen.

Partial build image

[​IMG]

Sort of been holding out on you guys i know, made some feet for the case, but still thinking on if i like them enough yet.

6. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Coming along well, good job.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

totally under estimated the time required during my final year of uni, thought I had it in the bag hence why I started this.

Well i was wrong and modding at the moment is on the back boiler, as well as my time devoted to this forum.

Bindi reminded me of the Voodoo Omen, and well its not far off the size of this case, so whilst i review what is going on, i shall also review the general appearance of this case, as it has the cooling ability i wanted.

DRC™ likes this.
  8. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I lvoe the idea of this case, and the colour!!! It looks like its going to be a good un!

DRC™ likes this.
  9. Danny

Danny What's a Dremel?

Looking good. :thumb:

DRC™ likes this.
  10. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Interesting project mate, I have a PC-70 for sale at the moment (as you know because you want the side panels haha) but I may keep it and mod it depending on how your build goes :D

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Haha, i am back

Got to play with the waterjet on Thursday, cut out some new parts but ran out of material :(

[​IMG]

First up was a new front panel for the case, i changed the design to allow for more air flow.

[​IMG]

So from this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

There is a lot more work to do on that panel, including a new power button and USB ports.

Next piece I cut was a head ache as the waterjet head kept crashing on the job, but it got there in the end after cutting 3! lol!

A new PSU mounting plate, i loved the old one but this design is far more useful to me.

So the old one

[​IMG]

Little work

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

makes better use of the space above the PSU.

[​IMG]

Short sweet update, but hopefully it'll come together pretty quick now

Last edited: 12 Jun 2010
  12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Forgot to mention, CAD renders laters!

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ok, renders long over due....

This is where i want the project to end up, one day....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One problem i have at the moment is the side panel, its the horrid stock lian li windowed panel, and i would rather have a normal side panel.

14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

This is coming on very smootly mate, nice 1!

Andy

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

lol, painfully slow!

16. domthecondom

domthecondom Noob Modder

check Lian li if they have a stock panel ;)

17. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Really nice case!!!

Congratulations!!!

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

news

Some chap on ebay was selling a replacement solid side panel with a little damage (small dent) in silver and i picked it up for cheap compared to order new.

So with luck it'll turn up within the week.

Side news is i've moved back home after uni which sucks and since then real life has got in the way. I've since stepped back from the project and have been thinking if its going in the right direction at the moment. Hopefully i shall have an update before the end of august as to where its heading.

Either way the top fan/rad grill causes airflow to make far to much noise, with needs fixing!

19. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

this looks awesome :I

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've been on the great job hunt since June so money is a little tight or better spent else where at the moment. The machine was rushed back into use, so the noise levels it emits are far higher than i ever wanted, the northbridge may as well be on fire without a 60mm fan running flat out to cool it, and i can't speed control the fan because i can't hook it up to my over populated fan controller.

So right now, i am trying to best plan where this project heads, i want to finish it but not in any form of compromise. So bare with me on this one.

This mofo is going to be silent when im done with it!

Also the handles i fitted shall be coming off as they ruin the whole visual appeal, plus in my hast of fitting them, i deformed the top panel, its now cupped if that makes sense. I want every panel on this to be straight as an arrow, with perfect gaps between panels. I am very very fussy!