1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

You know Jesse, earlier in this log, you mention that some of my work has inspired this case... Well, this case is inspiring my next project. In fact, I've decided that I'm not starting a new project until I can get my hands on a CNC mill... even if I build my own! Keep up the outstanding work!

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Oh sorry I must have missed that lol.

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Holy jumpin', 25GB bandwidth exceeded already!

I'll fix the picture issue tomorrow.

Sorry folks.

4. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

you bandwidth for your images have exceeded =[

5. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Blast! :grr:

6. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Problem fixed now... upgraded to photobucket pro.

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2008
  7. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Looking good fella.. :thumb:
    I just took delivery of one of these "copper boxes"..
    So, I am very interested in this project..
    MS

Last edited: 27 Jul 2008
  8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@modsquad - Thanks mate, and Goodluck with your own pc-a60c - Not that you'll need any luck... boy, you got game! (Try not to put me to shame too bad).

A small text update:
    I've ordered a number of small aesthetic copper bits off eBay - everything from copper ribbon wire to fishing rod parts. I may have gotten a bit carried away because I've started bidding on a 1987 Buick Grand National, we'll see if I win tomorrow afternoon.

I've also ordered 100x5000mcd White LEDs and 100xLED chrome holders/mounts.
    With those comes the need to convert the chrome mounts to copper, so I got my hands on a case of 6x8oz cans of Krylon Premium Metallic Copper Brilliance spray paint - it too has yet to arrive but I've read that it looks just like copper plating.

This weekend I also spent a few hours in Rhino, modifying my CAD drawings to incorporate some of the revisions suggested to me by the machinist. Hopefully I'll have some precision aluminum prototypes cut this week.

I expect delivery #2 of 4 of my watercooling parts tomorrow, along with the GTX 280ssc cards - upgrade compliments of eVGA.
    The AquaComputer components will be sent out to me Monday (hopefully).

I'm in the middle of correspondence with an Indian manufacturer of Copper Braided Sleeving for the tubes and wires. I hope I've finally found a supplier in the form of Sree Lal Guru Industries, despite their reluctance to provide such a small quantity.
    If anyone knows of a NorthAmerican source for "Bare Copper Braided Sleeving" willing to sell small quantities, please link me.

The last remaining unordered component will be the MIPs 4 RAM Cooler.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel now.

I'm on the lookout for a several LED controllers that will support 100 LEDs, something that will allow me to create a custom light show in and on Prometheus... if anyone knows of a source for such a product please let me know... it's proving -like so many of the parts for this project- very elusive.

Tune in soon, and Thanks for reading.

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I forgot to ask:

Anyone know where I can get my hands on the Lian-Li copper PSU to match this case?
    [​IMG]

10. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

psu available september according to your link

Case looks amazing! i too was not sure about the copper, but this makes me a believer...COPPER RULES!!!

11. The boy 4rm oz

A copper PSU? Looks damn sexy IMHO.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i had to google that to find out about, and this raised a question for me? why is it americans can produce such little power from a 4.1L V6 thats lives in the Buick GN. i mean 4.1L for 125hp, my 1.8L focus produces 113hp! yes that V6 will pump out more torque but still such piss poor hp!

the lian li PSU dose look nice, but is it any good? would it be better to strip a good power supply and get it copper plated? my view YES.

13. The boy 4rm oz

Burnout raises a valid point. Only downside is that you won't have an awesome fan grill like the one on the Lian Li lol.

14. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Asulc - Thanks man, but that PSU has been available since September of 2007.

@The boy 4rm oz - I have to agree, a copper PSU is hot.

@Burnout21 - 1) The Buick Grand National has a turbo charged 3.8L V6, that was a V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off, it produced 200 some HP stock. When I'm done with that Grand National it will be a 10sec 1/4 mile w/o breaking a sweat - There are people out there who have pulled that down to 8sec. That's the beauty of the Grand National; it's popularity hasn't yet caught on and it's price is still fairly low. A stock GN will match, and likely eat, a 911 in acceleration. It is in the opinion of many, the last muscle car.

2) My plan was to get my hands on the LiLi PSU, rip it apart, and stuff my 1200watt silverstone inside. Worst case scenario, I construct a new PSU case from copper plate. I just wanted to pair both of LiLi's limited copper components.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

If you win the buick GN can we expect a project log? well actually you got no option there, as you will do a project log on it! lol!

back on topic, i can see why you want to get the lian li PSU to keep the special theme going, i just looked at the pic and thought, dang that looks like a cheap PSU inside a shiney box.

mod on!!

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Burnout21 - I think that the LiLi PSU is perdy. As for a GN project log... we'll see.

Parts update for the masses:
    I recieved a package of watercooling supplies today.

First up - a D-Tek Fuzion rev 2 with quad core nozel insert (insert not installed in below images).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FeserOne Orange non-conductive coolant, I'd have preferred black but since I'll be using black tubing and no reservoir I don't see the difference... and neither will anyone else, hehehe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20x Bitspower Hig Flow 1/2 barbs - dark nickel plated edition.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the difference between the Bitspower fittings and the stock DangerDen and D-Tek ones.
    [​IMG]

A Black DangerDen Fillport
    [​IMG]

Last but most certainly not least... 15' of Opaque Black Primochill Primoflex 1/2ID tubing.
    [​IMG]
    I was quite surprised by the width of the wall, I guess I don't have to worry about puncture leaks... too much.
    [​IMG]

That's all for now folks, tune in soon!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2008
  17. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I was browsing performance PC's just now and found this a very small 2x40mm radiator.

I'm now thinking about watercooling the Pico-ITX also, not for any real performance boost...I just think it'd be cool. Anyone have any recommendations for a very low profile waterblock that would cool both the CPU and the chipset -I'm thinking thermal adhesive to hold the block in place- and a very tiny pump? Seeing as the Pico can just about run without any cooling whatsoever performance for these parts isn't important, just something small enough to fit.

Picture of the PicoITX board layout can be found here.

[edit]
    I'm thinking this GPU waterblock bolted to a piece of copper plate that will cool the entire motherboard. I'm looking towards GPU coolers due to their side mounted intake/outake, and I'm looking at this one because it's cheap.
    I've found this pump... but I'd prefer something smaller and cheap.
    [/edit]

Opinions are welcome and encouraged.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2008
  18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

haha, i saw that a few years back, was kinda developed for people using shuttles, P-series i think as they have 40mm fans above the PSU.

would be sweet, but a tad over kill, i think id rather see something cooler!

19. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Cooler?... I don't know if I'll find any phase-shift solutions small enough to fit.

Seriously though...what could be cooler than a liquid Pico? I'd like to keep the cooling budget on the $200 mobo thar doesn't need cooling under $100 also...haha.

20. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Check out picking up a Coolermaster Aquagate Viva for cheap ($30)... They have a decent little radiator, and a low profile block/pump combo. I've got one for an upcoming watercooled router project, and I think it would be easily adapted to the pico motherboard.